GPU Overheating

So about a month or two ago i bought a prebuilt ASUS G11 Desktop with an i5-6400 and Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB and everything is alright until during games like The division, the witcher 3, World of Tanks, SG3, Fallout 4, and more games like it, i reach temps of 98-100 degrees Celsius. My room temp isn't hot either but im sure its a factor. its also on the floor but has a plastic lid covering the bottom. could i solve this problem by getting a new case or are these temps normal? thanks for the help! 

Those temps sound bad, really bad, something needs to be done. Unless it's a sensor just going crazy.

With what do you check temps and what exactly gets 98-100°C?

HWinfo and aida64 are good tools to measure temps, it's a good idea to double check temps with one of them.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Those temps sound bad, really bad, something needs to be done. Unless it's a sensor just going crazy.

With what do you check temps and what exactly gets 98-100°C?

HWinfo and aida64 are good tools to measure temps, it's a good idea to double check temps with one of them.

Im using MSI Afterburner in game, i can run try with those here in a bit. I also didnt know if it was a cable management thing with blocikng airflow, I already voided the warranty so im not too afraid of that kind of work on it

EDIT: - (was gonna say the same as @samcool55 said - check the temps 

But The GPU shouldn't be running that hot and I would also check your airflow and cabling first thing. make sure the fans have a clear path through the case, How is the processor cooled as well if it is fan cooled - where is the heat blowing from the fan... 

Most manufacturers have air intake at the front and Hot air exhaust out the back, though it is personal preference and no real benefit I prefer the exhaust out the front of the case,
(it keeps my feet warm!) 

just do a case swap

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, Weeaboo said:

Im using MSI Afterburner in game, i can run try with those here in a bit. I also didnt know if it was a cable management thing with blocikng airflow, I already voided the warranty so im not too afraid of that kind of work on it

What GPU do you have exactly? (i mean one from EVGA,MSI,Asus,...)

GPU-Z is also a good tool to measure temps of the GPU only.

Also, does the fan actually work? The thing could be broken :P

Cable management has to be really really REALLY bad to cause temps that high. I think it's probably more likely the case just doesn't have enough airflow (probably lack of case fans...)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Cable management has to be really really REALLY bad to cause temps that high. I think it's probably more likely the case just doesn't have enough airflow (probably lack of case fans...)

its an OEM asus computer with mostly asus parts like the mobo and gpu

Get a new case those are horrid for temps and a I know this since my friend got one a couple of years ago and he just recently case swapped and his temps lowered

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, samcool55 said:

I really havent been all up inside of it but i hear the fan going pretty loudly when it hits like 96, it might be lack of case fans

Just now, mok said:

its an OEM asus computer with mostly asus parts like the mobo and gpu

Yeah, as far as i know its the ASUS 1060

honestly a case swap might not even be the issue

98-100c is too much

are the fans even spinning?
Option 1: return/replace the pc - get it RMA'd

Option 2: take the video card apart and reapply the thermal paste yourself 

Option 3: option 2 + case swap

2 minutes ago, Weeaboo said:

I really havent been all up inside of it but i hear the fan going pretty loudly when it hits like 96, it might be lack of case fans

I did a bit of research and it has 1 case fan that's not even 120mm.

If you aren't scary of a case swap, check if the mounting holes of the motherboard and PSU uses ATX (measurements are online) and if they do, go for a swap.

1 minute ago, mok said:

98-100c is too much

Yeah, i can get in there here in a few, would, and i can run a game and check temps. The case is supposed to take in air at the front bottom, and left side panel and expel through the back 

19 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

If you aren't scary of a case swap, check if the mounting holes of the motherboard and PSU uses ATX (measurements are online) and if they do, go for a swap.

21 minutes ago, mok said:

98-100c is too much

Yeah so it is 1 case fan in the back of the case, It works, CPU fan works, and GPU fan works. the only mobo i can find is this one

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V5RU0074&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-9SIA25V5RU0074&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-ORZa_C8yP_hmZyewvM4FRuMm41hXYxy6NsPzJS7Qu0duPfL0F73zRoCHS8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But the chipsets match from what Hwin tells me

Also there was a spot for another fan in the front, but theres a bar which i think has the LED strip for the front case lighting 

Edited by Weeaboo
Update

to check if its a sensor issue , you can move the pci slot for your gpu. also try with side panel off to see if temps lower, if they do  its definetly running hot.

Just now, xtasemusic said:

to check if its a sensor issue , you can move the pci slot for your gpu. also try with side panel off to see if temps lower, if they do  its definetly running hot.

Im going to run temps now 

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

My friend had an older model and they use the minimum stuff (Stock cooler, blower style cooler) and the PSU is the normal size and the mobo is Matx

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 hour ago, Weeaboo said:

Yeah so it is 1 case fan in the back of the case, It works, CPU fan works, and GPU fan works. the only mobo i can find is this one

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V5RU0074&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-9SIA25V5RU0074&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-ORZa_C8yP_hmZyewvM4FRuMm41hXYxy6NsPzJS7Qu0duPfL0F73zRoCHS8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But the chipsets match from what Hwin tells me

Also there was a spot for another fan in the front, but theres a bar which i think has the LED strip for the front case lighting 

WoT ran fine having averaged 82, the division crashed but it got up to 84, and fallout 4 hit 96, though i was running at 1080 with some intensive mods installed but it has ran cooler before with the same presets. These numbers coming from Hwin

9 minutes ago, Weeaboo said:

WoT ran fine having averaged 82, the division crashed but it got up to 84, and fallout 4 hit 96, though i was running at 1080 with some intensive mods installed but it has ran cooler before with the same presets. These numbers coming from Hwin

I'd get one of the accelero lineup of gpu coolers, any one of the mid to high end ones should fix your issue.  (The single 120mm fan one keeps my 1070 83c steady)

Then get a better case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IEO8H22/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1501964181&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=accelero&dpPl=1&dpID=41SwAfrrHqL&ref=plSrch

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I'd get one of the accelero lineup of gpu coolers, any one of the mid to high end ones should fix your issue.  (The single fan one keeps my 1070 83c steady)

Then get a better case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IEO8H22/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1501964181&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=accelero&dpPl=1&dpID=41SwAfrrHqL&ref=plSrch

Awesome, ill look into these, though itll be hard getting away from the founders edition shroud, Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Weeaboo said:

Awesome, ill look into these, though itll be hard getting away from the founders edition shroud, Thanks!

This might salve those pains, a water cooler! You can mod the FE shroud and use it as a shell around the water cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0156R6VPY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501964822&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1060+cooler&dpPl=1&dpID=41MV6%2BoJAHL&ref=plSrch

38 minutes ago, Damascus said:

This might salve those pains, a water cooler! You can mod the FE shroud and use it as a shell around the water cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0156R6VPY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501964822&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=1060+cooler&dpPl=1&dpID=41MV6%2BoJAHL&ref=plSrch

Isnt this an air cooling thread?? kidding, im fairly novice at computer building, and getting water near my rig is sketch so i might wait until i get my own machine that i build myself when i have the money

13 minutes ago, Weeaboo said:

Isnt this an air cooling thread?? kidding, im fairly novice at computer building, and getting water near my rig is sketch so i might wait until i get my own machine that i build myself when i have the money

What kind of budget are you running with?

Just now, Damascus said:

What kind of budget are you running with?

Trying to keep it as minimal as possible really, not really a set budget since im trying to keep the GPU from dying on me

This is what I'm talking about btw.  Use the accelero and your shroud to make a gorgeous little fe-hybrid.