Overkill PSU, should I downgrade it?

Coolioalert

Hey guys I currently have a AMD 955 Black, a 6850, 3 HDDs and an SSD, running a Silverstone 1000 watt power supply. I know it is overkill but I got it 2 or 3 years ago when I didn't know as much about power supplies.

My question to you is do you think it is worth downgrading to something more around 750 watts? All I plan to do with my system in the future is throw a Core i5/i7 Haswell processor in there as well as a nVidia 6xx/7xx card and maybe get rid of a hard drive.

Other specs of my current build:

-Antec Nine Hundred Two (no fancy lighting)

-4 Case fans

-Noctua DH14

-Single Bluray reader

-16GB RAM

-No overclocking of any components

All opinions appreciated.

Which PSU exactly? I mean, if you have such a high capacity PSU, why switch it?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

No reason to downgrade, your system is not using more with power with a 1000 watt PSU as it would with a 750 watt PSU. If it's not a good 1000 watt PSU though, it would make sense to UPGRADE to a good 750 watt PSU.

So why are you getting rid of it? Although your system will hypothetically pull maybe 400w when you do upgrade you'll still have the capacity to have an overclock cpu, maybe dual cards. I don't know.

Not many 1000w psu in the last 3 years are that inefficient.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I believe it is this one here:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=68726&vpn=ST1000-G%20Evolution&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology&promoid=1220

The Silvestone Strider, it has lasted me already at least 2 years without issues. The reason I bring this up is because I remember Linus saying something about overkill power supplies being less efficient unless they are under 80% load or something to that nature.

A good PSU will last for ages and you never know when you might need more power... It shouldn't use extra power but only the necessary power needed to run the system. 

That's a good PSU! Don't switch it.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Hey guys I currently have a AMD 955 Black, a 6850, 3 HDDs and an SSD, running a Silverstone 1000 watt power supply. I know it is overkill but I got it 2 or 3 years ago when I didn't know as much about power supplies.

My question to you is do you think it is worth downgrading to something more around 750 watts? All I plan to do with my system in the future is throw a Core i5/i7 Haswell processor in there as well as a nVidia 6xx/7xx card and maybe get rid of a hard drive.

Other specs of my current build:

-Antec Nine Hundred Two (no fancy lighting)

-4 Case fans

-Noctua DH14

-Single Bluray reader

-16GB RAM

-No overclocking of any components

All opinions appreciated.

Echoing everyone's opinion...its a 1000watts of pow-pow-power...its Silverstone...leave it be. You are already set for expansion :D :D :D

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

Thanks everyone, I'll leave it be!

As a general rule NEVER downgrade if you have a choice

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3