Can you crossfire RX580 with VEGA 56 when it comes out?

Go to solution Solved by Purgent,

If it works, and that's a big "if", the VEGA card would not run any faster than the RX580 as a consequence of Crossfire.

This might be a silly question, but I haven't built a computer for a while.

At my days there was only SLi.

So I'm building a new computer now, but I want to wait but seems to be unable to have anymore patience to wait for VEGA.

However if I buy RX580 now, and will it be useless when I buy vega once it's released?

Can I do crossfire to each other? Can I still utilize them both on the same motherboard?

If it works, and that's a big "if", the VEGA card would not run any faster than the RX580 as a consequence of Crossfire.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

Agreed with Purgent. IF Crossfire would work, the faster card would have to match the clockspeed of the slower card. 

It's pretty safe to say it wouldn't work at all though.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

3 minutes ago, DaftBehemoth said:

It's pretty safe to say it wouldn't work at all though.

Yeah, especially since they are different gens/architectures.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

27 minutes ago, noobee said:

However if I buy RX580 now, and will it be useless when I buy vega once it's released?

Can I do crossfire to each other?

Can I still utilize them both on the same motherboard?

No

See number 3.  It will be useful for compute, rendering and even a bit of mining if you feel inclined.

No

Nope, different architecture means a full stop no CF.  SLI/CF work because they trick the gpu's into thinking that they are all the same gpu and duplicates everything across both chips.  If one chip is different it means no perfect duplication and n CF. 

Yes

The 580 can be used for GPU rendering, as a display adapter or in dx12 games as an actual gpu giving a boost to the games (looking at maybe 30% of the 580s performance)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

26 minutes ago, noobee said:

This might be a silly question, but I haven't built a computer for a while.

At my days there was only SLi.

So I'm building a new computer now, but I want to wait but seems to be unable to have anymore patience to wait for VEGA.

Can I do crossfire to each other? Can I still utilize them both on the same motherboard?

no, no, and yes. you can use them on the same mobo for specific games and content creation, but not in crossfire. 580s will be good for a while and you cant cfx different architectures 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

@Nickathom @Damascus 

So for example I have:

1. RX 580

2. Vega 56

both plugged on to the motherboard.

I only plug my monitor to the RX 580. and no monitor is plugged to the Vega 56. I can still use the Vega 56 as a rendering machine? for example mining? even to play games?

22 hours ago, Damascus said:

No

See number 3.  It will be useful for compute, rendering and even a bit of mining if you feel inclined.

No

Nope, different architecture means a full stop no CF.  SLI/CF work because they trick the gpu's into thinking that they are all the same gpu and duplicates everything across both chips.  If one chip is different it means no perfect duplication and n CF. 

Yes

The 580 can be used for GPU rendering, as a display adapter or in dx12 games as an actual gpu giving a boost to the games (looking at maybe 30% of the 580s performance)

oh sorry, you actually mentioned that the other GPU can be used for mining still, even it's not plugged into any monitor?

How about if I use one AMD and Nvidia on the other one? is it still possible to utilize both of them for different tasks with one unplugged to any monitor?

12 minutes ago, noobee said:

I did some googling and this guy explained differently:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2924585/gpu-sli.html

That's rather old, there is a software that allows use of igpu/another dgpu.

I can't recall what it's called though.

15 minutes ago, noobee said:

oh sorry, you actually mentioned that the other GPU can be used for mining still, even it's not plugged into any monitor?

How about if I use one AMD and Nvidia on the other one? is it still possible to utilize both of them for different tasks with one unplugged to any monitor?

If it was a render you simply select the card you want to use, not sure about mining.

@Damascus that's only about 1.5 years old. so that has become false answer now. ok!

Oh, I see, ok. I just watched a youtube video, some miners even have some kind of a parallel cable hub plugged into one PCI-e and route them to 12 GPU. Seems that it's possible. It's so cool. I think I'm going to buy 1070 now, and get VEGA later because both can still be usable on one motherboard for different tasks.

Now I think that it's even better without SLi or CrossFire because I can self-manage the tasks put on to different GPUs. For example, I will use my 1070 for games and normal productivities and put the VEGA fully for mining. In this way my computer won't slow down even I do both mining and playing games at the same time right?

Is my understanding correct?

I guess, though a buying a 1070 right now is a bad deal.  Its like an extra 30 bucks for a 1080 due to 1070 inflation.

Just now, Damascus said:

I guess, though a buying a 1070 right now is a bad deal.  Its like an extra 30 bucks for a 1080 due to 1070 inflation.

so should I just buy 1050 Ti? or rx 580?

Just now, noobee said:

so should I just buy 1050 Ti? or rx 580?

Well an rx 580 would cost a stupid amount as well right now, get a 1050 ti or a 1080 pretty much.

Honestly, vega 64 is out on the 14th (7 days) so I'd get one of them or a 1080 (ti)

10 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Well an rx 580 would cost a stupid amount as well right now, get a 1050 ti or a 1080 pretty much.

Honestly, vega 64 is out on the 14th (7 days) so I'd get one of them or a 1080 (ti)

1080 Ti is too expensive, like $700, and vega 56 is only $399. What do you think of 1060?

Yes, vega is releasing in 7 days, but now I think that I still need 2 cards, one is for games, and another one for mining.

Just now, noobee said:

1080 Ti is too expensive, like $700, and vega 56 is only $399. What do you think of 1060?

OK, what is your budget?  You seemed to be planning on buying a 1070 ($350) and a vega 56 ($400) so 750, or more than a 1080 ti.

25 minutes ago, Damascus said:

That's rather old, there is a software that allows use of igpu/another dgpu.

I can't recall what it's called though.

Lucid Virtu?

Nope, the only time something like this worked was with very similar GPU's (7870, R9 270) or with low end GPU's and APU's (R7 250 and some AMD APU's)

Perhaps in the future when games start supporting fancy multiGPU stuff but I wouldn't count on it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

OK, what is your budget?  You seemed to be planning on buying a 1070 ($350) and a vega 56 ($400) so 750, or more than a 1080 ti.

I don't really think about budget actually. 

I think more of I will pay for what I get and would use.

If I say that my budget is $1500, you will definitely say 1080Ti, but will I really need 1080ti to be a casual gamer like only playing LoL?

13 minutes ago, noobee said:

If I say that my budget is $1500, you will definitely say 1080Ti, but will I really need 1080ti to be a casual gamer like only playing LoL?

You don't really need much more than iGPU if that is the only game you play and willing to compromise a lot of the settings.

Buy an entry level graphics card of this generation.

18 minutes ago, noobee said:

I don't really think about budget actually. 

I think more of I will pay for what I get and would use.

If you only play lol get a 1050 ti.  I have used one myself as a stepping stone gpu and it's way better value then a 1060 6gb (also something I've used)

25 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Lucid Virtu?

Sounds about right.

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Sounds about right.

how about in linux?

Just now, noobee said:

how about in linux?

No idea, I lost interest as I only have one monitor and my bottom slot (only other x16 on my mobo) is blocked.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

No idea, I lost interest as I only have one monitor and my bottom slot (only other x16 on my mobo) is blocked.

blocked? how is that possible? is it because of the motherboard?

So if I don't plan to use SLi or crossfire, should I just buy B350 ATX? they still have 2 PCIe