1 Year Benchmark Aluminium Watercooler

RogerAdans

Like the current benchmark for fans blowing directions.

I want to see a video on LTT with a watercooler full aluminum, an aluminum with some copper parts, an aluminum block with all the rest of the parts as copper.

After a year, we can see if that galvanic corrosion does something.

If you like this idea post something here.

Btw, this idea doesn't require 3 full machines running, just the individual loops plugin on a power-supply in a corner of the warehouse.

the only problem is that they will go in knowing they are going to destroy multiple components and will have to probably get thrown out when the test is done.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

21 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

the only problem is that they will go in knowing they are going to destroy multiple components and will have to probably get thrown out when the test is done.

Destroying thing is linus's job, soooooo

They could use some old pentium 4 machines, nobody'd give a shit lol

20 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

Maybe they can get EKWB to sponsor it by sending the parts.

Nothing to see here, move along

They already have three machines running 24/7 on air. I do doubt they would care about this enough to do that though.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Also, unlike the case off the air cooling experiments, this problem is just as easily solved by asking anyone with an aluminium loop in one year's time. The only reason they are doing the one year air project is because A. its more relevant and B. its more subject to environment and you can't get three objective readings from one environment on that sort of thing. 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Full Room WC part 2?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/18/2017 at 6:24 PM, RogerAdans said:

~snip~

I don't really understand why this is needed? It's not as if there's not already tons of research on galvanic corrosion.

If you were going to do something interesting like testing a water-cooler with a sacrificial anode to protect a mixed metal loop or something I might be able to see the benefit, but it isn't that hard to figure out that the aluminum loop by itself would be fine, the mixed metal loop would degrade, and the aluminum block in a copper loop would degrade a bit faster.

Nice idea, but i doubt linus and them would do this when EK is pushing their new box set so hard.

it would be no different from snubbing that company.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Nice idea, but i doubt linus and them would do this when EK is pushing their new box set so hard.

it would be no different from snubbing that company.

How so? The EK kit is full Aluminium so no galvanic corrosion will occur. By doing this how will they be snubbing EK at all?

7 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

but it isn't that hard to figure out that the aluminum loop by itself would be fine, the mixed metal loop would degrade, and the aluminum block in a copper loop would degrade a bit faster

I think his point would be to see how long it takes.

2 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

I think his point would be to see how long it takes.

Yeah but it's an analog chemical process. Irreversible damage starts as soon as you start running a mixed metal loop and metal ions start entering in your liquid.

The rate of performance degredation and time before a catastrophic failure will vary quite substantially between different fluids and different components, especially among different water blocks where the internal microchannels will degrade at different rates.

The answer to how long you can safely run a mixed metal loop is simple. "Just don't do it."

It's like asking "How many flights of carpeted stairs can I drop my laptop down before it breaks?", the answer is probably more than one but even after one there's going to be shock damage to your hard drive, so just don't drop your laptop down stairs.