Transferring windows to another system [motherboards]

xsimplyjosh

Building up my new rig today or over the weekend and going to put all the parts together finally after a month of waiting for parts to arrive bit by bit.

I just need to know with the new monitor how would I go about transferring Win10 Pro OS over from the one mobo to the other [particularly including license codes/product codes too alongside]? Anyone have experience on this
SSD/HDD are being transferred too, the old system will receive a new SSD and/or HDD for minor/casual use for other family member and probably Win7 Pro just because... :)

Thanks in advance

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

Hey @xsimplyjosh

Windows register the Windows license to the hardware this means that you might run in issues when swapping out hardware. (Windows might not be activated after swap) swapping out the storage never is a issue but because you're also changing the motherboard you might first want to write down the license code. (Like really make sure its safe)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The license code can be found with the following methode.

1. start " Powershell "  as Administrator then run the command below, Powershell will return the license code. (Run powershell by pressing Windows Key + X and then click at " Powershell (Admin), if its not here you might find it in your start menu)

(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now go ahead and change all the hardware. When installing Windows, it might continu without asking for a license, if it does try to enter the license you got from Powershell earlier. If this doesn't work continu without a license (for now) by clicking "i dont have a license key". When you're done and landed at the desktop Windows might already been activated or complain that its not activated. If its not, try first to automatic activate it by following the steps below.

1. Press Windows key + x (Windows poweruser menu), Click at "System"

When Window is activated then there is'nt much to see here, if it not then there will be some options here to activate Windows, just use the automatic actvation first. It will try to figure out what license is bound to your hardware and when it finds out Windows will get activated.

This should do the job 99% of the times, rarely the automatic activation will fail. If it does for you, i will be glad to help.