Best for video encoding??? To twitch

So I have a 2nd computer and it has a gtx 960 and a i5 4460

what would be better for encoding the video to twitch and by how much?

anything would help thanks guys and gals and attack helicopters 

4 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

So I have a 2nd computer and it has a gtx 960 and a i5 4460

what would be better for encoding the video to twitch and by how much?

anything would help thanks guys and gals and attack helicopters 

Use X264 encoding. Fast preset. might use up almost all of the CPU, but it will look good. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Is the question would the 2nd pc be better than doing both on your main? Yes.

As said above use X264 for best quality using fast or very fast preset. Computer will be useless for anything but your stream will look far better than if you had used quicksync or hardware encoding on the gpu.

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

Test both, use the setup that works better for you. Then nothing is subjective and you've got a definitive answer.

Could I use both???? For encoding on obs or should I use xsplit 

i want 7700k 1080ti corsair dream machine running games and don't want to take a performance hit trying to encoding my main

Also my wife wants to join our streams together and joint stream it should look interesting

it using both gpu and CPU for video encoding would get the best of both worlds but how could I do that

6 minutes ago, StripperGrandpa said:

Could I use both???? For encoding on obs or should I use xsplit

No idea, I'm sure youtube would have a guide or something. I don't stream and the only thing close was when I still worked in a broadcast and well that was mostly analog and I only dealt with sound (I'm not even that old, tell you how out of date tech in Australia tends to be)

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

To play on one pc and do the streaming with another, you'd have to capture the output of the first pc with a capture card.

An example of an expensive but very high quality capture card would be this: https://www.epiphan.com/products/avio-hd/

To play and stream with same pc you have lots of options

You can encode using hardware encoders built into the video card which means your processor will be free to be used for games but the downside is that the video quality won't be quite as good as using cpu and software to encode the video

Software encoding would use cpu and with a 7700k with only 4 cores it may not be a good idea. If you'd go with a ryzen 1700 or higher (or just overclock the 1700 to 1800/1800x levels) you'd have 8 cores and 16 threads to work with so even after the software encoder reserves a few cores for its needs, theres stlll gonna be enough cpu for games

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

To play on one pc and do the streaming with another, you'd have to capture the output of the first pc with a capture card.

An example of an expensive but very high quality capture card would be this: https://www.epiphan.com/products/avio-hd/

To play and stream with same pc you have lots of options

You can encode using hardware encoders built into the video card which means your processor will be free to be used for games but the downside is that the video quality won't be quite as good as using cpu and software to encode the video

Software encoding would use cpu and with a 7700k with only 4 cores it may not be a good idea. If you'd go with a ryzen 1700 or higher (or just overclock the 1700 to 1800/1800x levels) you'd have 8 cores and 16 threads to work with so even after the software encoder reserves a few cores for its needs, theres stlll gonna be enough cpu for games

I have captur cards it's no issue the question is can I use both my CPU and my gpu In my 2nd computer to encode for obs to twitch 

No, you can't.

OBS will encode the video part either using only that graphics card (if the card is modern or powerful enough) or only your processor.

You can configure it to use the video card to encode  the stream which goes to Twitch and to use the processor to save an archive version on your hard disk (if for example you'd want to cut segments or edit or whatever and upload to youtube or other sites)

The audio part will pretty much always be encoded using the processor (but it's so fast and uses so little processor it can be ignored)

edit: since it looks like you're not knowledgeable , some capture cards take the output from your video card and compress it in real time to some format and then send it to the PC, and the driver of the capture card then decode everything and the OBS or Xplit would recompress the capture again.. \

If your capture card is one of these cheap ones which don't give you the RAW bits coming from the video card, then you'd get no quality benefit, you may just as well stream directly from the original computer using the video card's hardware encoder.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

No, you can't.

OBS will encode the video part either using only that graphics card (if the card is modern or powerful enough) or only your processor.

You can configure it to use the video card to encode  the stream which goes to Twitch and to use the processor to save an archive version on your hard disk (if for example you'd want to cut segments or edit or whatever and upload to youtube or other sites)

The audio part will pretty much always be encoded using the processor (but it's so fast and uses so little processor it can be ignored)

edit: since it looks like you're not knowledgeable , some capture cards take the output from your video card and compress it in real time to some format and then send it to the PC, and the driver of the capture card then decode everything and the OBS or Xplit would recompress the capture again.. \

If your capture card is one of these cheap ones which don't give you the RAW bits coming from the video card, then you'd get no quality benefit, you may just as well stream directly from the original computer using the video card's hardware encoder.

I actually plan on using OBD NDI to stream to the secondary computer... more "cost effective" 

maybe I'm on the wrong forums. And should ask people that are more inclined to help people and actually understand what's being asked.  Like maybe the twitch forums or OBS forums...

i have ave only ever done limited single pc streaming and have never had many issues but am tired of the performance hit fhat comes along with it.... especially in games that demand a lot out of a CPU (GTA5)

im unconcerned with the audio I plan to hook my blue yeti to the streaming machine and call it that... 

maybe you are on the wrong forum when this is an encoding question not a question about "how to stream"

but thanks for your input