EKWB A240 vs L360 vs CUSTOM

I'm I the process of building a new "in-desk" pc with a glass top. I'm currently using an old H100i, but it is dying (getting 40+ idle temps). I want to do my first "custom" loop. I will be cooling the cpu (4770k), and eventually the gpu once I upgrade it (after the launch of volta).

The new aluminum loop kit is SUBSTANTIAL savings over the copper variants, but I know with that savings I'll be sacrificing things as well. I've heard... mixed things about the pumps included in both copper and aluminum kits, but once you start going custom custom the price point jumps considerably again. I don't need any fans, however, I have plenty of noctua ones I plan to use and am going to pick up some LED ones as well for a push-pull setup.

These are my potential setups. You could possibly skip this part if you already know your opinion.

A240: 280mm radiator for intake, included 240mm radiator for outtake. 280mm aluminum radiator options are a little... shady, but I have options like this and this. Also, this one by thermaltake is more expensive, but is also made of aluminum if the others are bad.

Price: Kit ($160) + Radiator ($35-$70) = $195-$230

Pros: Kit = easy, entire price of ~200$ (wow!)

Cons: Cheap tubing, pump (?), all future upgrades must be aluminum, don't need the fans

L360: Included 360mm radiator for intake, 280mm radiator for outtake.

Price: Kit ($260) + 280mm radiator ($76) = $336

Pros: Kit = easy, 120mm more radiator surface area than the A240, better tubing, copper upgrades

Cons: Pump (?), >100$ more expensive than the A240, don't need the fans

Custom: This $123 or this $100 480mm radiator as intake. Does the 60mm vs 38mm thickness make much of a difference at this size? Then 280mm radiator ($76) as outtake. $164 for a D5 pump, and $125 for a cpu waterblock. And I STILL have to worry about tubing, fittings, etc.

Price: AT LEAST $465

Pros: Custom, awesome, great pump, 120mm more radiator surface area than the L360, 240mm more radiator surface area than the A240

Cons: PRICE

Just looking for peoples opinions. Price is definitely a factor at the moment, and I'm really just wondering if I can get away with an A240. If not, going with an L360 and upgrading the pump later is always an option as well. 

I would maybe get an a240g with gpu block and wait for EK to release their own aluminum rads in a little while.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

9 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I would maybe get an a240g with gpu block and wait for EK to release their own aluminum rads in a little while.

I don't want to buy a gpu block YET since I'm unsure what route I'll be taking with my gpu upgrade and I want to ensure compatibility.

At this point in time I'm REALLY wanting to go with the A240, I just want to make sure it's not going to bite me in the ass in a major way later down the line. Example: If they never released aluminum waterblocks for the new volta gpus.

If you are looking to expand the loop, I think it would be premature to invest in the aluminium series. Its a great kit if you are going to use it as is. I also wouldn't use the rather janky looking rads that come with the barbs pre-installed. Don't fall for false economy, perhaps consider spending a little bit more to save money in the long run.

Surface area > rad thickness. Thicker rads mean you need to run the fans faster to get sufficient flow, and so I prefer not-so-thick rads.

The DDC pump is respectable, but inferior to the D5, but I think its not a bad choice per se.

Obviously depends on your budget, but I think full custom is the way to go if you can dish the cash out. For instance, if you regret your purchase in future and want to upgrade to a D5, you should have just gone out with the top-of-the-range to begin with.

Or wait a year or so, and wait for the aluminium series to mature.

Thanks for all the inputs everyone! I THINK the route I'm going to take for now is the L360, since it is cost effective but it gives me the most upgradability in the future. Perhaps my situation will change in the next 2 weeks however.