Bottlenecking

CPU might bottleneck the GPU, but only by 3 to 8 frames. Nothing really to worry about. OCing it would give you back the frames too. 

Also, go for slower Ram. 3200mhz is not needed, go for 2400 MHz or 2666 MHz, higher than that you don't get a noticeable difference. 

What's your purpose for this build and budget? 

Your CPU might bottleneck gpu a little depending on resolution. Other than that not much.

Side note, why the aftermarket thermal paste? It won't make that much of a difference.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, GoldForest said:

CPU might bottleneck the GPU, but only by 3 to 8 frames. Nothing really to worry about. OCing it would give you back the frames too. 

Also, go for slower Ram. 3200mhz is not needed, go for 2400 MHz or 2666 MHz, higher than that you don't get a noticeable difference. 

I quite disagree with the ram part, Ryzen can see large benefits from faster ram depending on the game.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Depends at what resolution.

below 4K/1440p ultrawide, yes.

a 1080Ti is a monster GPU, and if you're not taxing it with large resolutions, it will just wait on your CPU all day.

however, if you were playing at lower than 4K/1440p ultrawide, you wouldn't have a 1080Ti, so I'd say you're fine.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Average gaming. RSS Destiny 2 Rovket league few new triple a titles.

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

Not with Ryzen.

RAM speed, in terms of actually accessing info from RAM, doesn't matter much.

however, some of the internal interconnects in Ryzen, connecting up the two CCXs that it's made of (i can explain more if you are curious) are directly linked to RAM speed. with fast RAM on Ryzen, performance can improve as much as 20%. 3200Mhz is a good choice.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Depends at what resolution.

below 4K/1440p ultrawide, yes.

a 1080Ti is a monster GPU, and if you're not taxing it with large resolutions, it will just wait on your CPU all day.

however, if you were playing at lower than 4K/1440p ultrawide, you wouldn't have a 1080Ti, so I'd say you're fine.

Should i get the Ryzen 7 1700 then?

Just now, xXBlackIceXx said:

Average gaming. RSS Destiny 2 Rovket league few new triple a titles.

What resolution? that's most important.

if the answer is not 4K/1440p ultrawide / lots of monitors, then downgrade your GPU.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Not with Ryzen.

RAM speed, in terms of actually accessing info from RAM, doesn't matter much.

however, some of the internal interconnects in Ryzen, connecting up the two CCXs that it's made of (i can explain more if you are curious) are directly linked to RAM speed. with fast RAM on Ryzen, performance can improve as much as 20%. 3200Mhz is a good choice.

I did not know that. I was just following the common rule, "Ram speed =/= performance". Glad to see that that has been kicked in the butt.

no, it won't improve game performance, since games ATM can only use a max of 6 cores anyway.

What resolution are you playing at? this is most important for me to know what bottlenecks you will have

Desktop:

Laptop:

What resolution? that's most important.

if the answer is not 4K/1440p ultrawide / lots of monitors, then downgrade your GPU.

Idk yet. Still trying to fine a tv/monitor. For under 600$ CAD

I would go 1700, the NON-X version

Cheaper, plus you can OC it PAST the 1800X

Just now, GoldForest said:

I did not know that. I was just following the common rule, "Ram speed =/= performance". Glad to see that that has been kicked in the butt.

Well it's still true with intel systems, but yeah, now faster RAM actually means something.

Desktop:

Laptop:

no, it won't improve game performance, since games ATM can only use a max of 6 cores anyway.

What resolution are you playing at? this is most important for me to know what bottlenecks you will have

Yea but id like this pc to last a while before i upgrade it

1 minute ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

You won't need to upgrade if you get these parts for at least a min of 5 years, 8 years tops.

Idk yet. Still trying to fine a tv/monitor. For under 600$ CAD

then find that first, then make a build.

a build like the one you made is designed for 4K, and it atmospheric overkill if you're going to be matching it up with something like a 1080p display.

once you know what resolution you want to play at, then you can design a build around that.

Ex. for 1080p gaming, you only need a GTX 1070 to max out all games 60FPS. no use investing in a 1080Ti that will sit at 30% usage while gaming.
Ex. for 4K gaming, you need a 1080Ti / 1080, because there are a lot more pixels to push.

Ex. if you want 1080p at 144Hz, then you need a 1080, but also a better CPU, since Ryzen has trouble pushing high framerates past 100FPS or so.

