Microsoft Surface Pro series facing heavy throttling issues

17 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

heh, don't they show the i7 model as a 3D work 2in1 laptop? I remember they did with the Surface Pro 4 and 3, which means this sucker will go to that level of performance often if you choose to do what they advertise it for...

I remember the old Pro 4 had a fairly low thermal throttling point that could be tricked to increase if you pointed a fan at a certain place on the Pro 4, because it took body temps into consideration, I wonder if this is still the case or if they go 100% of CPU temps now.

They meant to show that the system is not a shitty Windows tablet, but not a gaming or 3D rendering machine. I mean it is Intel integrated graphics and dual Core CPU.. won't go far. Even on stage the 3D demo was not the smoothest thing ever. As for gaming, they showed a low demanding game, which would not run properly (not even 30fps) on a crap system. But runs ok on Microsoft device.

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

They meant to show that the system is not a shitty Windows tablet, but not a gaming or 3D rendering machine. I mean it is Intel integrated graphics and dual Core CPU.. won't go far. Even on stage the 3D demo was not the smoothest thing ever. As for gaming, they showed a low demanding game, which would not run properly (not even 30fps) on a crap system. But runs ok on Microsoft device.

I remember them showing on their website when you buy an SP4 that if you wanted to use Autocad and such then you should go for the i7 with iris. 

I even just found it. They actually promoted their SP4 as a 3D modeling machine, kek. They say Run power-intensive software with ease, kek and ofc they even list premier pro CC3, visual studio and AutoCad... I also remember them saying that they designed the SP4 using SP3's. Poor engineers that had to work with a dual core laptop with poor cooling.

They even talk about the i5 as a somewhat powerful laptop. Make music in professional-grade apps and photo editing. 

Spoiler

fba52cba0470ed4bf9ed97b67e1e0c2f.png.cb1835b9975dc4f868f2c10a584c3dd5.png

So I think it is safe to say that in Microsoft's eyes the SP i7 models are made to run those type of programs "well", which we all know they can't unless you do some really really basic stuff in them.

Oh god thanks for this thread to remind of how delusional Microsoft is when it comes to their laptops/2in1's. Don't get me wrong they are nice 2in1's and maybe even the best 2in1's, BUT they also have quite a few problems.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Ah, interesting... so a bit of a mix message, because it doesn't correlate with the message given after the presentation.

I guess the marketing team got overexcited. But it is what it is. And that is not accurate. While technically not false information, it is stretching the truth. I guess it might hold a student project or something small, as Intel chip can handle that these days.. nothing complex however.

4 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Completely agree with you on this. 

90% of the time the machine is fine. And 90% of the user won't push their device as hard as "running a benchmark for an hour". So our product is probably fine. :)  

I am not saying that they are wrong, but for tech enthusiasts, knowing that you are using a device that thermal throttles is un acceptable. But for most users, its fine. 

123.jpg.b367c051c95a58e11c1bf1a5c8feee6d.jpg

Tech enthusiasts would rarely pay as much for the hardware included here and would instead get a chunky laptop with desktop CPU and GPU chips.

It remains to be seen if things like the new Asus thingie that opens up can have staying power but even then Max Q would probably never make it to a device this small yet a 1070 Max Q could eventually make it to a 1500ish MSRP laptop.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Tech enthusiasts would rarely pay as much for the hardware included here and would instead get a chunky laptop with desktop CPU and GPU chips.

I think most of us prefer the old custom made desktop because how much power you can actually give your desktop and how much money we can save. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

I think most of us prefer the old custom made desktop because how much power you can actually give your desktop and how much money we can save. 

Goes without saying but if you need a laptop and you're paying as much as you'd pay for a laptop with at least a 1060 then why wouldn't you get that? Even if you want something very portable you would still save some cash going for say an XPS.

This particular form factor is really specialized to people that want not only something very portable but something that's portable to the point of going beyond practicality and becoming a fashion statement. Not much overlap with those folk and people who would also use Cinebench and also wouldn't have a powerful desktop waiting to do just that.

That leaves guys like Linus or MKBHD that somehow become trapped in an airport due to bad weather and want to fuck around with this thing just cause. Most other people who own the surface wouldn't run into throttling. But well I think we almost agree so this post is more me typing some stuff out loud, not really looking to argue here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Linus or MKBHD

Those guys can get pretty much whatever they want. They are rich. They are not us that's ofr sure.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.