Should I upgrade to Ryzen NOW or Wait it Out?

I've been keeping a close eye on AMD's Ryzen platform for a while now, and I'm dead set on eventually upgrading to a Zen-based CPU. I'm also 90% sure I'm going to go for a 6-core cpu, likely the Ryzen 5 1600, because it strikes the best balance in terms of budget, productivity, and gaming for me personally.

So the real dilemma I'm facing right now is do I upgrade this summer, knowing that the platform is getting really close to being stable and that the next set of mainstream-enthusiast products won't land for about a year or so (Zen 2, Coffeelake etc.), or do I wait it out until late this year, either for further refinement of existing products or checking out new products?

I mean, my current desktop isn't reeeeaally dragging me down in ways that matter to me, but I'm really itchin' to upgrade while still trying to be sensible.

Input from current Ryzen owners would be especially useful, since I want to get a picture of what it's like to use Ryzen, and what issues you have to put up with right now.

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

5 minutes ago, RezidentSeagull said:

...mainstream-enthusiast products won't land for about a year or so (Zen 2, Covfefelake etc.),

I literally read that. 

Anyone else?

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

If your current rig runs fine and doesn't inihibit your experience, keep it the way it is. If it slows down, upgrade. easy ;)

Just now, YedZed said:

I literally read that. 

How dare you make me also read that now

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

Just now, RezidentSeagull said:

How dare you make me also read that now

The virus has spread- There is no turning back!

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Just now, honor said:

If your current rig runs fine and doesn't inihibit your experience, keep it the way it is. If it slows down, upgrade. easy ;)

Part of the problem for me is that my upgrade plans also include converting my current desktop into a home server for virtualization and file storage. So, I'm getting that addicting feel of wanting to upgrade so I can also get cracking with experimenting with server stuff... Still, you're probably right, it's not particularly critical for me to upgrade if the desktop is still managing well.

6 minutes ago, RezidentSeagull said:

-snip-

I'd say at least wait for the back-to-school or christmas deals before doing any of that. But it will eventually need to done. Just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

7 minutes ago, RezidentSeagull said:

Part of the problem for me is that my upgrade plans also include converting my current desktop into a home server for virtualization and file storage. So, I'm getting that addicting feel of wanting to upgrade so I can also get cracking with experimenting with server stuff... Still, you're probably right, it's not particularly critical for me to upgrade if the desktop is still managing well.

If virtualization is your goal, save up some more for a 1700 with 8 cores. More headroom :)

47 minutes ago, honor said:

If virtualization is your goal, save up some more for a 1700 with 8 cores. More headroom :)

Oh, I meant that the FX system in my sig would become my virtualization server. The Ryzen build would be almost entirely for fun and gaming (and Handbrake encoding every now and then)

5 minutes ago, RezidentSeagull said:

Oh, I meant that the FX system in my sig would become my virtualization server. The Ryzen build would be almost entirely for fun and gaming (and Handbrake encoding every now and then)

oh my bad haha then the 1600 is perfect. :)