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I would go 1700, the NON-X version

Cheaper, plus you can OC it PAST the 1800X

What's the point? 1700 isn't any faster at gaming than 1600

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

if you spend $2500 now, the PC might last you 4-5 years (Assuming you game at 1080p)

if you spend $1500 now, the PC might last you 3 years, but then you can build another PC, that absolutely annihilates the original PC that you were going to build, with the money you saved on your first PC.

it's usually best to buy the sweet spot twice, rather than the bleeding edge once.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

if you spend $2500 now, the PC might last you 4-5 years (Assuming you game at 1080p)

if you spend $1500 now, the PC might last you 3 years, but then you can build another PC, that absolutely annihilates the original PC that you were going to build, with the money you saved on your first PC.

it's usually best to buy the sweet spot twice, rather than the bleeding edge once.

Can you make me a build?

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

You won't need to upgrade if you get these parts for at least a min of 5 years, 8 years tops.

Think about a top of the line card from 5 years ago...

the GTX 680.

that card is about as powerful as a GTX 1050 nowadays.

I'd say MAX 5 years until an upgrade with this build.

PC hardware moves fast.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Can you make me a build?

Absolutely. Wait a minute...

Desktop:

Laptop:

9 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yoou are amazing. Include a monitor if posible

9 minutes ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

Can you make me a build?

7 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

To be completely honest, I tried making a build, and realized that all I was really doing was downgrading the GPU to make it fit 1080p. I thought about a possible future upgrade path, and TBH it wouldn't save very much money.

Usually, I would tell you to split this into two purchases, but in this case, you might just want to go overkill.

I rarely do this, but I'd recommend sticking with your build, even for 1080p gaming, since an upgrade in 3 years to something like the GTX 3070, which I assume would be equivalent to a 1080Ti, would cost the same as just getting a 1080Ti right now.

I would make some changes to your existing build though:

- you don't need aftermarket thermal paste

- Maybe invest a bit more into a better motherboard. not essential, but if you want to upgrade in the future, to maybe a bigger/better AM4 CPU, then it would be nice to have a board that can OC it to it's full potential

- you've invested a lot into RGB stuff, but it should all by color coordinated. so either get a white case to match that white GPU, or get a black GPU to match the black case. I'd recommend getting a white case, since light bounces off white more. also, don't buy red fans with an RGB PC.

this is my slightly revised parts list.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($266.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($151.99 @ PC Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($184.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($187.25 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($101.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($909.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB120 61.4 CFM  120mm Fan  ($32.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case Accessory: NZXT - Hue+ LED Controller  ($58.98 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: BenQ - GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($418.99 @ PC Canada)
Keyboard: Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($69.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Mouse: Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse  ($59.99 @ Memory Express)
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($138.20 @ Amazon Canada)
Other: NZXT AC-HPL03-10 HUE+ Extension Kit  ($27.99 @ Memory Express)
Other: Xbox One S Controller Ocean Shadow Edition ($80.00)
Total: $2953.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-04 03:07 EDT-0400

the monitor I've chosen is 1440p, so it's slightly less underkill for your 1080Ti, but you should still have no problem playing games on it for years to come.

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

To be completely honest, I tried making a build, and realized that all I was really doing was downgrading the GPU to make it fit 1080p. I thought about a possible future upgrade path, and TBH it wouldn't save very much money.

Usually, I would tell you to split this into two purchases, but in this case, you might just want to go overkill.

I rarely do this, but I'd recommend sticking with your build, even for 1080p gaming, since an upgrade in 3 years to something like the GTX 3070, which I assume would be equivalent to a 1080Ti, would cost the same as just getting a 1080Ti right now.

I would make some changes to your existing build though:

- you don't need aftermarket thermal paste

- Maybe invest a bit more into a better motherboard. not essential, but if you want to upgrade in the future, to maybe a bigger/better AM4 CPU, then it would be nice to have a board that can OC it to it's full potential

- you've invested a lot into RGB stuff, but it should all by color coordinated. so either get a white case to match that white GPU, or get a black GPU to match the black case. I'd recommend getting a white case, since light bounces off white more. also, don't buy red fans with an RGB PC.

this is my slightly revised parts list.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($266.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($151.99 @ PC Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($184.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($187.25 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($101.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($909.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB120 61.4 CFM  120mm Fan  ($32.98 @ DirectCanada)
Case Accessory: NZXT - Hue+ LED Controller  ($58.98 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: BenQ - GW2765HT 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  ($418.99 @ PC Canada)
Keyboard: Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($69.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Mouse: Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse  ($59.99 @ Memory Express)
Headphones: Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($138.20 @ Amazon Canada)
Other: NZXT AC-HPL03-10 HUE+ Extension Kit  ($27.99 @ Memory Express)
Other: Xbox One S Controller Ocean Shadow Edition ($80.00)
Total: $2953.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-04 03:07 EDT-0400

the monitor I've chosen is 1440p, so it's slightly less underkill for your 1080Ti, but you should still have no problem playing games on it for years to come.

Thank you so much for investing so much time on this.