Asus 1080

Pkai

Hello guys, i am building a Pc for my friend and the GPU is Asus Strix 1080. Should we get another brand or this GPU is good ? Thank you in advance.

Asus' GPUs are definitely some of the best. I have owned an Asus GTX 780 and currently i own an Asus Strix GTX 1070. I haven't had any problems with them. Just keep in mind that the Asus GTX 1080 is a pretty beefy GPU so check it's dimensions, otherwise they are quiet and run really cool so IMO - GET IT!

11 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

Asus' GPUs are definitely some of the best. I have owned an Asus GTX 780 and currently i own an Asus Strix GTX 1070. I haven't had any problems with them. Just keep in mind that the Asus GTX 1080 is a pretty beefy GPU so check it's dimensions, otherwise they are quiet and run really cool so IMO - GET IT!

Thank you mate ! But what do you mean to check its dimensions ?

10 minutes ago, Pkai said:

Check it's size to make sure it's compatible with your case. It's quite a long card. From Asus' site - 11.73 " Inch or 29.8 Centimeters long.

27 minutes ago, Pkai said:

also check the power supply you hae chosen for it see wether or not it is going to be enough watts.also what is the system meant for? maybe a 1080 is too much?(too pwoerfull)

57 minutes ago, Fisting Master said:

also check the power supply you hae chosen for it see wether or not it is going to be enough watts.also what is the system meant for? maybe a 1080 is too much?(too pwoerfull)

For Gaming. 

22 hours ago, Pkai said:

For Gaming. 

kind of too general if you want 1080p60fps gamign you can get away with a 470!(250$) if you want 4k yea sure go for it. But make sure his display can handle the resoluton as well

6 hours ago, Fisting Master said:

kind of too general if you want 1080p60fps gamign you can get away with a 470!(250$) if you want 4k yea sure go for it. But make sure his display can handle the resoluton as well

The screen is going to be a 1080P. BenQ XL2430T.

On 7/13/2017 at 0:00 AM, Pkai said:

The screen is going to be a 1080P. BenQ XL2430T.

Unless you are an enthusiast or plan on upgrading that. I dont think your 1080 will be able to show its full potential. The 1080p display is going to show 1080p at its max so eveb if you can play any higher than that the experience stays the same. Again if you are not going to go for 1440p or 4k the 1080 is nkt a wise choice. Most 200-300 gpus will do just fine unless you want the 1080 for show if you know what i mean

Asus Strix is not the quietest on the GTX 1080. Actually, one of the worser ones. Don't let the "Asus" Name on it blind you.

Pretty much the most quiet ones are:
Palit Jetstream / Gamerockn and Gainward Phoenix. They beat every. single. other. model. period.

Thanks to the huge 3-slot cooler.

Attention: do NOT get the "Dual" versions, with black cooler. They are not good..

Disadvantage: Not the biggest Powertarget (which means, if you NEED to overclock it untill the point of explosion, you might hit the maximum Powerlimit.

Take a Look into MSI Gaming X, which is also one of the best. Slightly worse cooler than Palit/Gainward, but only 2 Slots, HUGE Powerlimit (240 Watt, with a max of 291 Watt. Just for reference: Stock Powerlimit of a 1080 is 180 Watt) for max OC. Also, from reading a few GTX 1080 threads, the MSI Gaming (X) does have one of the weakest Coil-whines you might find. If you're sensible to that.

Asus Strix is okay, if the Price is right, or you want their Killerfeature: Plugging in 2 Case Fans, and letting them be regulated by the GPU Temperature (which can be achieved with Speedfan).

Otherweise, i dont know why you should take an Asus Strix over an MSI Gaming X, or Palit/Gainward.

Small data from PC Games Hardware, a big german Magazine:

Zotac AMP! Extreme: 1,7 Sone Loudness @ 75°C. Max Powerlimit =  325 Watt

Palit Gamerock/Gainward Phoenix: 1.5 Sone Loudness @ 71°C. Max Powerlimit =  240 Watt

MSI Gaming X: 2.3 Sone Loudness @ 74°C. Max Powerlimit = 291 Watt

EVGA FTW: 2.4 Sone Loudness @79°C. Max Powerlimit = 258 Watt

Asus Strix OC:  3.6 Sone Loudness @ 70°C. Max Powerlimit = 238 Watt (So yea... Max Powerlimit slightly lower, Noise MUCH louder than Gainward/Palit)

Gigabyte G1 Gaming: 4.1 Sone Loudness @ 73°C. Max Powerlimit = 216 Watt

TL;DR: Asus Strix is neither the best for OC (low Powerlimit), nor the quietest (quite Loud at stock settings). No reason whatsoever to prefer it.

Palit Gamerock / Jetstream, Gainward Phoenix, MSI Gaming, Zotac AMP Extreme are by far superior in every Aspect (except Design, which is subjective).

Is the Strix shit? Nope. But less good. Depending on what's important for you.^^

My Opinion: Only buy it, if it's cheaper than others.

Monitor: If you stick with 1080p @ 60 Hz, do NOT buy a GTX 1080. Way overboard.

GTX 1060 is perfectly fine, or RX 580~.

Mostly ultra for 60 fps lock.

Either you go for 1080p @ 144 Hz, 

or you get 1440p @ 60 Hz

Or even better: 1440p @ 144 Hz: Dell S2417dg &/ Acer Predator XB241YU.

Both Monitors offer much sharper 1440p @ 24" (yes, 1080p at 24" is pretty damn pixely... not pretty.), 144+ Hz, and G_Sync, which is GODLY for any gamer.

If you already have the Monitor, it's just fine.

