Can someone explain how this network setup fixed my GTA Online lobby disconnections?

ddswh1pk0s

To me it seems like adding the extra layer in the old router seems pointless but like they say if it stupid and it works it ain't stupid.

Just wondering if the new setup makes any difference in why I no longer get disconnected from GTA Online lobbies? I read up that the brand of my current router (Technicolor) interferes with GTA Online for some reason, but both the old router and current router are the exact same model.

Enjoy these badly drawn pictures, they explain it better than I can type

596ff2399c14c_OldSetup.png.29c1ed682b7c35eb70931435ff794b13.png

596ff239326ff_GTAOnlineSetup.png.e595a29207079ff73520d8039fc9418f.png

Seeing the settings of each router could help. My first guess is something DNS related, maybe they use different DNS servers.

Are they running the same settings and firmware version? I'd expect it's something to do with the router's firewall interfering with the connection if they're not running identical configurations. 

EDIT: You could try setting the router and your PC to use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) servers to see if it's a DNS issue as @mail929 suggested

I guess it's DNS or DHCP related.

Because you have it in bridged mode you basically created 2 separate networks instead of 1 big one.

There's likely a setting on the current router and fibre termination box that causes conflicts but because you separated them it's not exactly solved but bypassed/avoided.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, mail929 said:

Seeing the settings of each router could help. My first guess is something DNS related, maybe they use different DNS servers.

After I put the old router into bridge mode, I can't see what the settings of the old one are, if I can somehow get in, what settings would you like to see?

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Are they running the same settings and firmware version? I'd expect it's something to do with the router's firewall interfering with the connection if they're not running identical configurations. 

EDIT: You could try setting the router and your PC to use Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) servers to see if it's a DNS issue as @mail929 suggested

The old router is ironically running a newer firmware version to the current router. There is no way for me to flash a firmware update or dd-wrt onto either of them. As for DNS settings, I'm pretty sure my router's firmware doesn't have a feature to change the DNS servers used, I can change them on my PC however if that would help

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

I guess it's DNS or DHCP related.

Because you have it in bridged mode you basically created 2 separate networks instead of 1 big one.

There's likely a setting on the current router and fibre termination box that causes conflicts but because you separated them it's not exactly solved but bypassed/avoided.

As of yet I'm pretty sure there is no way to access the settings of the fibre termination box. I can try a couple things to get into them but they might not work, is there any particular settings that would be conflicting? both routers and the box are running default settings except a couple of forwarded ports for other programs.