980ti => 1080ti worth it?

Go to solution Solved by JohnTheDawn,
5 minutes ago, JJB1729 said:

Not really. Most optimised games run at a stable 80+fps ultra/high and high/medium i get 144fps. The upgrade would mainly be for unoptimised games which need a bit more juice....

Although in typing that out I've kind of talked myself out of it...

from what im seeing a 1080ti gets around 35fps in ark at epic in 1440p, your call.

1 minute ago, porina said:

Interesting question as I'm going through the same. In my case, I'm holding off my decision until I benchmark myself what sort of framerate I'm getting in practice as until recently I've been capped by 60 Hz monitor anyway. Now with a 144 Hz I actually care about going higher! The other caution is, can the rest of the system keep up, although based on an earlier reply that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I haven't checked, have used 980Ti prices gone up again? I paid less than that for one new! Also the 1080Ti at £650 would be rather impressive, if the cooler on it doesn't suck. Been debating various EVGA/Gigabyte models around £700+ mark.

Hop on to Amazon bro, £660 for a GIGABYTE card

13 minutes ago, JohnTheDawn said:

from what im seeing a 1080ti gets around 35fps in ark at epic in 1440p, your call.

xD waiting for ark to leave the early access phase .. so maybe the devs put some hardware optimization in

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Just now, Bl00dgod said:

xD waiting for ark to leave the early access phase .. so maybe the devs put some hardware optimization in

never going to happen, its been in early access since i left iraq.

Just now, Bl00dgod said:

You'll be waiting a while. I love these kinds of games (500+ hours in Ark) but holy crap they love their 'early access' tag - seems like a free pass for poor optimization despite packing on the DLC and new content.

9 minutes ago, JJB1729 said:

Hop on to Amazon bro, £660 for a GIGABYTE card

Been looking recently, and on checking again right now the lowest I see is £677. Ok, not a big difference but it still isn't the £650 originally posted either. My thinking is, if you're going for a card like this, I think it worth paying extra for better air coolers, but the lowest cost ones could be ideal if you're going to slap a waterblock on it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, JJB1729 said:

You'll be waiting a while. I love these kinds of games (500+ hours in Ark) but holy crap they love their 'early access' tag - seems like a free pass for poor optimization despite packing on the DLC and new content.

i saw some announcements on steam that they wanted to leave early access in september or so, they even doubled the price on steam after that announce

so i hope for the best

it might be bad optimized but hands down, the amount of updates and increasing content is a good example for the effort they put in it

not to mention many early access games that just ... "die" or dont get touched by their devs anymore after collecting the money from customers

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

1 minute ago, Bl00dgod said:

i saw some announcements on steam that they wanted to leave early access in september or so, they even doubled the price on steam after that announce

so i hope for the best

it might be bad optimized but hands down, the amount of updates and increasing content is a good example for the effort they put in it

not to mention many early access games that just ... "die" or dont get touched by their devs anymore after collecting the money from customers

Oh I agree hence my play time, but they need to focus optimization rather than pumping out new content. Btw you should check out Dark and Light, made by the same studio (Snail Studios bought Wildcard). It's basically an ARK RPG - same story - unoptimized and buggy but just is fantastc to play (when it works).

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Been looking recently, and on checking again right now the lowest I see is £677. Ok, not a big difference but it still isn't the £650 originally posted either. My thinking is, if you're going for a card like this, I think it worth paying extra for better air coolers, but the lowest cost ones could be ideal if you're going to slap a waterblock on it.

I did say 'about £650' and imo within £27 of £650 justifies using the word 'about'. I wasn't posting it as a price guide for users but just something to take into consideration with the potential upgrade related to this post.