Bios find HDD but it doesn't let system boot

Ubuntubr

Só today I found a 1 terabyte HDD in my room that for some reason that I can't remember was never installed in my build. I decided to test it, to see if it would work or not. To my surprise the pc didn't boot. I use windows 10 and it just gets to the logo and nothing else. When I enter the bios I can see the HDD and my other 2(1 160GB and 1 500Gb). My installation of windows is on the 500gb hard drive. I created a bootable usb drive so I could format the HDD but it doesn't even load to the formating screen. Whenever I take the 1 terabyte hdd out of the system it boots up normally. What should I do to fix this? 

maybe the HDD is dead and causing this problem. Or your boot priority is wrong.

I currently play PUBG, help me get chicken dinner xD

Just now, Ubuntubr said:

Só today I found a 1 terabyte HDD in my room that for some reason that I can't remember was never installed in my build. I decided to test it, to see if it would work or not. To my surprise the pc didn't boot. I use windows 10 and it just gets to the logo and nothing else. When I enter the bios I can see the HDD and my other 2(1 160GB and 1 500Gb). My installation of windows is on the 500gb hard drive. I created a bootable usb drive so I could format the HDD but it doesn't even load to the formating screen. Whenever I take the 1 terabyte hdd out of the system it boots up normally. What should I do to fix this? 

Have you tried installing the hard drive into another system if you have one? The hard drive may be malfunctioning and breaking it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 minutes ago, Batteries Included said:

What is the boot order? It could be trying to boot the wrong device. Also, sometimes a USB-2 port is better than a USB-3 port.

Booting the right HDD. And also using a USB 2 port. I don't change the boot order and it boots perfectly whenever it's not connected. Also if someone should ask yes I did check if the system doesn't change the order when it's plugged in, and it does not change

6 minutes ago, Saddy said:

Have you tried installing the hard drive into another system if you have one? The hard drive may be malfunctioning and breaking it.

Not yet. Right now the only desktop I have available is this one. Will try changing the system later. It's midnight here where I am. 

You said the drive was detected...can you boot the system with the HDD attatched and see if you feel it spin? It should make a slight noise, but you should be able to sort of feel it. Just stay clear of any fans. Touch a fan and you should call 911...

Just now, Batteries Included said:

You said the drive was detected...can you boot the system with the HDD attatched and see if you feel it spin? It should make a slight noise, but you should be able to sort of feel it. Just stay clear of any fans. Touch a fan and you should call 911...

Yes and yes. I do feel he spinning motion and I also hear it.

Just now, Ubuntubr said:

Your drive is probably not dead. You said a USB flash drive does not boot? I assume you press boot menu key and booted the flash drive... Maybe disconnecting all the other drives, the 500 and 120gb drives?

Just now, Ubuntubr said:

Ok, it is not physical damage. You may either have disk corruption or there is something with your bios settings, or something happened to your other drives with windows on it.

1 minute ago, Batteries Included said:

Your drive is probably not dead. You said a USB flash drive does not boot? I assume you press boot menu key and booted the flash drive... Maybe disconnecting all the other drives, the 500 and 120gb drives?

Yeah it doesn't get passed the loading screen. Going to try to remove all the other drives. Give me 5 min

What is the loading screen? Your motherboard MFR (Dell, HP, Gigabyte, Asus...) or the windows logo?

Windows logo. Motherboard Asus. 

Just now, Ubuntubr said:

Windows logo. Motherboard Asus. 

Oh wait, so it gets past the asus loading screen? That is big information

Just now, Saddy said:

Oh wait, so it gets past the asus loading screen? That is big information

Yes. It does. Not sure if it gets passed without the other drives...

Ok, let's see what happens after you disconnect all the other drives. Some other issues can be...

-wrong OS (64 bit and not 32 bit for older systems)

-IDE and not SATA drive (unlikely since it is 1 TB)

-faulty boot USB

How about you boot your computer without the drive plugged in, then once you are in Windows, plug in the drive.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

2 minutes ago, Batteries Included said:

Never done it before but I hear that sometimes it may not show up.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?114713-SATA-HDD-hot-swappable

Well we are not hot-plugging per se, but just plugging it in once Windows is booted well and fine. So it would be like plugging in a flash drive after booting, then leaving it connected until the PC is shut down.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

3 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Well we are not hot-plugging per se, but just plugging it in once Windows is booted well and fine. So it would be like plugging in a flash drive after booting, then leaving it connected until the PC is shut down.

I will try this. Not booting with only the 1 terabyte HDD. Gets stuck in the same place. "Setup is starting screen". When I just try to boot it without the USB I get stuck in the windows loading screen.

IMG_20170801_243651348.jpg

IMG_20170801_243837763.jpg

Plug in the 120GB HDD, remove the 1TB HDD, keep the 500GB off. Now try and boot the computer. Also, how long did you wait on the setup screen?

Plug in the 120GB HDD, remove the 1TB HDD, keep the 500GB off. Now try and boot the computer. Also, how long did you wait on the setup screen?

120gb does not have windows on it. First time about 10-15 mins. After that about 5 because it never took longer than that

The point is that it has no windows. You know the 120GB HDD works, now see if the boot flash drive works.

1 minute ago, Batteries Included said:

The point is that it has no windows. You know the 120GB HDD works, now see if the boot flash drive works.

Ok. But I will try executor's idea first.

14 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Didn't show up. Not even on window's computer management.