Two 250Gb SSD's in RAID 0 or a single 500Gb SSD?

Ramzez
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Raid 0 only improves sequential transfer speeds when what makes a ssd feel fast is the random read speed and random seek time.

Raid 0 won't feel any faster and can at times be slower because of this.

A single ssd is also less hassle. 

It really depends what you want.

The Pro series isn't worth it other than the warranty.

Unless you need some decently high write speeds, the 500GB evo is a solid choice.

I'm about to run out of free space on my current SSD. I was wondering, should I go for two 250 Gb SSD's in raid 0 or a single 500 Gb SSD? I know running raid 0 affects reliability but considering how reliable SSD's are generally, would the speed improvement outweigh the loss of reliability? Cost is really similar between two 250 Gb SSD's and a single 500 Gb SSD, so cost is an irrelevant factor.

Do you guys think the new Samsung 840 Evo is worth buying or should I go for the Pro-series?

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

If 2x 250Gb is slightly cheaper than a single 500Gb ssd go for cheaper. Will you be backing up your data/information to another drive?

Marginally the 840 Pro and Evo drive will be incrementally different interms of writes & reads,

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Raid 0 only improves sequential transfer speeds when what makes a ssd feel fast is the random read speed and random seek time.

It really depends what you want.

The Pro series isn't worth it other than the warranty.

Unless you need some decently high write speeds, the 500GB evo is a solid choice.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

This + less risk of failure and data loss.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Thanks guys!

I probably go for single 500 Gb SSD because it's less hassle and apparently having two SSD's doesn't have any meaningfull speed improvement. And I always do regular backups of my drives. ;)

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Please....

It's GB... Not Gb....

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!