WD Green 4tb vs WD Red 4tb.

Panda of the Shadow

Which one should i get? I won't be running my pc 24/7 but i heard that Red's are faster and quieter. 

Thanks for helping me out.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/78985-western-digital-red-vs-green/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1644453/hdd-red-series-nas-green.html

Green - Eco friendly drives with design to be energy efficient and quiet. Designed to take advantage of non-use to lower power requirements.

Blue - The "standard" drive - reliability - great for desktop PC use.

Red - Most common use is for NAS - designed to be compatible with NAS enclosures, does not utilize any ECO friendly power reduction, as the drive was designed to run 24/7 in a network environment.

Black - This is the most reliable, highest performing drive in the series. For a consumer based drive, this is the best.

I am in a similar situation.

The main points of the Red drives are

-lower power

-less heat/noise.

-more raid friendly

-none of that head parking that makes the greens seem to lag after idle

Greens

-Cheaper

-Reviews seem to place the greens with better access times(the reds are tuned to stay more quiet.)

-If WDIDLE3 works, you can remove the head parking feature or at least reduce it to 5 minutes vs the standard 8 seconds.

Error: 410

They are pretty similar really. Both will sound about the same, the Reds are a little faster, and given their intended use they should be more reliable. With the Reds you'll get a longer warranty and free tech support.

They are pretty similar really. Both will sound about the same, the Reds are a little faster, and given their intended use they should be more reliable. With the Reds you'll get a longer warranty and free tech support.

So Red is the way to go?

So Green is the way to go?

idk, I edited, reread the post and decide what you want for yourself.

Error: 410

So Red is the way to go?

If you think the extra cost is worth it. You're not using it in a NAS so I'd say it probably isn't.

I don't know how anyone can recommend a drive for you yet. We don't know what you want to do with it.

Is this drive for your OS? Games? Media files?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't know how anyone can recommend a drive for you yet. We don't know what you want to do with it.

Is this drive for your OS? Games? Media files?

Media files and once my 2x 1 tb 840 evo's a filled up games. 

Media files and once my 2x 1 tb 840 evo's a filled up games. 

Green should be fine. Head parking is less of an issue than it used to be with some older drives, and reading media files/loading games off your drive won't cause much on/off activity.

If you really are concerned, then a Red drive would also work.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking