12" laptop for college... with HD screen?

10 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

You wrote thonkpad 2 times, is that intentional?

Thonkpad is thinkpad, it's a bad joke, I would've thought you got it 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Emzijs said:

Probably a troll. But yeah, If you want a 12" notebook - you need to sacrifice some things like gaming, high-res display and beefy GPU. Since I have a decent desktop PC for games and Lightroom, ThinkPad does everything I need from laptop - MS Office, web browsing and general consuming.

Alright then. Let's talk bigger boys: The Latitude e6540 and e6440. The differences from what I know are that the e6440 has a 14" screen, less powerful dedicated GPU and... that's it from what I can tell.

The e6540 is bigger, has a 15" screen, a pretty powerful dedicated GPU and more rigid display construction (the e6440 can flex a lot).

Both are pretty big by themselves, however I am still thinking that I would have them in my backpack and use them on a table in a class, not on my lap really.

My father still uses a e6540 which he got from work and from what I can see it is a very beautiful machine. It is pretty chunky though, but the 6440 is only a bit smaller, not thinner.

Both have swappable batteries, they both have the swappable CD-ROM tray that can be swapped out with a 2.5" HDD enclosure, another 45Wh battery or with 2 USB 3.0 ports.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Thonkpad is thinkpad, it's a bad joke, I would've thought you got it 

I know, but I don't see why a "Thonk" pad...

1 minute ago, Laggger164 said:

I know, but I don't see why a "Thonk" pad...

Too much discord. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

40 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Alright then. Let's talk bigger boys: The Latitude e6540 and e6440. The differences from what I know are that the e6440 has a 14" screen, less powerful dedicated GPU and... that's it from what I can tell.

The e6540 is bigger, has a 15" screen, a pretty powerful dedicated GPU and more rigid display construction (the e6440 can flex a lot).

Then pretty much you're decided. Choose one or the other, depends on how big screen you want. Latitude are very good laptops and if you want Dell, that's fine.

Wow, guys I just found this video: 

What the hell are you doing Dell? You found 1 weakness and promote your laptop this way?

X230 IMO, they are still beast little machines.

If you configure them right they still mop the floor with machines being produced today around the same price point, or even more expensive.

--

If your willing to go with a 14" machine a T430 will dominate all machines under $500 and in some cases they can still mop the floor with machines that are in the 1-2k range.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

On 19. 7. 2017 at 6:58 PM, Icuw1pc said:

X230 IMO, they are still beast little machines.

If you configure them right they still mop the floor with machines being produced today around the same price point, or even more expensive.

--

If your willing to go with a 14" machine a T430 will dominate all machines under $500 and in some cases they can still mop the floor with machines that are in the 1-2k range.

Thinkpads FTW!

If I asked you how different are thinkpads and let's say Dell Latitudes, what would you say?

On 7/21/2017 at 2:31 AM, Laggger164 said:

Thinkpads FTW!

If I asked you how different are thinkpads and let's say Dell Latitudes, what would you say?

Honestly there isn't too much, but the xx20 series keyboard is far superior to anything Dell has ever produced. I also really like the build quality, it's hard to beat the durability of the xx30 series laptop ( lower gens are even better). The only laptop I feel actually has a chance to compete with Thinkpads are Elitebook's, I personally use an Elitebook 8570w as my daily driver now. I love the build quality on these, the  body feels amazing and the typing experience honestly isn't  that bad.

It's got a 3940XM which performance wise outperforms almost any 7th gen i7 in the Thinkpad line and for that fact almost any other mobile 7th gen i7. It has more than enough memory, I've got 32gb of DDR3 ram ( Corsair Vengeance). Along with all of this I have 3TB's of SSD storage ( 3 Samsung 850 series drives) and a AMD FirePro M4000 which does everything I need it to and some light gaming with a 1080p panel.

You could even get a nice Elitebook, they have some nice 12' laptops, the Probooks aren't bad but they aren't as nice IMO.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000