Epyc/Threadripper Socket Question

Go to solution Solved by Ground,

Can't find a source anymore, but these are the basic facts

EPYC - 128 PCIe lanes, 8 memory channels, 4 DIEs/CPU vs Threadripper - 64 PCIe lanes, 4 memory channels, 2 DIEs/CPU

IF they are wired similarly, and someone WOULD DECIDE to support both variants in the microcode, we would probably have a similar situation to Skylake EP - only half the memory slots work and only half the PCIe lanes are available. I'm not gonna say its impossible, but rather improbable and there are some big IFs here... 

Really, get a motherboard meant for the CPU you want and not one that might work if you are very very lucky...

So been trying to find this information, and just can't find a reliable source to confirm this one way or another.

Can the 1socket Epyc chips be used in an TR4 socket? 

My understanding in they share the same physical socket(pinouts), but that the TR4 might have some pins not connected(presumably ECC or Hardware virtualization specific ones?). However does lack of these connections mean Epyc won't work at all? Or it'll work minus some features(or it just will be bios locked out even if it could hypothetically work).

Looking to do a 32 core workstation build and basically just want to know if the Gigabyte MZ31-AR0  is essentially my only ATX option for a 1 socket Epyc motherboard right now.

Appreciate any knowledge, though considering this platform is just hitting, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is simply "No one currently knows".

They use the same socket, but are not compatible. To use an EPYC CPU you have to get an EPYC compatible motherboard. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 minute ago, Ground said:

They use the same socket, but are not compatible. To use an EPYC CPU you have to get an EPYC compatible motherboard. 

Thank you, if it's not too much trouble do you happen to remember where you read/learned that?(trust but verify!). 

first wait for Threadripper to come out.

since the sockets are very similar their is a chance it might work, or that a motherboard manufacture (AsRock) to make a x399 board that works with Epyc.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Can't find a source anymore, but these are the basic facts

EPYC - 128 PCIe lanes, 8 memory channels, 4 DIEs/CPU vs Threadripper - 64 PCIe lanes, 4 memory channels, 2 DIEs/CPU

IF they are wired similarly, and someone WOULD DECIDE to support both variants in the microcode, we would probably have a similar situation to Skylake EP - only half the memory slots work and only half the PCIe lanes are available. I'm not gonna say its impossible, but rather improbable and there are some big IFs here... 

Really, get a motherboard meant for the CPU you want and not one that might work if you are very very lucky...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

True, considering I need those extra PCIE lanes, you might be right and whether it works or not just doesn't matter for my use case. Thanks, I hadn't considered that. 

• 1 month later...

If we look to the socket TR4 itself, we can see 4 LGA zones. And maybe they cannot be used with today's Threadripper CPUs.

We don't know yet - are all 128 PCI lanes available for EPYC in single CPU configuration (also the same situation with 8 system memory channels). It can be situation that EPYC can work full power only in dual CPU configuration.

In other hand, AMD can easily create a 32 cores for some new Threadripper. I think technically it's possible, but it seams to be not a near future. Because this step can decrease EPYC sales. But it can be possible in 3+ years perspective.

Its all IMHO, though