Which motherboard is best?

The performance of both will be the same. Motherboards don't make a difference in gaming performance.

That being said, I would go with the Gigabyte board because ASUS has been having quality issues with a lot of their products, also because Gigabyte has Dual Bios chips so if one gets corrupted you still have a working motherboard. AFAIK ASUS boards do not have this feature.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 minutes ago, zindan said:

Asus uses much better quality components for their VRM's, something you may want to consider if overclocking is your thing. 

10 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

AFAIK ASUS boards do not have this feature.

They do have the BIOS flashback feature on some mobo's, which is pretty similar in function to Gigabyte's Dual BIOS. I'm quite sure the Maximus VIII Hero has this as well.

19 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

ASUS has been having quality issues with a lot of their products

Source? My last 2 motherboards have been the Asus maximus viii hero and the Asus Crosshair vi hero. Before that I had a gigabyte board and to be honest everything about the Asus was better. Especially the BIOS, hands down best BIOS I've ever used, you can tweak to the max or have it in simple mode. Not to mention they look great but that's entirely subjective. Last of all component quality is the highest available, a strong VRM is essential for an overclocker. I also have an Asus PG348Q monitor and an Asus graphics card. The ROG line is top notch imo and I would buy all of the products I own again.

19 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Gigabyte has Dual Bios

Asus has USB BIOS flashback. In the unlikely event you corrupt your BIOS you can flash a fresh one with this feature, you can even do it without a cpu installed.

tldr: I recommend the Maximus, that's a great board.

22 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

That being said, I would go with the Gigabyte board because ASUS has been having quality issues with a lot of their products, also because Gigabyte has Dual Bios chips so if one gets corrupted you still have a working motherboard. AFAIK ASUS boards do not have this feature.

quality issues? i'm not aware of these.

and ASUS has bios flashback, which IMO is more useful than dual bios.

K5 board is poorer than other Gaming boards (5/K7/7), better off getting the Asus unless you want Z270 naively.

I would personally go with the gigabyte board, I trust them more then the Asus boards: But neither would impact performance, and as long as they both have the features you want it wont matter. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

59 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The performance of both will be the same. Motherboards don't make a difference in gaming performance.

Asus motherboards have ASUS CrashFree BIOS, which works well. I had to use that feature.