Considering a UPS for my PC

SpacePumpkin

So basically, the power here trips as often as once a week and its super annoying, but is only off for a few minutes at a time. I have a secondary PC that performs automated work and a main PC that I personally work on, needless to say its annoying to have both of them go, but more so the automated one. 

The automated PC has a 750W 80+ bronze PSU but the GPU is barely used and the CPU rarely goes above 50% so I doubt its real usage ever goes beyond 300W. My question is, can I buy a UPS rated lower than 750W (say 500W) and run the automated PC from it or is it a hard requirement that it must be able to provide at least 750W?

It will still run fine. I had a server with a 750W PSU running dual CPUs, with a monitor and keyboard and mouse, AND a gaming PC with a 5820k, 1000w PSU, 390X, liquid cooler, gaming mouse and keyboard, as well as another 2 monitors all powered by my UPS rated for 850watts because rarely are my power levels actually going very high, and this was enough to power surge protect everything as well as keep all systems running without interruption during storms or short power outages.

My UPS was worth the cost when it kept my TS server online while I was in middle of working on a project and talking with 10 people when I was able to see the lights flicker and turn off around me and I heard my UPS turn on and have no interruptions to anything. I fear thunderstorms no more.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

7 minutes ago, SpacePumpkin said:

So basically, the power here trips as often as once a week and its super annoying, but is only off for a few minutes at a time. I have a secondary PC that performs automated work and a main PC that I personally work on, needless to say its annoying to have both of them go, but more so the automated one. 

The automated PC has a 750W 80+ bronze PSU but the GPU is barely used and the CPU rarely goes above 50% so I doubt its real usage ever goes beyond 300W. My question is, can I buy a UPS rated lower than 750W (say 500W) and run the automated PC from it or is it a hard requirement that it must be able to provide at least 750W?

Yes the UPS only need to be large enough for the power draw, so something like this would be able to power all of that if your power draw doesn't exceed it's mac rating. 

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp850pfclcd/

9 minutes ago, SpacePumpkin said:

A 750w power supply doesn't mean that the computer is pulling 750w of power from the wall even if the psu us under extreamly heavy load, theres the efficency factor that needs to be considered because the psu converts AC power to DC power. 

Thanks for your replies, I'm guessing that if it did try to draw more than the UPS rwas rated for, the PC would just shutdown as if there was a power cut, or would it keep power cycling?

9 minutes ago, SpacePumpkin said:

Thanks for your replies, I'm guessing that if it did try to draw more than the UPS rwas rated for, the PC would just shutdown as if there was a power cut, or would it keep power cycling?

It'll trip the overcurrent protection if it tries to run on backup power and cut off.