MSI Gaming Pro Carbon vs. Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K5

Go to solution Solved by Salacious B Crum,
13 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

@mrbilky @He_162 Thank you, it's really good to see personal experiences around this topic, but I'd like to see evidence from the ones that say MSI's components aren't that good. Again, thank you for the information.

@Shiv78 @Damascus Would you guys explain to me what you're saying about MSI's VRMs and stability issues?

My recommendation is to go over on msi's site and read through some there, everybody has the right to an opinion it has been my experience with this stuff that a few bad issues get posted then the responses you see are 2nd, 3rd 4th even 5th hand news just being passed on so the issue appears larger than reality I have read bad reviews for every single am4 board out there and they all have the same tune "I heard or I read" or someone has a bad experience with an RMA and the next thing you know the board manufacturer is toast and as a side note although I didn't have any board issues with either of my rigs Ryzen is young and they gave no time for manufacturers to work out the bugs so we see allot of that being posted most have been rectified

I've been looking for an X370 motherboard for a while now and I just found these two for the same price in local stores:

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productFeature-section

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K5: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-rev-10#kf

I feel more attracted by the Pro Carbon, but I do not dislike the Aorus either, so are there any pros/cons between them? I mean, are there any missing features in one of them? I checked both manufacturers' websites and I noticed they're quite similar, same I/O (pretty much), same PCIe distribution, both have plenty of RGB LEDs and slot reinforcements. Please, let me know if there are any important differences between them so I can make an appropiate choice.

I like GIGABYTE so I'll go with that but there isn't really a difference

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

By the way, I plan to buy a Ryzen 5 1600 and 16GB of RAM @3000MHz (maybe I'll try on overclocking it to 3200MHz).

Just now, Fred Flintstone said:

By the way, I plan to buy a Ryzen 5 1600 and 16GB of RAM @3000MHz (maybe I'll try on overclocking it to 3200MHz).

In that case get either:

ASRock taichi

Asus x370 Prime

Aorus k5/7

The first two have best in class vrms and therefore oc capabilities 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Msi am4 mobos are not at all reliable.

What do you mean by "not reliable"?

Gigabyte! Especially the K7. I’ll be getting the black version, or the K5. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

ASRock taichi

Asus x370 Prime

Aorus k5/7

The Taichi isn't available here, I don't like the Prime and the Aorus K7 is way over my budget :S ... Looks are important too.

I'm seeing that the Pro Carbon has more chokes than the Aorus K5, doesn't that mean better overclocking performance? I'm not much of a tweaker, but I'd like to try and hit 4.0GHz on the Ryzen 5 1600.

6 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I'm seeing that the Pro Carbon has more chokes than the Aorus K5, doesn't that mean better overclocking performance? I'm not much of a tweaker, but I'd like to try and hit 4.0GHz on the Ryzen 5 1600.

Get the K5, MSIs Ryzen boards are unstable (sadly) and have a bad BIOS but I too love the Carbon :(

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

7 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Get the K5, MSIs Ryzen boards are unstable (sadly) and have a bad BIOS but I too love the Carbon :(

Oh, but is it really that bad? It's not that I don't like the Aorus K5, I actually like it, but I read a few weeks ago that it has bad BIOS updates and not enough power phases compared to it's big brother, the K7.

Maybe it's still better than the MSI, but I certainly didn't expect it to be that bad...

I thought both were on par, they look so similar.

In my own opinion MSI has been pretty reliable to me on Z170.I assume they used the same BIOS GUI for Ryzen or am I wronf

2 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Oh, but is it really that bad? It's not that I don't like the Aorus K5, I actually like it, but I read a few weeks ago that it has bad BIOS updates and not enough power phases compared to it's big brother, the K7.

Maybe it's still better than the MSI, but I certainly didn't expect it to be that bad...

Gigabyte does have less frequent ones but they are not bad ones by any means.

I would personally get the Strix if you can afford it or the Gaming Pro

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

I would personally get the Strix

The Strix seems to be overpriced here (sadly), it costs the same as a K7, so it's way over my budget :(...

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

or the Gaming Pro

Do you mean the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon? Or just Gaming Pro?

The Strix seems to be overpriced here (sadly), it costs the same as a K7, so it's way over my budget :(...

Do you mean the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon? Or just Gaming Pro?

The cheapest X370 Mobo basically in your region.VRM's don't matter that much otherwise the 7 year old Dells would be dead

My life

The cheapest X370 Mobo basically in your region.VRM's don't matter that much otherwise the 7 year old Dells would be dead

7 year old dells don;t get overclocked. VRMs DO matter for overclocking, why do you think monoblocks exist?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

7 year old dells don;t get overclocked. VRMs DO matter for overclocking, why do you think monoblocks exist?

By the time they die some other part would have died first or the system is unusable at that point.Assuming you plan to upgrade within the next 5-7 years

My life

By the time they die some other part would have died first or the system is unusable at that point.Assuming you plan to upgrade within the next 5-7 years

I really want to try overclocking, I never did it before. Also, I don't think I'll be upgrading whichever motherboard I pick any time soon, so I want a functional one that can handle a voltage increase for at least 8 hours a day. I'm not a heavy user nor an enthusiast tweaker, but I want both reliability and looks.

Some of you guys said before that MSI's AM4 motherboards are unstable, but is that issue physical? Or is it a matter of firmware optimization?

I have an unreasonable passion against Gigabyte products, I'd go with MSI.

I have yet to have a non-buggy Gigabyte bios, and a few boards fail to reset the bios using any of the buttons (even if it says it did, and you hit save, etc).

I have had that issue for several chipsets as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

2 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I have an unreasonable passion against Gigabyte products, I'd go with MSI.

Well, I can see you have an MSI board paired with a 1600 at 1.3V, did you have any trouble with that couple? Have you tried with higher voltages? I'd like to know your personal experience with it :)...

55 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Well, I can see you have an MSI board paired with a 1600 at 1.3V, did you have any trouble with that couple? Have you tried with higher voltages? I'd like to know your personal experience with it :)...

I am currently running my chip at 1.425v and 3.8ghz, it is stable, and the board gets 53C after a 24 hour load test, so I think it's plenty for what I am doing, but the lack of some BIOS functions, like changing base clock is annoying with the B350 boards, but at least the BIOS works, I haven't had any kind of issue whatsoever with this board, which surprised me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

Get the k5 I wouldn't trust an msi board (also, it may have worse vrms than the k7 but it's still better than the pro carbon) 

To add to the bios conversation I've used two gigabyte boards and they had a great bios, best I've used (used asus and biostar as well)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 hours ago, Damascus said:

Get the k5 I wouldn't trust an msi board (also, it may have worse vrms than the k7 but it's still better than the pro carbon)

What's the problem with MSI's VRMs? I don't know much about this topic, can you explain to me why are Gigabyte's VRMs better? Please :S...

@Shiv78 @Damascus Would you guys explain to me what you're saying about MSI's VRMs and stability issues? Why is Gigabyte better in that regard? I really wanna know, I'm kind of a noob in this world...

I have the pro carbon that had my 1800x in it on release date and it posted and booted right up on build and has been a trooper ever since now housing my 1600x my 1800x is now riding on a asus crosshair hero

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410