30 GB of missing files

RageAx
Go to solution Solved by SageOfSpice,

That'd probably be a backup partition, the hiber.sys and pagefile.sys.

Windirstat is a pretty good program for finding things like this.

I recently cleaned my C:\ (ssd) drive and have noticed that 30 GB of files are missing. I have turned on hidden files, emptied the recycle bin. The files add up to 37 GB but the system reports that I have 68 GB in usage.

I use this drive for windows, drivers and other small pieces of software I often use. But nothing that would amount to 60GB of storage space.

Where can I find these files?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not really sure what you mean, I personally wouldn't use CCleaner as it's a registry cleaner.  I believe CCleaner has been bashed by Microsoft before. I think it's fine for only file cleaning.  My advice is to restart your computer and then check.  If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what could be causing it, no doubt it is something In the registry, which is like the /etc folder in Linux.  So all the configs and stuff is in the registry, hope you didn't clean it, if you did try and run a system restore.

Good luck.

@Cool Guy I have not cleaned any registries. I have only deleted files and folders from the drive.

14 minutes ago, RageAx said:

@Cool Guy I have not cleaned any registries. I have only deleted files and folders from the drive.

Are you using a fully-activated and updated version of Windows 7?  I can remember when I was on Windows 7 having similar issues but it was showing more disk space than it was actually using.  Either way I wouldn't be worried.  As @SageOfSpice stated, WinDirStat might be a good option to find the biggest files and/or folders on the system to see what's actually going on.

10 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

Thank you for your help. That seems to be the issue here.

One more question. Can I safely delete those files?

7 hours ago, RageAx said:

Thank you for your help. That seems to be the issue here.

One more question. Can I safely delete those files?

NOT manually.

pagefile.sys is your pagefile, if you run out of memory (and more often even if you don't these days) stuff gets swapped out to it.  You can change your pagefile settings in the control panel (Assuming Windows 10: System > Advanced System Settings > Settings (In the performance box) > Advanced Tab > Change)

hiber.sys (or correctly hyberfil.sys) is used if you hibernate your machine.  If you have a desktop you might not do that, with a laptop you probably do.  Again, you can change your hibernation settings (Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do) and you might have to edit your power plan too, but once you've turned off hibernation everywhere (I think) the hyberfil.sys gets deleted.