A GTX 1080 is NOT overpowered for 1080p, if the Monitor has 144 Hz. Since the 1080 WILL struggle in many games, to hit 144 fps on Ultra. Ev en a 1080 ti would struggle there.

But yea... For keeping 144 fps, your CPU will be a bottleneck sooner, than your GPU, in many modern titles.

Btw: For 1080p displays, there is always DSR ;) Downsampling in 4k, looks quite nice on a 1080p screen. MUCH cleaner, than native 1080p. Comes quite close to native 4k.

But you won't hit 60 fps in most modern Games in 4k... 1080 is way too weak for that.

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Btw: For 1080p displays, there is always DSR ;) Downsampling in 4k, looks quite nice on a 1080p screen. MUCH cleaner, than native 1080p. Comes quite close to native 4k.

But you won't hit 60 fps in most modern Games in 4k... 1080 is way too weak for that.

i did not know that.but i agree that it would be a waste getting a powerfull gpu for a 1080p display. of course 4k displays are way more expensive than 1080p ones but if he wants to play games at 1080p60fps i dont see a reason why a 1080 is nessecary. i have a 470 and i play overwatch at 60fps in a 1080p display and thats like 200? 250$?

yea but overwatch runs on every potato... :P

I have a GTX 1080 now, and a 1440p 144 Hz screen.

When i started Ghost Recon Wildlands maxed out, it struggled to keep 50 fps, maybe a bit less. Didn't play with maxed settings, i reduced them when i saw it's not enough.

And that was just after Intro, not doing anything. ^^ So yea, future games might be more taxing than anything there is today. And a 1080 might struggle to keep 60 fps in 1080p.

But yea, he does have a 1080p screen, but it's a 144 Hz one^^ so it's fine.

14 hours ago, Fisting Master said:

Unless you are an enthusiast or plan on upgrading that. I dont think your 1080 will be able to show its full potential. The 1080p display is going to show 1080p at its max so eveb if you can play any higher than that the experience stays the same. Again if you are not going to go for 1440p or 4k the 1080 is nkt a wise choice. Most 200-300 gpus will do just fine unless you want the 1080 for show if you know what i mean

11 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Asus Strix is not the quietest on the GTX 1080. Actually, one of the worser ones. Don't let the "Asus" Name on it blind you.

Pretty much the most quiet ones are:
Palit Jetstream / Gamerockn and Gainward Phoenix. They beat every. single. other. model. period.

Thanks to the huge 3-slot cooler.

Attention: do NOT get the "Dual" versions, with black cooler. They are not good..

Disadvantage: Not the biggest Powertarget (which means, if you NEED to overclock it untill the point of explosion, you might hit the maximum Powerlimit.

Take a Look into MSI Gaming X, which is also one of the best. Slightly worse cooler than Palit/Gainward, but only 2 Slots, HUGE Powerlimit (240 Watt, with a max of 291 Watt. Just for reference: Stock Powerlimit of a 1080 is 180 Watt) for max OC. Also, from reading a few GTX 1080 threads, the MSI Gaming (X) does have one of the weakest Coil-whines you might find. If you're sensible to that.

Asus Strix is okay, if the Price is right, or you want their Killerfeature: Plugging in 2 Case Fans, and letting them be regulated by the GPU Temperature (which can be achieved with Speedfan).

Otherweise, i dont know why you should take an Asus Strix over an MSI Gaming X, or Palit/Gainward.

Small data from PC Games Hardware, a big german Magazine:

Zotac AMP! Extreme: 1,7 Sone Loudness @ 75°C. Max Powerlimit =  325 Watt

Palit Gamerock/Gainward Phoenix: 1.5 Sone Loudness @ 71°C. Max Powerlimit =  240 Watt

MSI Gaming X: 2.3 Sone Loudness @ 74°C. Max Powerlimit = 291 Watt

EVGA FTW: 2.4 Sone Loudness @79°C. Max Powerlimit = 258 Watt

Asus Strix OC:  3.6 Sone Loudness @ 70°C. Max Powerlimit = 238 Watt (So yea... Max Powerlimit slightly lower, Noise MUCH louder than Gainward/Palit)

Gigabyte G1 Gaming: 4.1 Sone Loudness @ 73°C. Max Powerlimit = 216 Watt

TL;DR: Asus Strix is neither the best for OC (low Powerlimit), nor the quietest (quite Loud at stock settings). No reason whatsoever to prefer it.

Palit Gamerock / Jetstream, Gainward Phoenix, MSI Gaming, Zotac AMP Extreme are by far superior in every Aspect (except Design, which is subjective).

Is the Strix shit? Nope. But less good. Depending on what's important for you.^^

My Opinion: Only buy it, if it's cheaper than others.

Monitor: If you stick with 1080p @ 60 Hz, do NOT buy a GTX 1080. Way overboard.

GTX 1060 is perfectly fine, or RX 580~.

Mostly ultra for 60 fps lock.

Either you go for 1080p @ 144 Hz, 

or you get 1440p @ 60 Hz

Or even better: 1440p @ 144 Hz: Dell S2417dg &/ Acer Predator XB241YU.

Both Monitors offer much sharper 1440p @ 24" (yes, 1080p at 24" is pretty damn pixely... not pretty.), 144+ Hz, and G_Sync, which is GODLY for any gamer.

If you already have the Monitor, it's just fine.

A GTX 1080 is NOT overpowered for 1080p, if the Monitor has 144 Hz. Since the 1080 WILL struggle in many games, to hit 144 fps on Ultra. Ev en a 1080 ti would struggle there.

But yea... For keeping 144 fps, your CPU will be a bottleneck sooner, than your GPU, in many modern titles.

Thank you very much guys. The screen is 144Hz. @Darkseth Nice info. there. Much appreciated and i will take the Msi Gaming X into consideration.