Experiences with BoTW on Wii U

TacoSenpai

After a while I caved and finally decided to get BoTW on my Wii U as Switches are harder to find than a unicorn in the south side of Chicago let alone at MSRP.  That being said I've been dying to play BoTW so already having a Wii U I decided to get it.  Of course I had my reservations about it with performance only going to 720p instead of 900p on the Switch etc.  However, I've found the overall experience quite seamless.  Here's my observations specific to the Wii U version.

• Framerate takes a hit in the villages most notably Kakariko village for some reason all of the others are far better.  Even so its still perfectly playable and runs great in the overworld, during weather, boss fights and so on.
  • There is a massive amount of updates and patches when you first put in the game.  From what I can tell you will need around 3GB of free even with the game on the disc for the installs and updates which took about 45 mins to download all of them and install them the first time putting in the disk.
  • Both the Wii U gamepad and pro controller work great however, I usually have my gamepad docked in its charger using the pro controller and noticed during the gyro ball puzzles where you are forced to use the gamepad that picking it up after not using it causes some callibration issues and the puzzle goes out of wack.  Minor issue not game breaking as these puzzles are slow paced and in the shrines.
  • Graphically the game still looks great honestly can't tell much of a difference from side by side comparisons on Youtube and in person it looks even better.  Draw distance doesn't seem impacted in any way.

So if you are like me and itching to play this game but can't find a Switch and have a Wii U its definitely worth it in my opinion at least until more Switches are in stock which doesn't seem to be happening too soon and with the size of this game and how addicting it is you'll need all the time you can get and the experience is unlike any that Zelda has offered before including even the original in many ways.  Plus if you like the game that much and do decide to get a Switch when they are available nothing says you can't get the Switch version as well to play it on the go ;)

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Just now, Vernw3 said:

Oh yeah all things considered they are actually good values for what you get some games maybe a controller.  I just didn't feel like spending 400-600 dollars at once compared to 60.