I'm planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU for gaming purposes.

However i'm hearing good things about the Pentium g4560, and i'm now caught in a dillema.

I want to buy the 6600k as i know it will perform well along with a Gtx 1050 2Gb however the pricetag is rather big compared to the g4560, and i don't want to buy the 6600k and find out the g4560 can run at practically the same fps as the 6600k.

So i guess my question is, will the 6600k blow the 4560 out of the water in terms of performance( Along with its pricetag :/ ) or should i just have faith in the CPU budget king?

For reference the titles i would be looking to play are DayZ Arma III Black ops II Battlefield I Etc. at high settings at 60fps. 

Thanks in advance.

The 6600K is not worth it, get a Ryzen 5 1400 or 1600. If you have to get an Intel CPU get an i7 7700 (with a B250 board)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Single core performance is indeed good for this price point. But yeah if you play on doing otehr stuff like after effect d3smax and/or use programs which really need the multi thread performance, well then not buy this one but another processor instead. But yeah, you can always try this one and later on sell it and upgrade if you want so, jusy try it?

For gaming this cpu will be OK I guess, since most games really profit from single thread performance, but newer game engines also use multi threads If I'm not wrong.

In 1080p, yup. 

If you have have an intel MOBO already and aren't looking to start over with the aforementioned ryzen4, then the 4560 works just fine.  I had a g4400 in a z170 for a while doing some troubleshooting and I was surprised how well it kept pace with a GTX970, which is in the ball park of the 1050 when it comes to performance.  The 4400 has no hyperthreading, so a 4560 will be good.

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 6600K is not worth it, get a Ryzen 5 1400 or 1600. If you have to get an Intel CPU get an i7 7700 (with a B250 board)

I'm currently on an AMD x4 750k and looking to switch, and as for the g4560 its a no then? and i dont really have a big enough budget to surpass the 6600k, other than buying a 4690k second hand. 

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

In 1080p, yup. 

If you have have an intel MOBO already and aren't looking to start over with the aforementioned ryzen4, then the 4560 works just fine.  I had a g4400 in a z170 for a while doing some troubleshooting and I was surprised how well it kept pace with a GTX970, which is in the ball park of the 1050 when it comes to performance.  The 4400 has no hyperthreading, so a 4560 will be good.

Thank you for the input, puts my mind at ease a bit xD

3 minutes ago, EsXi said:

Single core performance is indeed good for this price point. But yeah if you play on doing otehr stuff like after effect d3smax and/or use programs which really need the multi thread performance, well then not buy this one but another processor instead. But yeah, you can always try this one and later on sell it and upgrade if you want so, jusy try it? 

I might but the thing is the second i open that box the price goes down immediately and at €70 it wouldn't even be worth reselling online as the cost of shipping and hassle on top of all things.

2 minutes ago, CMcC55 said:

I'm currently on an AMD x4 750k and looking to switch, and as for the g4560 its a no then? and i dont really have a big enough budget to surpass the 6600k, other than buying a 4690k second hand. 

Yeah, but if you get the 6600K you also have to get a Z170/Z270 board and a cooler, the i7 7700 comes with a cooler and you can use it with a cheap B250 board. 

Although, I wouldn't recommend the 7700 over the Ryzen 5 1600, the 1600 costs $230, it comes with a stock cooler which is good enough for moderate overclocking and you can overclock it using a cheap B350 board :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah well right that's kinda true. I've just checked it out, 2200 single and 9900 multi around those benchmark scores. So for 60% more money you will have a shit load more performance. But the question is, will OP be able to spend this kind of money? A g4560 will do the job too, but I'm sure if you spend a few more bucks that you can enjoy your AMD cpu for much longer because it's a lot faster.

Just now, EsXi said:

Yeah well right that's kinda true. I've just checked it out, 2200 single and 9900 multi around those benchmark scores. So for 60% more money you will have a shit load more performance. But the question is, will OP be able to spend this kind of money? A g4560 will do the job too, but I'm sure if you spend a few more bucks that you can enjoy your AMD cpu for much longer because it's a lot faster.

I was mostly talking about the 6600K ;) 

If the OP doesn't have enough money to buy the 1600, the G4560 will be fine, but if he wants to get an i5, Ryzen is a MUCH better option.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, but if you get the 6600K you also have to get a Z170/Z270 board and a cooler, the i7 7700 comes with a cooler and you can use it with a cheap B250 board. 

