Low Profil Cooler for Core i7 920

Hi guys, 

i need your help. 

I wanna move my old gaming set up in a new Case (dont have a warehouse to store all my stuff ;)

Setup: 

Core i7 920

Asus P6t

My main Problem: At the moment i use some pretty big 'Alpenföhn' Cooler and i dont have enough clearance in the new case. 

Since the TDP of the old i7 is 130 Watts (not overclocked) i was wandering if u have some tips for me. 

I am searching for something like the NH-L12 but Nuctua writes on their Page u should only use them til 95 Watt.

Priority first would be aircooled. 

But i am also open to try some AIO Watercooling solutions ( i thought probably the Masterliquid pro 120 or 240).

i would really appreciate some input. 

(And i know - its an old system but its still working fine and i dont wanna trash it).

Thanks

Hans-Linus

@Abyssal Radon well to be honest i'm gonna use a servercase (4U) 

(i got 4 pc's and i wanna switch them all one by one on to a rack since that takes way less space compared to my setting now)
i guess i have a little under 100 mm space in total (but keep in mind if the cooler exhausts up that wouldnt be great with an servercase)

@JacobFW its a nice fallback plan - but i am not quite there to sacrifice some performance 

1 minute ago, Hans-Linus said:

@Abyssal Radon well to be honest i'm gonna use a servercase (4U) 

(i got 4 pc's and i wanna switch them all one by one on to a rack since that takes way less space compared to my setting now)
i guess i have a little under 100 mm space in total (but keep in mind if the cooler exhausts up that wouldnt be great with an servercase)

@JacobFW its a nice fallback plan - but i am not quite there to sacrifice some performance 

You honestly might be surprised.  Might I suggest before you make the switch, just disable hyperthreading for a few days, and see if you can tell the difference.  

I'm not trying to be smug about this.  I honestly don't know what your workload is and how much it benefits from hyperthreading.  It might be worth a couple of days of toying around without it if it makes the cooler decision alot simpler.

2 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

You honestly might be surprised.  Might I suggest before you make the switch, just disable hyperthreading for a few days, and see if you can tell the difference.  

I'm not trying to be smug about this.  I honestly don't know what your workload is and how much it benefits from hyperthreading.  It might be worth a couple of days of toying around without it if it makes the cooler decision alot simpler.

i will consider and try it ;)
thanks for the hint 

You could also consider swapping the 130W i7 for a 95W X5660 (~30€), 2 extra cores and some more headroom for the cooler.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W