VMs vs Individual Machines

Yo whattup newb here, I was watching Linus's 7 gamers 1 CPU video and it got me thinking as I am just about to move into a new house and was planning out the server infrastructure. Is it more cost-effective to build a decent watercooled rig in the cupboard and run VMs on monitors and TVs around the house from it, or just give each room its own dedicated machine? Surely it would be more cost effective because if you spend money on a living room entertainment rig but don't use it half the time, while the rig in my room needs more RAM for league, more resources can be allocated to my VM and taken away from the living room VM, which would be impossible with two standalone builds. I think it would more time consuming as initial setup though, and I'm also afraid to have a single point of failure for every TV, workdesk monitor and NAS in the house. It's a bit risky to me. Am I along the right lines here or just completely overthinking it?

Cheers,

G.

I mean how many machines do you need, becuase linus's solution is hardly "cheap", its probley easier to do what i did, and find a few cheap pc's being sold (The ones i found were an i5 2500k pc and another one running on an amd 7870k, i stuck a 960 in the 2500k machine and that's now my gf's machine, and then i just use the 7870k machine as a media pc 

It is not cheaper when you factor in the cost of a thin client. Thin clients are crap to use. Get something like a sheild tv or chromecast for your living room. You can stream to those devices.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

I mean how many machines do you need, becuase linus's solution is hardly "cheap", its probley easier to do what i did, and find a few cheap pc's being sold (The ones i found were an i5 2500k pc and another one running on an amd 7870k, i stuck a 960 in the 2500k machine and that's now my gf's machine, and then i just use the 7870k machine as a media pc 

Ditto - while Linus's setup is cool and a nice proof of concept, it'll cost you. How many PC's do you need? I mean having a decked out gaming rig in your room and a small media PC in the living room is still going to cost you a lot less than what Linus did. 

Ryzen is pretty cool I guess

1 minute ago, lFaust said:

Ditto - while Linus's setup is cool and a nice proof of concept, it'll cost you. How many PC's do you need? I mean having a decked out gaming rig in your room and a small media PC in the living room is still going to cost you a lot less than what Linus did. 

That's a good point, tbh I thought Linus's 2 gamers rig could easily push out 3 or 4 VMs at the same time. I would have 4 but they would rarely be in use all at the same time. A decent watercooled PC is cheaper than 4 laptops

4 minutes ago, overthr0wn said:

That's a good point, tbh I thought Linus's 2 gamers rig could easily push out 3 or 4 VMs at the same time. I would have 4 but they would rarely be in use all at the same time. A decent watercooled PC is cheaper than 4 laptops

I might be reaching a bit here, but couldn't you also use Thunderbolt docks paired with monitors/peripherals like Linus did in his home setup? You'd have to somehow run cables from your PC to every room, but in theory it would be similar to what you intended to do initially, without having to deal with VMs and file syncing and stuff..

12 minutes ago, lFaust said:

I might be reaching a bit here, but couldn't you also use Thunderbolt docks paired with monitors/peripherals like Linus did in his home setup? You'd have to somehow run cables from your PC to every room, but in theory it would be similar to what you intended to do initially, without having to deal with VMs and file syncing and stuff..

I can't say I watched that one (as I said, newb here ?) could you link me in please?

29 minutes ago, overthr0wn said:

Personally a powerful server,  gaming desktop and cheap android TV or smart TV with built in function should be enough.  A good network, which allow you to stream games off server or the gaming desktop to other laptops/weaker system in your home. The server is overkill for most households, it would be easier to tell you which ones suit you better if you tell us your budget. 

Magical Pineapples

13 minutes ago, overthr0wn said:

I can't say I watched that one (as I said, newb here ?) could you link me in please?

This should be it, not sure if he made an update video but I can't really search rn because I'm technically at work :v)