Although, I wouldn't recommend the 7700 over the Ryzen 5 1600, the 1600 costs $230, it comes with a decent stock cooler which is good enough for moderate overclocking and you can overclock it using a cheap B350 board :D

But you see although that then sounds like a good idea the problem now arises that the cpu will completely bottleneck the Gpu, never thought picking parts would be this fucking hard :S

8 minutes ago, CMcC55 said:

I might but the thing is the second i open that box the price goes down immediately and at €70 it wouldn't even be worth reselling online as the cost of shipping and hassle on top of all things.

If you really want to do a budget gaming system and you don't mind buying a used mainboard and processor, a x5650 costs around 18 euro's online !

The most expensive part would only be the mainboard. Those sell for around 80 - 90 bucks. And here's a video of what it can do.

For it's age but at least for the price now it is really nice imho. I have a x5675 myself with a AMD 7970.

Just now, CMcC55 said:

But you see although that then sounds like a good idea the problem now arises that the cpu will completely bottleneck the Gpu, never thought picking parts would be this fucking hard :S

The CPU will not bottleneck the GPU :P  If you mean that the GPU will bottleneck the CPU, don't worry about it.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I was mostly talking about the 6600K ;) 

If the OP doesn't have enough money to buy the 1600, the G4560 will be fine, but if he wants to get an i5, Ryzen is a MUCH better option.

Never thought id see the day where an amd finally out performs a somewhat decent i5 I'll see what im left with when the paycheck comes around and ill let that decide. i'll take a further look into ryzen in the mean time

3 minutes ago, EsXi said:

If you really want to do a budget gaming system and you don't mind buying a used mainboard and processor, a x5650 costs around 18 euro's online.

The most expensive part would only be the mainboard. Those sell for around 80 - 90 bucks. And here's a video of what it can do.

For it's age but at least for the price now it is really nice imho. I have a x5675 myself with a AMD 7970.

I can never understand why xeon processors are so cheap, even though they are server processors they can quite clearly run remarkably well.

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The CPU will not bottleneck the GPU :P  If you mean that the GPU will bottleneck the CPU, don't worry about it.

So the i7 7700 wouldnt bottleneck a 1050 stock?

5 minutes ago, CMcC55 said:

I can never understand why xeon processors are so cheap, even though they are server processors they can quite clearly run remarkably well.

Why? This is a really easy to answer question. Lots of companies that have those servers upgraded to newer servers. Lots of servers are sold or recycled after 5 years.

Those cpu's sell cheap because there's a really tiny market for them, consumer mainboards often don't like em and you have to add the micro code to the bios or mod the bios (like on those old 775 board, you have to pin mod the cpu for the 771 chip, and patch the bios (add micro code). With those 1366 chips it's a bit easier, no pin mod has to be done. Just maybe in the worst case a bios patch. Those chips just work great, for a little tiny price, because only for those who have a board that accept them will buy them (really only the geeks like us).

1 minute ago, EsXi said:

Why? This is a really easy to answer question. Lots of companies that have those servers upgraded and old servers are sold or whatever. Lots of servers are sold or recycled after 5 years.

Those cpu's sell cheap because there's a really tiny market for them, consumer mainboards often don't like em and you have to add the micro code to the bios or mod the bios (like on those old 775 board, you have to pin mod the cpu, and patch the bios (add micro code). Wit those 1366 chips it's a bit easier, no pin mod has to be done. Just maybe in the worst case a bios patch. Those chips just work great, for a little tiny price, because only for those who have a board that accept them will buy them.

I see, Unfortunately i've never looked deep into the background of server cpus nor took an interest in them at all tbh, Makes sense now that youve said it, i'll look into it, thanks for the advice.

Just now, CMcC55 said:

I see, Unfortunately i've never looked deep into the background of server cpus nor took an interest in them at all tbh, Makes sense now that youve said it, i'll look into it, thanks for the advice.

Sure no problem. Btw if you wonder what kind of system I use? Here's my setup. I like it, and yeah I don't really play games that often anymore (mostly I run a hypervisor on it) so the xeon serves it's purpose really good. But it plays games better now too. I had a i7 930 before running at 4ghz aswell.

8 minutes ago, CMcC55 said:

So the i7 7700 wouldnt bottleneck a 1050 stock?

LOL, of course not :P

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

LOL, of course not :P

If he looked at the benchmark scores, indeed not. 7700 is not a bad chip at all but yeah falls totally apart if you are willing to make a budget gaming system I guess.