Looking for new high/mid-range headset

JerrBear

I currently have the HyperX Cloud 2 headset and recently it has been making static / fuzzy sounds on certain sounds and the mic went to shit out of nowhere.

I thought it had great audio while it lasted however now it's gone. I tried to buy a logitech G933 while it was having some issues however their sound quality was garbage, the mic was terrible, and the build quality/structure literally gave me a headache.

I'm looking to spend around $150-350. Closed back preferably since I dislike major sound leakage.

I plan to use these for music, gaming, movie watching, etc. Some kind of surround sound would be great.                       (I'd keep perf/$ in mind too, I don't want to spend $100 more on something unnoticably better.)

Can anyone give me a point in the right direction? Is an expensive headset with the modmic attachment better? Maybe a sennheiser gaming headset... I've heard they have great sound and mics.

I'm pretty clueless about the audiophile community and where to look so I appreciate any help!

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

I use and recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs, but someone is bound to call me out on liking them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I use an recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs, but someone is bound to call me out on liking them. 

Last time I recommended the M50Xs, someone wrote a paragraph telling me how my opinion was wrong.  I like them though.  I'm not an audiophile or anything of the sort, so these sound great to me.

Just now, lilbman said:

someone wrote a paragraph telling me how my opinion was wrong.

I'd like to read that xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Tacanacy said:

These are closed-back headphones I've come across that people like for gaming:

• AKG K550
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
  • Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Shure SRH940
  • V-MODA Crossfade M-100

When you choose closed-back, you generally get a much smaller soundstage and less accurate imaging.

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. VSS can sound more ambient and immersive, which will depend on the processor (CMSS-3D, Dolby, SBX, etc.), but it degrades the sound quality and diminishes detailing due to compression from digital processing. You might also experience less accurate imaging and separation with headphones that have good imaging and separation properties. Note that a deep soundstage is equally important as a wide soundstage. Soundstage is best achieved with open-back.

Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned across the soundstage. Imaging is inherent to the audio content, so if the game is recorded or mixed poorly, a headphone with good imaging won’t improve the positional audio.

Separation is separating individual sounds from a range of sounds. Good separation properties make it easier to filter out or discern overlapping sounds from other sounds and track them.

Interesting, are there open back headphones that don't massively leak? I've never tried an open back headset so I really don't know what to expect.

I might have to try one at bestbuy or something...

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

1 minute ago, JerrBear said:

Interesting, are there open back headphones that don't massively leak? I've never tried an open back headset so I really don't know what to expect.

I might have to try one at bestbuy or something...

No, they are the ones that do leak a lot.

Just now, Tacanacy said:

No, they are the ones that do leak.

I understand, however I've never used them so I don't know how bad they leak.

If someone 2 meters away could hear everything loud and clear, I would not wear them. If it's a small leak it is alright though.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

12 minutes ago, JerrBear said:

If someone 2 meters away could hear everything loud and clear, I would not wear them. If it's a small leak it is alright though.

They probably will.

What do you guys think of the sennheiser gaming headset?

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

10 hours ago, JerrBear said:

Most open back headphones don't leak enough for somebody 2 meters away to hear "everything". At 2 meters away at medium-high listening volume the vocals will be the primary part most people would hear leak from the headphones. At lower listening levels, like watching a talk show or listening to voice chat in game, at 2 meters not much would be heard at all. Simple truth- the louder you listen, the more sound that leaks. Headphones aren't loud speakers either so no matter how high you can tolerate listening to them, it won't carry through multiple rooms of a house or anything. Try to find a store locally if possible with any kind of open back headphone to hear for yourself the noise leakage.

5 hours ago, Minbari said:

Most open back headphones don't leak enough for somebody 2 meters away to hear "everything". At 2 meters away at medium-high listening volume the vocals will be the primary part most people would hear leak from the headphones. At lower listening levels, like watching a talk show or listening to voice chat in game, at 2 meters not much would be heard at all. Simple truth- the louder you listen, the more sound that leaks. Headphones aren't loud speakers either so no matter how high you can tolerate listening to them, it won't carry through multiple rooms of a house or anything. Try to find a store locally if possible with any kind of open back headphone to hear for yourself the noise leakage.

I've been researching the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO headsets, mic seems solid and I've seen very good reviews for them. Later today going to pop by best buy to see if I can try em on. I'll check out the open back headphones too.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q