Upgrade from a 4930k?

Hello all. I am currently running a i7 4930k on a Asus Maximus extreme IV black edition mb, with a gtx 1080ti. My monitor is the asus rog swift pg348q, (ultra wide 100hz refresh). I need some help making the decision on upgrading. The CPU is at 4.2 ghz. But I feel like I'm not getting the fps I should be with the 1080ti on ultra/high settings. I'm hoping to get as close to 100 fps as possible since it is the limit of the monitor. Currently I'm getting about 70-80 fps in most games. I know that 1440p ultrawide is comparable to 4K to push, graphics wise. So I guess my question is upgrade CPU/MB or add another graphics card. Honestly I would like to stay away from SLI if possible. I have had issues in the past with scaling and games not being optimized for the technology. Any and all help is appreciated.

Honestly? I feel like that CPU should be good for now.

What's your CPU usage? If it's not at 100% it's a GPU bottleneck.

At 1440p ultrawide those frames seem reasonable.

EDIT:
Oh, and welcome to the forums! :P

I am quite sure that you're not bottlenecked by that CPU.

3440x1440 can be very demanding in some games.

Heck, even the RotTR on my PC runs just at 60FPS in some locations while I usually get 120FPS+. And that is just 1440p.

My CPU usage in most games ranges from 30-40%. So yeah I'm sure I'm okay. I guess all the hype surrounding all of the new cpu's from both Intel and AMD has gotten me worked up lol?! I just really want to get the most out of that monitor after selling a kidney to buy it ?!

30 minutes ago, Hollywood1 said:

My CPU usage in most games ranges from 30-40%. So yeah I'm sure I'm okay. I guess all the hype surrounding all of the new cpu's from both Intel and AMD has gotten me worked up lol?! I just really want to get the most out of that monitor after selling a kidney to buy it ?!

I'm sure that's the case. If you want to push those frames I'm afraid you'll have to get a second 1080ti for the time being :)

Also!

Remember to quote, just like me now.

You quote via the small arrow under each comment. If you don't we wont see your replies :)

1 hour ago, Hollywood1 said:

You should oc the cpu higher. It should do more than 4.2ghz on such a good board and it will help in single thread limited task and raise the minimum fps in some cases as well as the higher fps which will increase the overall average. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016