Control ambient RGB led strip with PC

TheNuzziNuzz

I have almost 30ft worth of RGB Led strips running around my music and gaming setup. They use a 4 pin connector, a 12v, R, G, and B, pins. I want to control the color of them from my computer. Because I do a lot with music, it would make sense to use MIDI as it already has the ability to work with color LEDS. The hard part is actually going from software to the physical pins/strip. I have of people using an Arduino, but I have no experience with one. Have any of you done anything like this before? Any ideas?

Computers r fun

arduino, mosfets, 220ohm resistors and then a molex power for the 12V. Not sure how you'd hook it up for the software.  gate goes to the arduino with the 220ohm resistor connected, drain goes to the LED strip and the source goes to ground. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj4v_z935jVAhUJNhoKHbnrCtcQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Flearn.adafruit.com%2Frgb-led-strips%2Fusage&psig=AFQjCNEWL3Yw49bG0Pj0IAFQj8nd-LsPIw&ust=1500670658888512

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I'm using an Arduino Uno r3 with the APA102 lights. I used the +5v (you can use +12v if the strips you use needs that) from a sata molex cable to directly power the LEDs and then wired the data cables (clock + data) to the arduino (ground has to be attached to the Arduino as well). Not sure how that would work with a 4 pins (1 +12v) though. Looking at @werto165 link, it seems you can drive 250+ leds with the Arduino, but I haven't tried that. I have 125 LEDs and power them directly.

You can use FastLED to control the lights, I use it to update them in real time depending on the image on the screen.