Router unstable on download speed

Hi, I've been trying to figure out whats wrong with my wifi for about 2 weeks now. My internet subscription is 25 mbps.

Last week, I've been playing games like Dota 2 and CSGO and I'll start with 20-40 ping and it will go up like crazy until 400+ (500+ on CSGO). I check my speed test and I only getting about 15-17mbps sometimes it goes down till 13mbps. Before when I check my speedtest I normally get 26mbps. 1 mbps higher than what I'm supposed to get via Wifi but now its lower now. Ping is way higher than before too. sometimes I do speedtest and I'll get like 7-9 ping now I'm getting like 16-20 ping. upload speed doesn't have much changes.

It's unplayable so I decided to call my ISP (Lightspeed) for technical support. We power off both modem and router for 2 mins, open it up and check, still the same. We tried wired connection with the router, I still get the same result. When we tried to remove the router from the modem and did a wired connection (Modem doesn't have wifi) I got 8 ping, 26.75 mbps and 6.75 mbps upload speed with a stable graph once it reaches its peak. We tried getting the router back on  with wired connection and did a speedtest still the same as before but its a bit different. I got 14 ping, 19.54 mbps download and 6.47 upload. My ISP told me that he can't fix the issue with my router as it seems their modem is giving the right speed but not my router.

I decided to get a new one. Old router is asus N56U, new router is TP Link AC1750. So I run a speed test and I get 14-16 ping, 19-21mbps and still a stable upload speed. I played during the night I still get my ping goes up like crazy but it quickly goes down and the lag during playing is barely noticeable. The next day I tried playing during the afternoon and my ping goes back to what it is. After losing again because I just can't play, I check my speed test and it was at 18 ping 14mbps and same upload speed. This is giving me headache. I don't have this problem before. I don't know how to fix the issue. I'm also quite close to the router and the microwave is far away from me and the router. Pls help. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. with the new router I also did try doing a wired connection and it is still the same.

CPU: i5-6600k | GPU: MSI Gaming X GeForce GTX 1070 | MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | RAM: 2x8GB Vengeance LPX 2400mhz

CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | PSU: EVGA Supernova Nex 650 G1 | Case: NZXT H440

Make sure the firmware is 100% up to date on the router. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ask for a new modem. If you are renting they will likely give you another refurb unit.

What provider are you with?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Also, if this is happening during peak times, make sure others are not using the internet as well. This can suck up bandwidth and cause you problems as well if there is not enough throughput available from your ISP on the connection. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

24 minutes ago, Mhist said:

It's unplayable so I decided to call my ISP (Lightspeed) for technical support.

1 minute ago, Jrock said:

Ask for a new modem. If you are renting they will likely give you another refurb unit.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Didnt see that. Thanks

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

Make sure the firmware is 100% up to date on the router. 

done that with the old router and also did on the new one. still didn't improve my speed test and gaming issues.

1 hour ago, Jrock said:

they don't have it for rent. I'm not to sure if I can go and ask them for a new one as when we did the test on the modem with wired connection it was giving the right internet speed.

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

Also, if this is happening during peak times, make sure others are not using the internet as well. This can suck up bandwidth and cause you problems as well if there is not enough throughput available from your ISP on the connection. 

I'm basically the only one using the internet at home when I'm here as me and my roommate really is in different shifts. We don't even see each other. and he also has the same issue. we both are trying to figure out what's been wrong with the internet. We don't have this kind of issue before even during peak hours. I play games during the afternoon til night time, he plays during midnight and til morning and we both don't have any issues of ping latency being unstable.

CPU: i5-6600k | GPU: MSI Gaming X GeForce GTX 1070 | MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | RAM: 2x8GB Vengeance LPX 2400mhz

CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | PSU: EVGA Supernova Nex 650 G1 | Case: NZXT H440

If you both are having the same problems with the router wired and wireless and no specific issues are being found, try factory resetting the router and test it at 100% factory defaults. Then try setting things back up how you would set your network up and see if you can pin point if there is a configuration problem with the router. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

26 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

If you both are having the same problems with the router wired and wireless and no specific issues are being found, try factory resetting the router and test it at 100% factory defaults. Then try setting things back up how you would set your network up and see if you can pin point if there is a configuration problem with the router. 

Done that also. Tried that when we change the router. Didn't config anything and did a speed test still the same results. I'm out of idea already how to fix this problem of ours.

Did you outright buy the modem? If so you're probably fucked. They may offer a repair for $$$ ask to have a tech out to diagnose the issue.

8 hours ago, Jrock said:

Did you outright buy the modem? If so you're probably fucked. They may offer a repair for $$$ ask to have a tech out to diagnose the issue.

Can you go and call their tech support and ask a tech out to diagnose the issue? Damn. I'm getting headaches just trying to figure out what went wrong with our internet.