Can you run a 1080P monitor at 4K in Windows desktop?

lufihengr

Ok, so I have one 4K monitor and one 1080P monitor, my problem is that Windows does not work well with the mismatch.

I would like to run the 1080P monitor at 4K kind of like DSR in games, but at the desktop. Then when I drag windows between the monitors, it would be the same size on both and I could drag the windows over from any point on the border, not just the top half.  Is this possible at all? I couldn't find any answer.

As a stop gap I use a tool called little big mouse which lets me drag the windows over from any point, but keeps crashing and does not fix scaling issues.

Another acceptable solution would be like I have it in MacOS with HiDPI so that both are scaled to 1080P, but the 4k monitor is still at 4K res and super sharp, if that makes sense. 

Apppreciate any help

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Yes, VSR lets you do this easily, I've done it myself before :) 

I assume Nvidia's DSR would work as well but that is not something I could ever confirm for myself

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

You can with NVIDIA DSR.

This is a problem inherit in desktop composition in general. I don't think it'll be fixed natively.

Oh, I will have to try it!

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

But why?

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

But why?

Because I want it to be perfect. Without spending money on another 4K monitor.

@M.Yurizaki 

@Leonard

@Ryan_Vickers

It works! Wow! Although it is a bit blurrier than before, and my cursor is 4x the size when I move it to the other monitor. Thanks!

1 minute ago, lufihengr said:

@M.Yurizaki 

@Leonard

It works! Wow! Although it is a bit blurrier than before, and my cursor is 4x the size when I move it to the other monitor. Thanks!

The cursor thing has to do with it being hardware accelerated. Something about the desktop gets rendered, then downsampled, then the cursor gets rendered which since DSR already made a pass, doesn't do it again.

I'm not sure if there's a way to disable that universally.

1 minute ago, lufihengr said:

@M.Yurizaki 

@Leonard

It shouldn't be 4 times the size, it should be smaller not bigger, did you set the resolution on both monitors or just the 1080P monitor only?...because you should have only changed the 1080p one, it will be a bit blurrier but that is because your monitor is a 1080p and i am sure a TN panel because it looks a bit less blurry on an IPS panel.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

It shouldn't be 4 times the size, it should be smaller not bigger, did you set the resolution on both monitors or just the 1080P monitor only?...because you should have only changed the 1080p one, it will be a bit blurrier but that is because your monitor is a 1080p and i am sure a TN panel because it looks a bit less blurry on an IPS panel.

Both are at 4K resolution now, when I change the window scaling to 200% it's not as blurry. Also DSR smoothness at 0% helps. It's a TN yes.

The mouse size is much less annoying than the other issues that I had though

12 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It's because DSR compensates for cursor size so it doesn't get smaller. But then if you turn on Windows scaling it also makes the cursor larger to compensate, without realizing that the cursor was already the correct size with DSR. 

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

It's because DSR compensates for cursor size so it doesn't get smaller. But then if you turn on Windows scaling it also makes the cursor larger to compensate, without realizing that the cursor was already the correct size with DSR. 

When i enable mine, with scaling off because i never use scaling, my cursor stays the same but the windows, icons and folders get smaller and some text is choppy.

In the picture, both screens are 1080p and i only applied DSR to the Acer, my mouse is the same to me.but doesn't show in the screenshot.dsr.thumb.png.2ee8b0af26b68fd144d43b8ebd478581.png

5 hours ago, Leonard said:

When i enable mine, with scaling off because i never use scaling, my cursor stays the same but the windows, icons and folders get smaller and some text is choppy.

In the picture, both screens are 1080p and i only applied DSR to the Acer, my mouse is the same to me.but doesn't show in the screenshot.dsr.thumb.png.2ee8b0af26b68fd144d43b8ebd478581.png

Yeah, that's because DSR enlarges your mouse so it doesn't shrink with everything else. If you turn on Windows scaling it also enlarges your mouse to compensate for high pixel density, so if you use DSR and Windows scaling at the same time your mouse will be enlarged twice, which overcompensates for the shrinking, and your mouse will appear larger than it should.

53 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yeah, that's because DSR enlarges your mouse so it doesn't shrink with everything else. If you turn on Windows scaling it also enlarges your mouse to compensate for high pixel density, so if you use DSR and Windows scaling at the same time your mouse will be enlarged twice, which overcompensates for the shrinking, and your mouse will appear larger than it should.

Interesting, I know AMD's VSR does not enlarge the mouse (I'm doing it right now).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

20 hours ago, Leonard said:

In the picture, both screens are 1080p and i only applied DSR to the Acer, my mouse is the same to me.but doesn't show in the screenshot.

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

14 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting, I know AMD's VSR does not enlarge the mouse (I'm doing it right now).

Here is a comparison in the mouse size. Both are at 150% scaling, at 100% on the 1080P (DSR 4k) monitor, the mouse shrinks, but it's still bigger than the real 4k one.

IMG_20170804_220509.jpg

IMG_20170804_220516.jpg

1 hour ago, lufihengr said:

Here is a comparison in the mouse size. Both are at 150% scaling, at 100% on the 1080P (DSR 4k) monitor, the mouse shrinks, but it's still bigger than the real 4k one.

--gone--

Right, remember i said i don't use scaling so this is where the difference in cursor size is happening.