Corsair Node Pro Firmware Update fails, LEDs not functional

Hello, 

After completion of my PC, I turned it on, and all six Corsair HD120 RGB fans and the 4 light strips lit up like a 70's acid trip. However, after installing Corsair Link 4.8.0.82, it prompted me to update the firmware on the Lighting Node Pro. I foolishly clicked proceed, all lights immediately went out,  and it hung at 1% for the next hour. I cancelled the firmware update, restarted the PC, reinstalled Link, and started searching online. I found several corsair forum postings about how to manually install the firmware using a pin and accessing the recovery storage on the device. It did not work.  Sometimes I get the first fan in the chain to work, and sometimes not. I havent seen any of the other 5 since the first update. I tried every FW version that I could find on the forums, (0.1.46 , 0.2.54 , 0.265 , 0.3.72). Ive been trying to find an older version of Link, but I cant seem to find a link for 4.5.055.  

Does anyone have any advice or a solution? Any help is appreciated!

System Specs:

AMD Ryzen 1700X

Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero

32gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB

EVGA GTX 1050ti

Corsair HX750i

Corsair HD120 x6

Corsair Lighting node Pro firmware 0.3.72

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

At this point the easiest method is probaly to reinstall windows and start over

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

At this point the easiest method is probaly to reinstall windows and start over

If he messed up the firmware in the rgb controller, reinstalling windows wouldnt help?

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

Just now, MysticalRainXIV said:

If he messed up the firmware in the rgb controller, reinstalling windows wouldnt help?

Oh is it flashed to a SD in the RGB controller.If you have no files Just DBAN and Reinstall

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Oh is it flashed to a SD in the RGB controller.If you have no files Just DBAN and Reinstall

well he talked about there being storage on the rgb controller itself, and he tried to use the recovery option which failed, so if its been corrupt, then rma may be the only option

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's not how it works.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

well he talked about there being storage on the rgb controller itself, and he tried to use the recovery option which failed, so if its been corrupt, then rma may be the only option

Oh I see.Yea RMA probaly or Contact Customer support

My life

11 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

From what I can tell, there is about 128 kilobytes of storage on the controller for the firmware. The storage itself appears to be fine, as Ive been able read and write to it multiple times without errors. I believe the issue is compatibility between Link and the nodes firmware. 

I forgot to mention in my original post, but I modified these fans by sleeving and shortening the 4 pin fan cables and painting the housing. I also bought the Node more than 30 days ago. Unfortunately I doubt RMA is an option

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

Just now, Voxels-Box said:

-snip-

I've rma'd a 17 month old graphics card before cause it started to artifact. No reason why you shouldnt try. Shortening the the cables shouldnt have affected anything, and being able to read/wrtie isnt indicative of the firmware itself being corrupt

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

4 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

I've rma'd a 17 month old graphics card before cause it started to artifact. No reason why you shouldnt try. Shortening the the cables shouldnt have affected anything, and being able to read/wrtie isnt indicative of the firmware itself being corrupt

I’ll keep that in mind. And I agree with you about shortening cables, but I wouldn’t put it past any company to deny an RMA based on modification. Though I was referring to the integrity of the storage, not the firmware. 

4 minutes ago, Voxels-Box said:

-snip-

Well, I never assumed the integrity of the storage was bad, and while they could deny rma due to modification, your modification has nothing to do with the failure and It would be difficult for them to say otherwise. 

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old post but I am having a similar issue. My lighting node pro worked fine but after a day it didn't show up in corsair link and none of the led's came on. I plugged it into a different USB header and that fixed it for 4 days and then the same happened. I am going to RMA it and hope to god that it gets fixed.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

Just now, A Silver said:

I know this is an old post but I am having a similar issue. My lighting node pro worked fine but after a day it didn't show up in corsair link and none of the led's came on. I plugged it into a different header and that fixed it for 4 days and then the same happened. I am going to RMA it and hope to god that it gets fixed.

