CPU fried?? Pls help

I have a Asus Prime H-270 Pro and i a corsair CX 550 and an Interesting I5-7600

I was really really stupid and i plugged in the legacy power/ floppy disc power into a fan controller thinking oh you do molex to fan and a fan controller is on the end, Yea i'm stupid i know i fried the mobo so i'm trying to RMA but i'm reading and i think they won't replace it so Rip my life but is my CPU fried? The GPU wasn't fried from the looks, 

The reason it friend was becuase i was dumb and was gonna test my PSU but left the legacy power in I'm so dumb ik idk i was just so excited and boom shattered my dreams but is the CPU ok or do i need a new one, Also what about the ram? the controller was right next to ram/24 pin power please help thank you!

im not quite sure what you did here to be honest

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im not quite sure what you did here to be honest

I plugged Legacy Power/ Floppy disk power from a PSU into a fan controller on my motherboard

22 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Wait what.. Floppy disk power on a H270 mobo?

I plugged the Floppy disk power/ Legacy power into a fan controller :(

@Bryce2254 I doubt the CPU and RAM are fried, tbh I think the mobo itself may have survived this, maybe only this fan header is broken now. Just hook up all cables properly and try again. 

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

1 hour ago, Bryce2254 said:

I plugged Legacy Power/ Floppy disk power from a PSU into a fan controller on my motherboard

ok. so. im still not 100% sure what you actiually did but im assumeing you pluged one of those small MOLEX connectors with 4 pins into a fanheader. that would most likely take down your board but i would say the CPU is probably fine but not guaranteed fine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, Bryce2254 said:

I have a Asus Prime H-270 Pro and i a corsair CX 550 and an Interesting I5-7600

I was really really stupid and i plugged in the legacy power/ floppy disc power into a fan controller thinking oh you do molex to fan and a fan controller is on the end, Yea i'm stupid i know i fried the mobo so i'm trying to RMA but i'm reading and i think they won't replace it so Rip my life but is my CPU fried? The GPU wasn't fried from the looks, 

The reason it friend was becuase i was dumb and was gonna test my PSU but left the legacy power in I'm so dumb ik idk i was just so excited and boom shattered my dreams but is the CPU ok or do i need a new one, Also what about the ram? the controller was right next to ram/24 pin power please help thank you!

What did it do, did it smoked, exploded, smelled or anything? The board should have some kind of overvoltage protection, but everything is possible. I suggest you check the board with different ram and CPU and try your RAM and CPU in other board

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

It made a very loud POP and smelled like burning. 

11 hours ago, dave_k said:

What did it do, did it smoked, exploded, smelled or anything? The board should have some kind of overvoltage protection, but everything is possible. I suggest you check the board with different ram and CPU and try your RAM and CPU in other board

It made very loud POP and smelled like burning

13 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok. so. im still not 100% sure what you actiually did but im assumeing you pluged one of those small MOLEX connectors with 4 pins into a fanheader. that would most likely take down your board but i would say the CPU is probably fine but not guaranteed fine

If you look at a Legacy Power connector i plugged that into a fan controller/header

14 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

@Bryce2254 I doubt the CPU and RAM are fried, tbh I think the mobo itself may have survived this, maybe only this fan header is broken now. Just hook up all cables properly and try again. 

Mobo was out i think, The LEDS were on but no boot/post so i just sent it back for an RMA lets hope they actually accept it :(

13 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

tutorial-4pin_fdd_power_conn.jpg Into a fan controller 

5 hours ago, Bryce2254 said:

It made very loud POP and smelled like burning

99% ded, CPU should be fine because fan circuit shouldnt interfere with cpu powah

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

6 hours ago, Bryce2254 said:

If you look at a Legacy Power connector i plugged that into a fan controller/header

Well at least you destroyed the fan controller and most of the motherboard. psu might have taken damage. CPU we can't say, I would guess it has a 50% chance of being alive

Builds:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Bryce2254 said:

tutorial-4pin_fdd_power_conn.jpg Into a fan controller 

Yah that's what I was talking about. It's almost entirely the reverse of a fan header 

Builds:

Spoiler