Burned Out With Tech Jobs

PineyCreek
On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, Pohernori said:

wait, software engineering is easy and fun? 

I enjoy it, made $50 in 3 hours the other day building a script for someone.

Most of that was testing it worked....

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

So in the last decade I have been able to enjoy choosing where I work from i.e. home, an office or a beach for example, when I work i.e. setting my own hours/days and having the ability to bugger off on holiday to a great many remote tropical islands to mention just a few of the things on the quality of life side.

I've got to say, that sounds lovely.  Wish I could make it to that state of living.  Maybe I will someday.

8 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I've got to say, that sounds lovely.  Wish I could make it to that state of living.  Maybe I will someday.

Why not start today? I probably started with less than you have right now. I left school with terrible grades, 0 qualifications and absolutely no future prospects and to compound it all I was in the worst and poorest social class and had suffered an abusive childhood.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I enjoy it, made $50 in 3 hours the other day building a script for someone.

Most of that was testing it worked....

> Wake up early to get to work in the morning 

> wreck brain for 1 hour thinking of a new script to modify a software function

> wreck brain for another hour searching for a non existent documentation 

> complete coding 

> lunch

> debug for another 2 hours 

> "why is the other feature acting weirdly now?"

> resolve conflict for 1 hour

> make code more efficient

> present to boss 

> proceed to the next function

> home 

Debugging can drag on for a few days sometimes. 

It was more draining and boring for me.

was

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'm an aspiring IT worker, heard it was stressful, so it would make sense.  I think though there is a point that everyone has had enough. You don't have to stop being in tech, maybe just stop support.  If you've built up a good amount of savings. Perhaps writing technology books, or doing courses stuff along those lines? It sounds like you've got a decent amount of experience.  And while it's hard work it lets you stay at home and have fun teaching the subjects you want to teach.  

There are many institutions that teach experience and have tutors that have real industry experience.  You could look around for community colleges or private institutions, many of them have pre-written course material and you just help out with things students might have. I know these are still support roles which isn't what you want.

The only one who can really decide is yourself, so ask yourself what you truly want to do.  And put aside all the fact whether it's possible or not and just think about it.  Because even if it's not realistic it will lead you to where you want to go. I've always wanted to write books, write courses, and get into sales & network marketing.  I got offered a position at a company called Enagic, but I'm too young, and it's easy being in the safe zone.  So old, or young, break out of it and truly enjoy life.  

11 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

You can, I know of people who were 60 years old when they started their business and are living a very nice life today.  In fact, a couple my mom knows, the husband had an accident while scuba diving, and they run a store.  And they were both guttered, he decided to sell his store and get into network marketing.  Now they are both in their 70's and literally make 6 figures a month.   So it doesn't depend how old you are, it matters WHAT you do, and HOW you do it.  So your life is what you make it. I know it's poorly explained but it's true. 

3 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Why not start today? I probably started with less than you have right now. I left school with terrible grades, 0 qualifications and absolutely no future prospects and to compound it all I was in the worst and poorest social class and had suffered an abusive childhood.

Yes.  I've had a very rough upbringing.  I'm in college after I dropped out of school with terrible grades running a student loan and student allowance.  I'm making the most of the situation I can, since the age of 11, I've had no help, no guidance.  I've had to make it on my own, and just find my own mentors, push my way through. I'm damn lucky I'm where I am now, I should be on the streets homeless. 

I'm a big believer in working toward your dreams.  It's all about work ethic in the end, if you suck at working then you're probably not gonna achieve anything.  If you work endlessly for a goal you want to achieve with all your heart you have a good chance of making it.  Everyone today seems to be lazy and fat, so it's pretty easy to stand out with a good work ethic.  

12 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

I'm a big believer in working toward your dreams.  It's all about work ethic in the end, if you suck at working then you're probably not gonna achieve anything.  If you work endlessly for a goal you want to achieve with all your heart you have a good chance of making it.  Everyone today seems to be lazy and fat, so it's pretty easy to stand out with a good work ethic. 

Awesome way to put it! I love it xD

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.