Do any of the lights show up? like the first fan, or first strip?  I did find the solution to my problem,  (I coulda sworn I posted it here, but I guess not), and there are some plus/minus buttons next to each type of lighted component (fan/strip). By default, only the first was enabled, and the solution was to click the plus button until all of the parts were added. If you try that, does it change your lights? If you can get to that section in link, I mean.

25 minutes ago, Voxels-Box said:

Do any of the lights show up? like the first fan, or first strip?  I did find the solution to my problem,  (I coulda sworn I posted it here, but I guess not), and there are some plus/minus buttons next to each type of lighted component (fan/strip). By default, only the first was enabled, and the solution was to click the plus button until all of the parts were added. If you try that, does it change your lights? If you can get to that section in link, I mean.

Nothing, it doesn't even say lighting node pro. My H100i V2 shows up but the LNP doesn't

PC Specs:

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

1 minute ago, A Silver said:

Nothing, it doesn't even say lighting node pro. My H100i V2 shows up but the LNP doesn't

I see. Have you tried resetting the LNP firmware?  There are directions for this on the corsair forum. They have a download link on there for stock firmware.

1 minute ago, Voxels-Box said:

I see. Have you tried resetting the LNP firmware?  There are directions for this on the corsair forum. They have a download link on there for stock firmware.

I'll try that. Just to double check, I keep the PC on while I do it?

PC Specs:

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

Just now, A Silver said:

I'll try that. Just to double check, I keep the PC on while I do it?

Yes, keep the PC on. And the trick here is to reconnect the usb cable while the button is still pressed. The device will show up as a very small USB drive.

5 minutes ago, Voxels-Box said:

Yes, keep the PC on. And the trick here is to reconnect the usb cable while the button is still pressed. The device will show up as a very small USB drive.

Just done it. The LNP now shows but the fans have not lit up. Do i need to restart my PC? Also should I update the firmware or keep the old version?

PC Specs:

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

Just now, A Silver said:

Just done it. The LNP now shows but the fans have not lit up. Do i need to restart my PC? Also should I update the firmware or keep the old version?

You can replace the firmware file with the most up to date version you can find online. The current FW on your node could be damaged. So did the LNP show up in Link? or did you mean it showed up as a USB device?

You can replace the firmware file with the most up to date version you can find online. The current FW on your node could be damaged. So did the LNP show up in Link? or did you mean it showed up as a USB device?

The LNP didn't show up in corsair link but I put the firmware linked in the corsair forum (the oldest version I presume) and now it does show up in corsair link. The led's aren't on though.

PC Specs:

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

Just now, A Silver said:

The LNP didn't show up in corsair link but I put the firmware linked in the corsair forum (the oldest version I presume) and now it does show up in corsair link. The led's aren't on though.

Gotcha, okay, so now that you can access it in Link, can you check to see if you have the plus/minus buttons? You may also need to specify which type of device is on that channel.

Gotcha, okay, so now that you can access it in Link, can you check to see if you have the plus/minus buttons? You may also need to specify which type of device is on that channel.

I restarted and it works now. The question is, will it keep working or will the issue happen again. I will give it till the end of the week and if it still works, I will not RMA but if the led's stop working I will RMA

PC Specs:

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

Just now, A Silver said:

I restarted and it works now. The question is, will it keep working or will the issue happen again. I will give it till the end of the week and if it still works, I will not RMA but if the led's stop working I will RMA

I havent had issues yet, and its been working fine since the end of July when I initially had the problems.  Good luck!

I havent had issues yet, and its been working fine since the end of July when I initially had the problems.  Good luck!

Do you have the newest firmware version? The one I put on was 0.1.46 and I am worried that if I update it, the issue will happen again. Do you think I should update?

PC Specs:

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

1 minute ago, A Silver said:

Do you have the newest firmware version? The one I put on was 0.1.46 and I am worried that if I update it, the issue will happen again. Do you think I should update?

I dont remember which version I have currently. But I believe I updated Link and the LNP firmware in the last month or so.  If updating the firmware fails, you can always repeat the process of putting the older one on it.