Get a card or wait?

Rakso

So with more popularity of 4k I'm hoping the next gen of cards are going to be able to handle it even better. So should I get a 1060 then wait for the next or maybe even next next card? Then get a 4k 144hz monitor when they go down in price. Or just buy a 1070(when prices go down) and just buy the newer card at the time that those 4k 144hz monitors become affordable. I guess kinda depends on the timeline of how soon you guys see those next/next next cards coming out and also the monitors being cheaper

It depends on how long you want to wait. If you're waiting on 4k 144hz it's going to be a while. Like, at least next year for sure.

From what I've read and been told you would be lucky to get 60fps at 4k on a 1070 let alone a 1060. The 1080ti is the only option really if you want 4k 60fps on triple a titles right now. Also, it sounds like mining is going back up again so I'm not expecting 1060's or 1070's to get cheaper anytime soon.

Sorry, what I shoulda said. I would game 1080p with a 1060 until the 4k went down. So if its only a year. I could manage. 980ti also sounds good if its around the same price as the 1060's were before the mining. 

So get 1060 or lower right now and game 1080p. Or get a 1070(if they restock) or Vega. and ride that out. Only thing though is like you said. 1070's if you're lucky will get 60fps at 4k. So I feel like when the 4k craze gets cheaper, i would have to upgrade whether I have a 1060 or a 1070. Which is why I mention the 1060. 

Yeah. If you want 4k now get a 1080ti. If you want to wait just go with whatever you can find cheap for 1080p. Because of mining 1070's, and maybe even 1060's, are too expensive right now.

For me personally I'm not worried about 4k. I'm planning for a build here in a few months for the 1440p 144hz monitor I just got. Because I don't want to wait till next year for volta, and gpu prices are so weird, I was planning on probably getting a 1080 to run 1440p. The 1070 prices are so inflated that it would be pointless not to just get a 1080. I'm leaning towards just getting a 1080ti though, just to be set for whatever I want to to. I'm not building on a specific budget at this point though, I'm basically planning what I want/need and then saving up for it.

I was originally thinking about waiting for next gen like volta, but I realized that it's not really worth waiting a year just for a new gpu. I'd rather build something sooner that will handle what I want to do. Then if something drastically new comes out and I decide to upgrade I can, but I won't need to unless I want to. What you want to do is a little harder because 4k 144hz itsn't really possible right now even with the 1080ti. It's a gamble whether the lower end/midrange volta cards will be able to do what you want. It may be a few generations until we get affordable 4k 144hz performance.

As for vega, idk if that's a good option. Because of the supposed better compute performance of the vega cards I see them getting eaten by miners, despite the bundle strategy to dissuade them.