Can the Intel Core i5-2520M's iGPU Handle a 1600x900 LCD Display?

Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,
6 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

I won't be hard core gaming at all. I have a desktop for that. I was just wondering if it will handle videos and maybe a non-demanding game here and there. The laptop I am using is a HP 6560b.

Okay, cool. Looking at the repair manual, the Probook 6560B can support 900p or 1080p screens.

I have an i5 2410M, no discrete GPU, and a 1600*900 display in my laptop (Elitebook 8470p), it works just fine.

Hello, so I plan on upgrading the display on an old laptop. The current screen (15.6 inch 1366x768) has been damaged. I was wondering if the iGPU on the i5-2520M would be able to handle a 1600x900 screen without having horrible frame rate.

Yes it can

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It depends on your laptop, not your iGPU.

The CPU is clocked at 2.5GHz and has 8GB of RAM. Is that good enough?

Just now, That_PC_Kid said:

No, what is your laptop? I can assure you the CPU is fine, and will work fine, but the panel may not be compatible with your laptop.

1 minute ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Depends on game. Laptop cooling system is important too. I am typing on a laptop with an i5-2520M and a 1600x900 screen, it handles light games pretty well for a few minutes, then it starts throttling and the framerate tanks.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

No, what is your laptop? I can assure you the CPU is fine, and will work fine, but the panel may not be compatible with your laptop.

HP 6560b

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Depends on game. Laptop cooling system is important too. I am typing on a laptop with an i5-2520M and a 1600x900 screen, it handles light games pretty well for a few minutes, then it starts throttling and the framerate tanks.

I won't be hard core gaming at all. I have a desktop for that. I was just wondering if it will handle videos and maybe a non-demanding game here and there. The laptop I am using is a HP 6560b.

6 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Okay, cool. Looking at the repair manual, the Probook 6560B can support 900p or 1080p screens.

I have an i5 2410M, no discrete GPU, and a 1600*900 display in my laptop (Elitebook 8470p), it works just fine.

7 hours ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Hello, so I plan on upgrading the display on an old laptop.

I can only speak for my HP Probook as I wanted to upgrade the screen. The problem is that changing the resolution is not allowed and therefore won't work for my model. Did you google it if it will work with a different screen size?

7 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I can only speak for my HP Probook as I wanted to upgrade the screen. The problem is that changing the resolution is not allowed and therefore won't work for my model. Did you google it if it will work with a different screen size?

Yes you can. I checked on the HP forums and it said I could. I just have to update the BIOS and a few display drivers. I just wanted to know if the higher resolution would be fine with the hardware.

1 hour ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Yes you can. I checked on the HP forums and it said I could. I just have to update the BIOS and a few display drivers. I just wanted to know if the higher resolution would be fine with the hardware.

I looked on google and found a guide to upgrade my hp 4530s ProBook with a 720p screen to 1080p even tho it is not officially supported by HP. I already upgraded my cpu to an i7 2670qm, included an SSD.  I just ordered the parts for the new screen because I wasn't quite happy with 720p thanks to your post B|

My laptop officially only supports 900p just as yours.