need help with my home network setup. frequent disconnects.

Pachuca

hi, I have a coaxial modem I purchased from Verizon, however, it doesn't really have the wifi range that I need on it so I plugged in my dlink DIR-868L. I disabled the DHCP server option in the dlink router and changed it's IP address to be one increment higher on the 4th octet than the IP address on my verizon modem. I learned how to do this online, but I'm a noob at setting this all up and now I'm having frequent disconnects when I connect to the DIR-868L router. I don't have this problem if I connect to the verizon router. Is there something else I need to have done in order to ensure a continuous and stable connection? Why am I getting this disconnect? They last only a few seconds and the wifi reconnects, but this isn't what I wanted for my setup. 

Previously when I plugged in the DIR-868L router into the verizon router and left the DHCP enabled and the ip address as default I had no issues, but I wouldn't be able to access my verizon router when connected to the DIR-868L. Also I'm using VPN, but I have the same disconnect problem without VPN so I'm not sure if this is a factor or not. As I was writing this I disconnected right when I hit the submit button too and thankfully the site saved everything so I don't have to re-type it. 

Find out how to bridge your modem instead of relying on it for DHCP - let your router handle all your connections instead. You may also need to upgrade from your 868L if it's no longer up to the job of running the number of devices and range needed in your home. Usually I do not recommend routers with internal antenna in multi-level homes due to range issues between floors.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

21 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

hi, I have a coaxial modem I purchased from Verizon, however, it doesn't really have the wifi range that I need on it so I plugged in my dlink DIR-868L. I disabled the DHCP server option in the dlink router and changed it's IP address to be one increment higher on the 4th octet than the IP address on my verizon modem. I learned how to do this online, but I'm a noob at setting this all up and now I'm having frequent disconnects when I connect to the DIR-868L router. I don't have this problem if I connect to the verizon router. Is there something else I need to have done in order to ensure a continuous and stable connection? Why am I getting this disconnect? They last only a few seconds and the wifi reconnects, but this isn't what I wanted for my setup. 

Previously when I plugged in the DIR-868L router into the verizon router and left the DHCP enabled and the ip address as default I had no issues, but I wouldn't be able to access my verizon router when connected to the DIR-868L. Also I'm using VPN, but I have the same disconnect problem without VPN so I'm not sure if this is a factor or not. As I was writing this I disconnected right when I hit the submit button too and thankfully the site saved everything so I don't have to re-type it. 

8 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Find out how to bridge your modem instead of relying on it for DHCP - let your router handle all your connections instead. You may also need to upgrade from your 868L if it's no longer up to the job of running the number of devices and range needed in your home. Usually I do not recommend routers with internal antenna in multi-level homes due to range issues between floors.

If the OP has a Coax router from Verizon then he has fiber. Verizon is not a cable company, in fact they are a phone company. They offer DSL or Fiber. So the issue here is, the OP does not have a modem. The ONT where the fiber plugs in to is set to convert to Coax. This is due to the fact the OP most likely has TV service. The router they provide does something for the TV service. The OP could call Verizon to see if they can make the Ethernet port on the ONT active. Or they have to use things the way they have them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

I was reading about bridging the modems, but I'm not sure how to do this. Is it just a matter of enabling it as an option in the modem? Also the 868L has the usual ethernet ports and one port that says Internet. I would connect the modem with an ethernet cable directly into that port, but when I did this it wouldn't allow me to change the ip address. Idk if this makes a difference or why that port says internet on it and what makes it different from a regular ethernet port

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

If the OP has a Coax router from Verizon then he has fiber. Verizon is not a cable company, in fact they are a phone company. They offer DSL or Fiber. So the issue here is, the OP does not have a modem. The ONT where the fiber plugs in to is set to convert to Coax. This is due to the fact the OP most likely has TV service. The router they provide does something for the TV service. The OP could call Verizon to see if they can make the Ethernet port on the ONT active. Or they have to use things the way they have them. 

Good to know - this would be well out of my scope since proper fibre to the home is not an option in Canada unless you live in one of the ~6-7 major cities. :P 

Just now, Pachuca said:

I was reading about bridging the modems, but I'm not sure how to do this. Is it just a matter of enabling it as an option in the modem? Also the 868L has the usual ethernet ports and one port that says Internet. I would connect the modem with an ethernet cable directly into that port, but when I did this it wouldn't allow me to change the ip address. Idk if this makes a difference or why that port says internet on it and what makes it different from a regular ethernet port

If you are on Verizon fibre as @Donut417 suggested, I would now contact Verizon and ask them how best to setup your networking situation, since fibre is out of my scope.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

19 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Good to know - this would be well out of my scope since proper fibre to the home is not an option in Canada unless you live in one of the ~6-7 major cities. :P 

If you are on Verizon fibre as @Donut417 suggested, I would now contact Verizon and ask them how best to setup your networking situation, since fibre is out of my scope.

oh great, i've tried verizon before and they are awful. Most of them don't know how to help me and trying to get someone who does takes forever.