Quadro vs Geforce for graphic design

Hey everyone!

My wife is a freelance graphic designer, and she's due for a new workstation PC (not Mac). She currently works on a MSI gaming laptop (a few years old, i7, 16gig ram, ssd, GTX760m) - her main programs are Adobe Illustrator CC, Photoshop and InDesign.

The big question - would it be worth the money to get something like a Quadro P2000 for her new pc instead of a Geforce card? We're in South Africa, and the cost of a P2000 is around ZAR8000 to ZAR9500 ($620 - $735 based on current exchange rates). I could get for the same amount a GTX1070 or even a 1080. 

It's gonna be coupled with at least 32gigs of RAM, and the CPU will either be a i7 7700K (4 core), or the i7 7800X (6 core).

Question time:

1.  For what she does (no gaming, just designing) P2000 vs GTX1070/1080 - which will give her better performance in Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign? 

2.  I don't plan on overclocking, and for only about (ZAR500 / $40) more I can get the 7800X cpu which is a six core vs the 7700k which is the quad core - which would serve her better - from what I can tell the 7700k will give better single core performance, but only just?

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback!

Cheers from South Africa

Rudi

1: get the 1080, your wife most likely dosent need certified drivers so the GTX card will preform vastly better

2: the 7800x is a better chip for you, but you havent factored in the $250 for a X299 motherboard. i would recomend going for a R7 1800x here seeing as its a 8 core 16 thread chip that should outpreform the 7800x in edeting and rendering tasks if they scale well with threads and would only come out at around the cost of the 7700K you planed on getting.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

1: get the 1080, your wife most likely dosent need certified drivers so the GTX card will preform vastly better

2: the 7800x is a better chip for you, but you havent factored in the $250 for a X299 motherboard. i would recomend going for a R7 1800x here seeing as its a 8 core 16 thread chip that should outpreform the 7800x in edeting and rendering tasks if they scale well with threads and would only come out at around the cost of the 7700K you planed on getting.

1: i agree
2: dont get the 1800x,go with a 1700 and oc it
cheaper and same performance

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

awesome thanks guys, yeah I can get a Ryzen 7 1700 for ZAR4900 (about $380), which is about ZAR600 cheaper than the 7700k :)

8 minutes ago, McHox said:

1: i agree
2: dont get the 1800x,go with a 1700 and oc it
cheaper and same performance

he litteraly said he wouldent overclock

22 minutes ago, rudivdw said:

2.  I don't plan on overclocking,

otherwise i wouldent have recomended it

6 minutes ago, rudivdw said:

awesome thanks guys, yeah I can get a Ryzen 7 1700 for ZAR4900 (about $380), which is about ZAR600 cheaper than the 7700k :)

if you want to overclock the the 1700 is a much more economical choice but seeing as you said you wouldent overclock the 1800x makes more sense for you

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, rudivdw said:

its worth noting that since you said you do not plan on overclocking, there is a tangible benefit to purchasing an 1800x instead of a 1700. the 1800x comes with massively better stock clockspeeds, but no stock cooler (you will need to invest a bit more money in an aftermarket cooler for it). However, it would be very easy to overclock your 1700 to stock 1800x levels of performance (with the included cooler on the 1700) if you would be okay with learning how... 15 minutes worth of time on youtube learning how to overclock your 1700 could save you hundreds of USD instead of buying the 1800x and it would give you about the same level of performance.

@rudivdw

As others have said a 1080 and an R7 with a B350 motherboard would be a great option for your wife.

Regarding the R7 specifically. Normally I would recommend the 1700 as it can overclock just as well as the more expensive tiers (I have 1700 clocked higher than a stock 1800X). Overclocking is a bit daunting for 1st timers but I and plenty of others can help you do it. The 1700 has the benefit of coming with a decent cooler in the box so that is more money saved. However if you really really don't want to overclock at all then the 1800X may be for you.

Don't waste your money on Intel, they have no good product for these applications. Go for an R7 1700 and whatever's left, put it into whatever GTX 10x0 (ti) in might sum up to be.

4 minutes ago, Snooli said:

Don't waste your money on Intel, they have no good product for these applications.

That's just not true.... there are a lot of "workstation" class softwares (such as photoshop from what I've heard) which do not fully scale with all potential available cores (beyond 4-6) and, like games, will scale better with the much faster Intel cores. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely an argument for Ryzen's price:performance, but that hardly means Intel is obsolete, not to mention Ryzen doesn't actually have anything capable of matching Intel's counterparts as far as raw performance is concerned.... Ryzen is only appealing for its price (which is a hell of a good reason to make it appealing), but its not outright "better".

20 minutes ago, Snooli said:

Don't waste your money on Intel, they have no good product for these applications. Go for an R7 1700 and whatever's left, put it into whatever GTX 10x0 (ti) in might sum up to be.

You are a fanboy, do not give advice like that again.  

i wouldnt go 7800k imo, just not worth the price. 1700 or if you dont want to OC then 1800x.

the ryzen is a better buy for graphics work. When amd showed its tech demo of ryzen beating skylake in IPCs it was with rendering. So architecturally you'll be better off with ryzen for your CPU. The GPU however, it is dependent on the features you need. If you need ECC and lots of vram (huge scenes like what is done in animated movies) or if the software you use specifically requires it, that is when you get a quadro. Otherwise get yourself a geforce card as you'll be saving a lot of money.

Even in industry, only the final process is done with quadros. Initial designs dont really use quadro unless the scenes are huge or the software specifically requires it. When GPU rendering is done a quadro is used as it can take long to render the whole movie or even specific scenes for review but its also because that the scenes are huge.

For a freelance graphic designer you can take a 2 way approach that is cheaper. If you need the features the quadro offers, get a low end quadro, couple it with a gtx 1080 ti for example so you can have both the quadro features, and the faster speeds of geforce for rendering for a lot less. This is assuming the software you use can use the GPU (such as blender and 3ds max).

awesome guys, thanks for the tips and suggestions - I'm keen to learn overclocking the 1700  so that might be the option we end up going for (the only reason I said I don't plan on overclocking was to maybe not get the K series, which as I understand it has the unlocked multiplier...).

I've just used intel for as long as I can remember, and didn't even think about the Ryzen series at all for this build to be honest. As for the graphics card, we're gonna go for Geforce instead of Quadro - since the missus don't do 3D stuff, just 2D (lots of vector graphics), I don't think spending that money on the quadro will actually be worth it then.

Thanks for all the advice good people, much appreciated!