Front Panel is rather 'Horrendous'.

EnergyEclipse
Go to solution Solved by emosun,

here's a progression of an old 2002 gateway I removed all plastic from and made black

12072580_10207630310064411_978737640609216052_n.jpg

Hello!

So I have had my chassis to which I pulled from a skip for quite some time now, and its has very much served me incredibly well with the colossal amounts of room within and the very well positioned cable routing tie down points and holes.

However, there has always been one thing with it that has bugged me.

And that is the front panel.

I plan to remove the ancient CD:ROM to which has just sat there to help make up for the appearance, however there isn't particularly much I could think of in improving its appearance. I would mostly just like it to be very simple and I never find myself using the front connections (Well I can't, since there is no 10pin connector for the PCB there).

Have you guys got any ideas on what I could do to it? I'd drill a fan hole and spray paint it but I don't have the money to do so currently. Thank you very much for your replies and help in advance!

-EnergyEclipse

001.thumb.JPG.eb8d007a1e40402880a5cd19c08da19b.JPG

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

that computer reminds me of the machine I had back in 2006.

you could do what i do with ugly cases and pull off all the plastic and paint the whole case black to make it look like a piece of server equipment

3 hours ago, emosun said:

here's a progression of an old 2002 gateway I removed all plastic from and made black

12072580_10207630310064411_978737640609216052_n.jpg

I seriously do not think I have the skill or access to tools to do anything of that calibre of quality, but goodness gracious is that flipping awesome :333 :DD

Thank you very much though for your reply!

On 8/6/2017 at 1:12 PM, emosun said:

-snip-

That is flipping gorgeous.  Making the old look sexy again.

There was a time long ago where that gray plastic was all the rage.  Much shame upon our old selves.

I think you could breath some life back into her.  If you could pop the front panel and take a picture of what lies behind, might be able to make some suggestions.  In the mean time don't sell yourself short.  Many things you can do, are less about skill and more about getting over the idea you can't do them. :)

edit: Also what's that black corrugated bit at the top of the panel?  is it part of the panel?  Does it extend on the top of case?

Are you looking for simple elegance? or do you like more "gamer" styling?

Also the model of the case would help.

4 hours ago, haft2doit said:

I think you could breath some life back into her.  If you could pop the front panel and take a picture of what lies behind, might be able to make some suggestions.  In the mean time don't sell yourself short.  Many things you can do, are less about skill and more about getting over the idea you can't do them. :)

edit: Also what's that black corrugated bit at the top of the panel?  is it part of the panel?  Does it extend on the top of case?

Are you looking for simple elegance? or do you like more "gamer" styling?

Also the model of the case would help.

Hello! Thank you very much for your help! :D This post will hopefully fade out as I landed up getting a MasterBox 5 simply because I absolutely love the cable management in it and it has a lot more modern features like better fan mounting options ect and radiator support.

I am actually not of knowledge to of what the model or manufacturer of the chassis is, as I pulled the case from a skip xD The corrugated bit is like a silver piece which is only on top of the front panel and does not extended onto the top of the case.