computer takes around 30 mins to load up

manlykeweaver465

I've been having this problem for a while now, when i boot up my computer it stays on the starting windows screen for a very long time and i have no idea why, i was just going to reinstall windows and see if that fixes it but before i do that, do you guys have any suggestions on what might be the problem here, thanks.

UPDATE: I reinstalled my OS and it still hangs on starting windows for ages so I have no idea what to do 

6 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

I've been having this problem for a while now, when i boot up my computer it stays on the starting windows screen for a very long time and i have no idea why, i was just going to reinstall windows and see if that fixes it but before i do that, do you guys have any suggestions on what might be the problem here, thanks.

Specs? Have you change the blackout time in msconfig?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

5 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Specs? Have you change the blackout time in msconfig?

• AMD FX 6300
  • Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
  • 8 gb Hyper x ddr3
  • KFA2 gtx 1060 6gb
  • 1tb WD hard drive | Kingston ssd now 240 gb
  • super flower 450w platinum king

and no i havent tried that.

3 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:
  • AMD FX 6300
  • Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
  • 8 gb Hyper x ddr3
  • KFA2 gtx 1060 6gb
  • 1tb WD hard drive | Kingston ssd now 240 gb
  • super flower 450w platinum king

and no i havent tried that.

I would first reset the bios and then make sure that the SATA ports are all working. I am guessing its a windows 10 rig, so its proberbly a bad update. 

Press the start key and R 

Type msconfig

boot

and then look for the box that allows you to change the number from 30 seconds to 3. 

Just now, fixitnow said:

I would first reset the bios and then make sure that the SATA ports are all working. I am guessing its a windows 10 rig, so its proberbly a bad update. 

Press the start key and R 

Type msconfig

boot

and then look for the box that allows you to change the number from 30 seconds to 3. 

sorry i forgot to mention its windows 7 and yeah ill give that a try now 

Just now, manlykeweaver465 said:

sorry i forgot to mention its windows 7 and yeah ill give that a try now 

ah right ok, Have you run windows update for a while? It might be an old build with the microsoft windows 10 junk on it thats expired and slowing down your rig. It may also be a very strange virus. If it where me I would reinstall windows anyway, might make the system feel faster once at the desktop. 

17 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

ah right ok, Have you run windows update for a while? It might be an old build with the microsoft windows 10 junk on it thats expired and slowing down your rig. It may also be a very strange virus. If it where me I would reinstall windows anyway, might make the system feel faster once at the desktop. 

i just did chkdsk and it seems to have fixed it 

1 hour ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

i just did chkdsk and it seems to have fixed it 

Ace.

20 hours ago, fixitnow said:

Ace.

never mind i loaded up this morning and it didn't take 30 mins but did take around 8 mins to load up i think i might just reinstall windows 

1 hour ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

never mind i loaded up this morning and it didn't take 30 mins but did take around 8 mins to load up i think i might just reinstall windows 

Have a go with ccleaner see if that helps. If you have a HDD have a look at a disk defrag and make sure windows can optimise an ssd and that trim is enabled. 

On 8/4/2017 at 11:19 AM, fixitnow said:

Have a go with ccleaner see if that helps. If you have a HDD have a look at a disk defrag and make sure windows can optimise an ssd and that trim is enabled. 

yeah those didnt work but i did change the number from 30 to 3 and when i restarted it did seem to load up quicker on a restart but im gonna shut down my computer and see if  it works from when i turn my pc on 

and if that doesnt fix im just gonna reinstall my OS 

8 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

yeah those didnt work but i did change the number from 30 to 3 and when i restarted it did seem to load up quicker on a restart but im gonna shut down my computer and see if  it works from when i turn my pc on 

and if that doesnt fix im just gonna reinstall my OS 

Ok well, make sure that you have a backup, or a clone of that drive. 

1 hour ago, fixitnow said:

Ok well, make sure that you have a backup, or a clone of that drive. 

Before I was gonna do it I booted into safe mode through msconfig and it goes to load in and just black screens and now when I restart it just keeps trying to get into safe mode so I have no idea what to do 

29 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

Before I was gonna do it I booted into safe mode through msconfig and it goes to load in and just black screens and now when I restart it just keeps trying to get into safe mode so I have no idea what to do 

Going to have to reinstall windows the . 

1 minute ago, fixitnow said:

Going to have to reinstall windows the . 

But when I try to it gets stuck in "setup is starting", I was gonna try running Linux from a USB and then would I be able to wipe my ssd and then install windows 

55 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

But when I try to it gets stuck in "setup is starting", I was gonna try running Linux from a USB and then would I be able to wipe my ssd and then install windows 

Yeah. Could do. You could always wipe the drove from another pc.

1 hour ago, fixitnow said:

Yeah. Could do. You could always wipe the drove from another pc.

Yeah I was gonna do that but is there a way to stop my pc from trying to go into safe mode every time I load up because if I can stop that I'll be able to get into my pc to backup some of my data before I reinstall 

2 hours ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

Yeah I was gonna do that but is there a way to stop my pc from trying to go into safe mode every time I load up because if I can stop that I'll be able to get into my pc to backup some of my data before I reinstall 

Yes. Boot to safe mode. Then press start and r then type msconfig.  Then move to the boot tab, the decheak the safe boot box, apply and then ok. 

40 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Yes. Boot to safe mode. Then press start and r then type msconfig.  Then move to the boot tab, the decheak the safe boot box, apply and then ok. 

I managed to get it up and running by reinstalling but even after I reinstalled windows and installed drivers it still got stuck on starting windows screen (it's on that screen right now)