Monitor Shopping

maxofox

Hi

I'm in the procsess of building my first PC. I have a pretty good idea on what i want in terms of the rest of the parts but im lost on what monitor i should purchase. I'm looking for one that is good for gaming and preferabley supports dual link DVI. I'm willing to spend around $300 dollars.

My system Specs are:
intel i5-4670K

Asrock Z87 Killer motherboard

Msi Geforce gtx 770

16GB RAM

2TB hardrive

256Gb sandisk ultraplus SSD

Which monitor could you recommend?

Hey,

What kind of monitor do you want? 60hz/120hz\144hz?

For great colour clarity it games, It will be either IPS or PLS panel which are 60hz. If you want the fastest response times and high refresh rates, a 120hz/144hz monitor would be best. The downside to higher refresh rate monitors is the lower colour depth and accuracy.

Here are 2 options within your budget you could choose:

BenQ XL2420TE 144Hz

Youtube review by Linus, himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wIMaYjklE

ASUS VX279Q 27-Inch Screen

Unfortunately, Linus hasn't done a review of the Asus monitor.

I hope this helps,

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Do you have a price point? A preference that you like for panel types? TN? IPS? PLS? VA?

Use case scenario?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I personally recommend the Asus VS247H. I have it, and it is a great 23.6" monitor with a 1920x1080 native resolution. I am not sure about the refresh rate, but I think it is 50 or 60hz. Great monitor with VGA, DVI-D and HDMI. Good price, too.

Yo whats up.

Hey,

What kind of monitor do you want? 60hz/120hz\144hz?

For great colour clarity it games, It will be either IPS or PLS panel which are 60hz. If you want the fastest response times and high refresh rates, a 120hz/144hz monitor would be best. The downside to higher refresh rate monitors is the lower colour depth and accuracy.

Here are 2 options within your budget you could choose:

BenQ XL2420TE 144Hz

Youtube review by Linus, himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6wIMaYjklE

ASUS VX279Q 27-Inch Screen

Unfortunately, Linus hasn't done a review of the Asus monitor.

I hope this helps,

Elven

I totally agree. The BENQ monitor would ideal for Maxofox's set-up (In some ways...). I use BENQ monitors and they have served me amazingly well! Great for their price!

Hi

I'm in the procsess of building my first PC. I have a pretty good idea on what i want in terms of the rest of the parts but im lost on what monitor i should purchase. I'm looking for one that is good for gaming and preferabley supports dual link DVI. I'm willing to spend around $300 dollars.

My system Specs are:

intel i5-4670K

Asrock Z87 Killer motherboard

Msi Geforce gtx 770

16GB RAM

2TB hardrive

256Gb sandisk ultraplus SSD

Which monitor could you recommend?

With your 770, your mostly limited to the 256bit bus on it, so I wouls stay at 180p displays. Maybe bump up to a 780 if you plan to go to a 1440p display. 

But it's all up to you from there. If you're going 1080p, find your price point, go on a hunt to see which type of display is best for you (IPS, TN, .. ets) if you're just going to be sitting in front of it, if you want bettor colors over faster refresh rate, all that good stuff. It's really alot of looking into YouTube videos, and lots of personal preference.

That's how I shop for all of my things anyway. Everybody is different though!  

Thanks For the help i'm looking at the BenQ XL2420TE or the ASUS MX239H, Because I live in Australia Its harder for me to get stuff off of amazon so i have to get it locally. But i suppose it ultimately comes down unto how much i'm willing to pay.

Thanks For the help i'm looking at the BenQ XL2420TE or the ASUS MX239H, Because I live in Australia Its harder for me to get stuff off of amazon so i have to get it locally. But i suppose it ultimately comes down unto how much i'm willing to pay.

I live in Australia as well :D