Network sharing and firewalls

Joveice

I will be talking just about a windows computer.

Hello, If I do those bride connections on ethernet ports will the computer using the bridge connection use the "host" computer's firewall or does it go past that and just right out?

If I setup my PC to use the wifi card as a hotspot to share the ethernet internet will it then use the "host" computer's firewall?

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

bridged ports will pass through the traffic of other devices without applying the Firewall to that traffic. The firewall is only applied to traffic actually addressed to the computer.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

bridged ports will pass through the traffic of other devices without applying the Firewall to that traffic. The firewall is only applied to traffic actually addressed to the computer.

Any other ways to do this? I want to use the firewall for other devices (without using their firewall)

Just now, Joveice said:

Any other ways to do this? I want to use the firewall for other devices (without using their firewall)

you'd have to make the computer operate as a router, instead of a bridge/AP. Windows technically be made to do this but I wouldn't recommend this, it isn't the most stable setup in Windows (for non-Server versions at least) and tends to break down and have mysterious issues.

Just now, brwainer said:

you'd have to make the computer operate as a router, instead of a bridge/AP. Windows technically be made to do this but I wouldn't recommend this, it isn't the most stable setup in Windows (for non-Server versions at least) and tends to break down and have mysterious issues.

Could you explain? I mean I want to do that, but I would also want to know issues that could happen since you mentioned that. This would not be a permanent thing, just a now and then.

And yes, the windows will be a Non server version, most likley the normal Home edition.

For this would there be diffrences in version? etc Win 10 / 8 / 8.1 / 7 ?

What you want to look up is "Internet Connection Sharing". This feature more or less turns your computer into a router, including NAT and DHCP. The issues that I have had in the past is that it will mysteriously stop working in ways that are difficult to diagnose even to someone with networking and sysadmin experience. When I tried using it in the past, I was constantly having to remove the configuration and redo it because it would stop passing data for either the clients or the host. I've seen these issues both with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

What you want to look up is "Internet Connection Sharing". This feature more or less turns your computer into a router, including NAT and DHCP. The issues that I have had in the past is that it will mysteriously stop working in ways that are difficult to diagnose even to someone with networking and sysadmin experience. When I tried using it in the past, I was constantly having to remove the configuration and redo it because it would stop passing data for either the clients or the host. I've seen these issues both with Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Okey, I'll look into this.

Now when I'm done, how simple is it to "remove" or "disable" it as in going back to what it was?

18 minutes ago, Joveice said:

Okey, I'll look into this.

Now when I'm done, how simple is it to "remove" or "disable" it as in going back to what it was?

removing the setup is, for the most part, just the opposite of setting it up. The only issue is that whatever interface you told the setup to make the "inside" or "LAN" interface will be left with a static IP, usually 192.168.137.1, and you have to reset that to DHCP (obtain an IP address automatically) if you later want to reuse that interface as a normal one.

BTW if you are going to set up ICS, make sure to remove all bridged interfaces from the computer beforehand. Bridging and ICS conflict with each other.

Just now, brwainer said:

BTW if you are going to set up ICS, make sure to remove all bridged interfaces from the computer beforehand. Bridging and ICS conflict with each other.

I'll note that down, thanks!