Laptop Choice

Hey there,

I need some help with choosing my laptop. I've been looking through the internet for a few days now just looking at the options I have for a laptop. At the end my mind is mainly focused on the Razer Blade (2017 Edition, with the 1060 and Kaby Lake) and the MacBook Pro 13" (This one to be exact: https://www.scanmalta.com/newstore/computing/laptops/macbook/apple-macbook-pro-mpxw2b-a-13-space-grey-w-touch.html) . Both are able to carry out most task I plan on shooting at them, but as a gamer, the ability and freedom to be able to game on the go is a huge bonus! 
 I'm mostly leaning towards the razer, due the reason it has a 1060 inside it. My main concerns are the reliability and battery life. This laptop will not only be for my leisure and entertainment, but I'd like to use it for school. I'm taking a software development course and also some english literature on the side. For the school part I plan on writing essays, doing research and of course opening up the programs needed for my software development.

So how is the battery life in the new Razer Blade? (Cannot find accurate answers online)
(Preferred if I could get an answer such as Idle=X, Small Load such as web browsing=X, and Intensive Load=X)
X Being the hours it would last. 

Will it last me a few years (Without variables)?

For the MacBook, my main concern is the GPU in the MacBook, it just wont cope with the games I play. Though, I've heard great things about the reliability and the battery life (After the issue ofc), but as a gamer it's just not me to have a laptop that cannot game. Priority is school so if the Razer cannot cope with battery and such, Ill go with the Mac.

P.S Budget is around 2400 Euros. 

Thank you for taking your time reading my thread, and helping me out :)
Ryan,

I would go for the Razer Blade. That 1060 is just miles away from the MBP's intel HD graphics. The battery life in the Razer Blade would be considerably worse, given the GPU.

Here's an article link of the Blade's battery life: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/05/razer-blade-2017-review

Also, just curious, why not build a PC? 

9 hours ago, ChackoM said:

I would go for the Razer Blade. That 1060 is just miles away from the MBP's intel HD graphics. The battery life in the Razer Blade would be considerably worse, given the GPU.

Here's an article link of the Blade's battery life: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/05/razer-blade-2017-review

Also, just curious, why not build a PC? 

I've got a PC, that can run 90% of new games. I'm looking for a laptop that I will be able to use for school (compulsory), as I will be out and busy much more after this summer, so I'd like to be able to game on it. 

Also, "Razer says it should be good for about 5 hours of runtime." I've read lots of articles and the answers are all different. Most tend to give the battery life of gaming only and not just browsing the web, writing documents etc.. I've read it is around 7 hours but I don't trust the source completely. Are there ways of saving battery like disabling the GPU when not gaming? 

Thanks for the reply, Ryan.

Lol the Razer Blade is tier 1 garbage. @D2ultima @Dackzy. I'm at work can't link some bullshit that Razer does. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

this dude has problems with Razer not understanding that a laptop shouldn't hit 100c.

Then we have this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/5tr8wt/razer_ceo_covering_up_cheappoor_design_of_razer/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-ceo-covering-up-cheap-poor-design-of-razer-notebooks.801443/ 

The NBR and reddit is to the same story, but different comments

FYI this is just some of it

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Well with that budget you could get a MacBook Pro with the Radeon Pro 560 which is a pretty competant GPU that will be able to play some games pretty well (not at the native resolution obviously) and especially if you play in Windows with Bootcamp. 

My money is on the MacBook Pro tbh. It will give you better battery life which is most important part since you will be using it for school.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 hours ago, Ging06 said:
Hey there,

I need some help with choosing my laptop. I've been looking through the internet for a few days now just looking at the options I have for a laptop. At the end my mind is mainly focused on the Razer Blade (2017 Edition, with the 1060 and Kaby Lake) and the MacBook Pro 13"
P.S Budget is around 2400 Euros. 

Thank you for taking your time reading my thread, and helping me out :)
Ryan,

You should get the gigabyte aero 15 due to it having much better build quality than both of those, while providing a non tdp throttled 1060 (looking at you razer) and higher battery life than both as well. Getting it from here will also allow you to upgrade storage and get IC diamond (highly recommended) to get the most of out this machine. http://www.xoticpc.com/gigabyte-aero-15w-bk4.html?startcustomization=1

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

If I had to make that choice, I'd go with the MBP. Always been a windows person but razer is terrible and wouldn't trust my money with them.

At least apple understand how to make a solid product, even if some of their decisions are questionable.

Also look at the aero14/15

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Don't get the Razer.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

20 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well with that budget you could get a MacBook Pro with the Radeon Pro 560 which is a pretty competant GPU that will be able to play some games pretty well (not at the native resolution obviously) and especially if you play in Windows with Bootcamp. 

My money is on the MacBook Pro tbh. It will give you better battery life which is most important part since you will be using it for school.  

I looked at the MBP with the Radeon, but the bloody thing costs nearly 3.4k, way too much for me. 

Ill look at other laptops, thanks to all of you for opening my eyes on how trash the razer is before I invest so much money into it.

if you're spending that much money and want a portable machine capable of some gaming, the alienware 15 with 99whr battery but without the gsync screen (using intel IGP) can give you loads of battery life with tweaks. I too considered the razor blade in my short list but the price was way above alienware at the time. Alienware prices have changed though but i suggest getting the 1070 rather than 1080maxq (even though the 1080maxq is a little faster than the 1070 but the price doesnt justify it for alienware).

Although using gsync screen the battery life is still decent. The alienware 13 has a smaller battery but good OLED screen.

clevo and gigabyte aero are good choices too.