Buying a defective Graphics card for mining?

Hey guys, so i recently had to discover that Litecoin mining is inefficient on Nvidia graphics cards, so i went to find a cheap GPU on ebay.

Now i have found one, and the guy who sells it said, the image suddenly turned off but the fans are still spinning when he turns on his computer.

Do you guys think it's still functioning and just the video oputput died? should i buy it? :D

If so, could i uninstall my GTX 770, install the faulty 5970 + drivers, run my PC on the Integrated intel GPU and start mining? :D :D

Side question: It's a reference design 5970, was that a very loud/ power hungry card? My PSU is a Seasonic G 550W

who cares...

You can run the cards side by side with drivers for both cards so long as you get a 700W+ PSU. I am not sure about if the card would work though.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

dead card is a dead card.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You can run the cards side by side with drivers for both cards so long as you get a 700W+ PSU. I am not sure about if the card would work though.

Yeah, I'll not really invest much. With 150 € i could actually sell my 770 and get a 290. But i like my nvidia eco system and will move back to it when mining doesn't pay out anymore or i got bored. :D I can't really play any games atm anyways cuz university.

dead card is a dead card.

What if it's just the video output? Or something erlse that's minor. Maybe it still works with half efficiency but you can't see it.

who cares...

Yeah, I'll not really invest much. With 150 € i could actually sell my 770 and get a 290. But i like my nvidia eco system and will move back to it when mining doesn't pay out anymore or i got borded. :D I can't really play any games atm anyways cuz university.

What if it's just the video output?

it all depends how much it is i wouldnt spend more than 50$ on a dead card unless its titan (that would look great in a glass showcase)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

it all depends how much it is i wouldnt spend more than 50$ on a dead card unless its titan (that would look great in a glass showcase)

I'd go 20-30€ max. If it doesn't work i can still sell it or take it apart and wear the GPU ass a necklace. :D

who cares...

But the question is - to keep this thread in new content - can i run a GPU on full load for mining while using the integrated intel GPU for regular use?

who cares...

But the question is - to keep this thread in new content - can i run a GPU on full load for mining while using the integrated intel GPU for regular use?

yup i've done that before didnt noticed lag (HD4000 is quite good)

Why not put both gpu's in your system?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Why not put both gpu's in your system?

I heard that the nvidia drivers don't like the company from the red team and instantly stops some features.

The bigger problem is that my PSU has only 2 x 8/6-pin.

What a shame Seasonic! This PSU could supply two 770s. Maybe not. But two 760s for sure. Seasonic just estimates that nobody will SLI/Crossfire with that PSU. :D Way to go Seasonic.

who cares...

I heard that the nvidia drivers don't like the company from the red team and instantly stops some features.

Only Physx

The bigger problem is that my PSU has only 2 x 8/6-pin.

What a shame Seasonic! This PSU could supply two 770s. Maybe not. But two 760s for sure. Seasonic just estimates that nobody will SLI/Crossfire with that PSU. :D Way to go Seasonic.

They make adapters

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Only Physx

They make adapters

I like PhysX. :D

I could buy adapters, that's true. I might do that if my PSU can take the load. I's also have to buy some splitters or sth like that. because i have only one peripheral connector on my PSU left. :D

who cares...

You can mine with a defective card, I've tested this on a 5870 and I was getting typical hash rate for the 5870.

Ah, cool. In what way was that 5870 defective? Describe me how it passed out. But you were abled to find it in the BIOS and just run it?

who cares...

Ah, cool. In what way was that 5870 defective? Describe me how it passed out. But you were abled to find it in the BIOS and just run it?

It would give off a bunch of artifacts in the majority of games and once it starts mining the screen goes black, but the card continues to mine.

I'd go 20-30€ max. If it doesn't work i can still sell it or take it apart and wear the GPU ass a necklace. :D

You should be able to get a molex to 6-pin adapter.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

You should be able to get a molex to 6-pin adapter.

I think i have only one more cable. It's a 4 molex harness. It's the last connector on my PSU and i would have to use two molexes on the same harness to connect to two adapoter to pwoer one of the graphics card. Do you think that would work or is that too much power for one cable? I'll definitley consider sth.- like that if i get one of the defective cards i have found.

It would give off a bunch of artifacts in the majority of games and once it starts mining the screen goes black, but the card continues to mine.

@Levent

I wrote the guy who sells the 5970. He said it started to produce errors on the screen and strange stripes were occuring. At the end it was just producing stripes. Do you guys think it still works? I'd pretty optimistic tbh. :D

I also found a 6970 which is also defective. Pretty much the same story there. The card started to produce errors and then went completeley black. The fan is still working and ramping up and down.

who cares...

I think i have only one more cable. It's a 4 molex harness. It's the last connector on my PSU and i would have to use two molexes on the same harness to connect to two adapoter to pwoer one of the graphics card. Do you think that would work or is that too much power for one cable? I'll definitley consider sth.- like that if i get one of the defective cards i have found.

@Levent

I wrote the guy who sells the 5970. He said it started to produce errors on the screen and strange stripes were occuring. At the end it was just producing stripes. Do you guys think it still works? I'd pretty optimistic tbh. :D

I also found a 6970 which is also defective. Pretty much the same story there. The card started to produce errors and then went completeley black. The fan is still working and ramping up and down.

it sounds like defective vrams consider buying only IF card can output image, you can underclock vrams to the lowest and see if it works or ask seller to try it

it sounds like defective vrams consider buying only IF card can output image, you can underclock vrams to the lowest and see if it works or ask seller to try it

I actually don't want to help the seller trouble shooting. I am the one who wants it for low € :D

I also asked them to look if they can see it in the BIOS. They both ignored that question. I hope they didn't try that to find out that they can't so they didn't tell. :D

who cares...

Edit: Don't bother, i opened a new thread for it. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/81351-gpu-pcb-experts-needed-hd-6950/

@Levent

Sorry for warming this up again but here if have found a really nice deal.

It's a HD 6950 which is defective of crouse. The guy who sells it says that a micro chip fell off (see pictures) and since then it only produces stripes.

This looks like a really minor damage, doesn't it? It also doesn't look like there are a lot of lanes going to it. and it's on the edge of the pcb so it can't be that important. :D

post-31147-0-97945000-1385640227.jpg

post-31147-0-77915400-1385640228.jpg

who cares...

• 7 years later...
22 hours ago, iamJessica said:

If you haven't figured it out which graphic card you should go for mining crypto currency you should read some blogs and then choose the best graphics cards for mining crypto currency in 2021 nd beyond 

That 8 year response time though lol

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)