Kodi or Plex which is better for local streaming?

Hi,

Just want some feed back on what would be the most ideal streaming app, for direct streaming/playback without transcoding.

Kodi or Plex?

Im using a Sony Kdl55w800c with android tv.

Cheers.

I'm preferential to Plex myself.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Depends what you want really. Kodi is generally a little faster to navigate and get around, but it doesn't arrange series, films and such in categories or get information on its own like Plex does. If you just want something to play files and you know where things are, Kodi is probably better. However, if you want n experience more similar to Netflix, where you have a synopsis and cover art for films/series, Plex is better. 

I personally use Plex because I have a lot of anime series and it's difficult to remember which ones are which with just the names alone. Having cover art and a synopsis helps a lot for that. It's also better at keeping track of your progress if you're watching through a series.

Kodi is a bit like playing files through file explorer in Windows as it's just the folders and files as they are, while Plex is like Netflix, where things are arranged in categories. 

In short and IMO, Plex is more a pain in the ass to categorize everything, but in the end looks beautiful and you only have to do it once, great for many clients. I'd choose XBMCKodi if I only have 1 client.

15 hours ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Just want some feed back on what would be the most ideal streaming app, for direct streaming/playback without transcoding.

Kodi or Plex?

Cheers.

Ive used both. Plex is nice because it discreetly runs on my PC and I can stream content to my fire stick. Kodi I think even has an option to use plex app. While Kodi can be installed on the fire stick, its slows it down by a lot. Also, not sure now kodi is going to fair in the legal battles it has in the UK. Remember its used by pirates. ARG. Which gives Kodi a bad name when its actually the 3rd party add ons that do piracy. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I personally use Plex because I have a lot of anime series and it's difficult to remember which ones are which with just the names alone. Having cover art and a synopsis helps a lot for that.

Err, while this is all up to personal preference, Kodi most CERTAINLY presents it's library of content with cover art, thumbnails, and synopsis.  I'm at a bit at a loss as to why you think it doesn't. o.O

Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi Kodi !!!

59744e45d2656_Screenshotfrom2017-07-2310-19-21.png.3a575b8c01445649fc55055292493d94.png

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Err, while this is all up to personal preference, Kodi most CERTAINLY presents it's library of content with cover art, thumbnails, and synopsis.  I'm at a bit at a loss as to why you think it doesn't. o.O

Ah, maybe it's just the version or how I have things set up then. All the times I've used Kodi, it's just the folder and file structure as you'd have it in Windows Explorer. I have it running in the living room for multiple people to access but I haven't really looked into it too much as I use Plex for my personal setup. 

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Ah, maybe it's just the version or how I have things set up then. All the times I've used Kodi, it's just the folder and file structure as you'd have it in Windows Explorer. I have it running in the living room for multiple people to access but I haven't really looked into it too much as I use Plex for my personal setup. 

I think that you were using file view mode instead of 'Library Mode'. o.O

On 7/22/2017 at 6:00 AM, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

Kodi or Plex?

Cheers.

PLEX, their is a great community and innovation behind it.

They are both free. Why not install one and test it out? Personally tough I like Plex in terms of navigation more than kodi. BUT Kodi is much more customization from what I have seen. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.