Fresh Install what to do next

Billy_Mays

I installed windows again and need to know how to setup my secondary drive and I got my stuff that I need so what can I should I do know 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

First I would install motherboard and graphics drivers but as for the second drive this video should help: 

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

if the drive is not formatted yet and you are on windows 10, right click on the start button and go to disk management. Down below you will see your drives. If any are black lines, that means they are not formatted. Right click on it and hit format disk and follow the prompts. If it is formatted, then there is nothing you should have to do. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

if the drive is not formatted yet and you are on windows 10, right click on the start button and go to disk management. Down below you will see your drives. If any are black lines, that means they are not formatted. Right click on it and hit format disk and follow the prompts. If it is formatted, then there is nothing you should have to do. 

Ok I did that and anything else that I should do?

5 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

I installed windows again and need to know how to setup my secondary drive and I got my stuff that I need so what can I should I do know 

connect it to your computer, if windows was installed on the drive, make sure you are booting from the proper harddrive in bios, after boot it should show up as a secondary drive as usual. copy the files you need (opening your old user folder may take a few minutes) then format it and use it as normal

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Just now, Changis said:

connect it to your computer, if windows was installed on the drive, make sure you are booting from the proper harddrive in bios, after boot it should show up as a secondary drive as usual. copy the files you need (opening your old user folder may take a few minutes) then format it and use it as normal

Yeah I formatted them both in the windows installer yesterday

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Yeah I formatted them both in the windows installer yesterday

then it should be "plug&play"

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Just now, Changis said:

then it should be "plug&play"

Ok I'm installing all of the stuff I need to 

6 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Ok I did that and anything else that I should do?

that should be all you need to do. The drive should have been automatically assigned a letter, likely D: or E: if you have an optical drive installed. You should be all set to be able to start putting programs and installing items onto the drive now. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

In windows type in "disk partition" and make sure your other 500gb drive is formatted and you can assign it a letter there if you want once you create a volume.

13 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

that should be all you need to do. The drive should have been automatically assigned a letter, likely D: or E: if you have an optical drive installed. You should be all set to be able to start putting programs and installing items onto the drive now. 

Takes a while for steam to load and work 

11 minutes ago, NinJake said:

In windows type in "disk partition" and make sure your other 500gb drive is formatted and you can assign it a letter there if you want once you create a volume.

I've dont that already it's been about 15 minutes about but Steam is super slow

If you are planning to use another drive as place for software, create folders for Program Files and Program Files (x86). After that you can select which drive software is installing by just changing drive letter. This is BY FAR easiest way to handle things and won't make things super-annoying if you need to do system restore in future. Most software (looking angrily at Chrome) have option to choose install location.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

43 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you are planning to use another drive as place for software, create folders for Program Files and Program Files (x86). After that you can select which drive software is installing by just changing drive letter. This is BY FAR easiest way to handle things and won't make things super-annoying if you need to do system restore in future. Most software (looking angrily at Chrome) have option to choose install location.

I got most of the stuff I need downloaded but I really dont like it when stuff wont let you choose where it will go

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

I got most of the stuff I need downloaded but I really dont like it when stuff wont let you choose where it will go

Well, one reason I don't personally use Ninite. I don't remember if it allows to choose or not, last I tried it didn't. I prefer to individual downloads over it. Its good option if you only have single drive for software, like with big SSDs or older systems with single HDD. Its also reason why I've ditched Chrome and use Opera instead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well, one reason I don't personally use Ninite. I don't remember if it allows to choose or not, last I tried it didn't. I prefer to individual downloads over it. Its good option if you only have single drive for software, like with big SSDs or older systems with single HDD. Its also reason why I've ditched Chrome and use Opera instead.

Yeah with my setup right now I have 2 hdd but in the future I will have multiple hdds and a big SSD

On 7/24/2017 at 5:49 PM, Billy_Mays said:

Install your software and such. Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Consider a new Anti Virus if you dont trust the one built in. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Install your software and such. Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Consider a new Anti Virus if you dont trust the one built in. 

I've had it running for since Monday afternoon