PCI-E Cables connected to each other?

BlackMirror
Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,
1 minute ago, BlackMirror said:

But that loop, it looks horrible! :D

No seriously, I have never seen something like that so your casual tone surprises me.

It's quite common to have 2 6+2's come off of one cable.

Hello!

I am very sorry for the very vague title but I don't exactly know how to explain this and because this is not my first build and I have never seen this its driving me insane.

Basically I tried to connect my GPU (EVGA GTX 1080TI) with my PSU (Corsair RM650i fully modular) via 2x PCI-E 8 Pins (2x 6pins+2pins), this is the GPU input, connected to one string (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2139363/properely-pcie-connector-pitcure.html). When connected it forms a loop where both string inputs are connected to each other, as seen in the picture, and it looks weird and it looks like it would short circuit.

Is this correct? Or do I need another one of these weird Corsair PCI-E Cables with 2 strings and just leave 1 string of each loose while connecting the other 2?

I am aware that this may sound confusing -I hope it does not- but I have no idea what to do, since in the past I have just dealt with simple 1 string PCI-E cables.

Thank you so much for your help to clear up the confusion and preventing me from possibly short-circuiting my system :D !

Photo on 16-07-2017 at 01.10.jpg

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

Perfectly fine like that.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Perfectly fine like that.

No seriously, I have never seen something like that so your casual tone surprises me.

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

1 minute ago, BlackMirror said:

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Ok thank you for clearing that up! I was definitely overreacting then ^^

It's fine, but it would be better if you use two separate strings of pci-e connectors.

This way, because you're carrying a lot of current through those wires between the video card and the power supply, those wires will heat more and - if the power supply is modular - the connector on the power supply will heat as well.

By having more wires between the power supply and the video card, the current through each wire will be less so the connectors on the power supply will be less "stressed" and the wires will not get so warm.

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's fine, but it would be better if you use two separate strings of pci-e connectors.

This way, because you're carrying a lot of current through those wires between the video card and the power supply, those wires will heat more and - if the power supply is modular - the connector on the power supply will heat as well.

By having more wires between the power supply and the video card, the current through each wire will be less so the connectors on the power supply will be less "stressed" and the wires will not get so warm.

Thank you for your answer!

If I were to use 2 separate ones of this kind will it matter which string I use e.g. only the one closer to the original string, since they are both connected (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2139363/properely-pcie-connector-pitcure.html), or can I still use the one further away? I am asking for cable management reasons.

It doesn't matter which connector you use, or which strings you use.

I just said there's a difference for the better if there's more individual wires between the power supply and the video card (so two strings with connectors at the end) compared to using just one string and both connectors on that string).

But everything will be just fine even with one single string