Is the outside portion of a USB port supposed to be connected to ground?

AttacksOnYaks
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Yeah, it's normal.

Hopefully a simple question, I just can't seem to put the right words into Google to get an answer. I recently built a secondary PC and got a little "carried away" with cable management. To make a long story short, I ripped the ground wire for the front-panel USB port out of its harness on the front-panel. I just finished soldering the ground wire back to the ground pin. While I was testing with my multi meter, I noticed something strange. The outer portion of the USB receptacle seems to be connected to the ground wire. It's kind of hard to explain, I've attached an image to show what I mean.

Is this normal or did I somehow cause a short? I just want to confirm that I'm not going to break any of my devices with the port.

usb port.jpg

Yeah, it's normal.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, AttacksOnYaks said:

Hopefully a simple question, I just can't seem to put the right words into Google to get an answer. I recently built a secondary PC and got a little "carried away" with cable management. To make a long story short, I ripped the ground wire for the front-panel USB port out of its harness on the front-panel. I just finished soldering the ground wire back to the ground pin. While I was testing with my multi meter, I noticed something strange. The outer portion of the USB receptacle seems to be connected to the ground wire. It's kind of hard to explain, I've attached an image to show what I mean.

Is this normal or did I somehow cause a short? I just want to confirm that I'm not going to break any of my devices with the port.

usb port.jpg

Yes that is common practice while not absolutely necessary some manufactures do wire the casing to ground also, you will also find this is sometimes be true on your cables. 

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah, it's normal.

Just now, W-L said:

Yes that is common practice while not absolutely necessary some manufactures do wire the casing to ground also, you will also find this is sometimes be true on your cables. 

Thanks, I figured as much. When I first tested the pin to the point I was going to solder the wire to, I could have sworn that it wasn't connected. Maybe my probe didn't touch the edge when testing the other pins.

5 minutes ago, AttacksOnYaks said:

Thanks, I figured as much. When I first tested the pin to the point I was going to solder the wire to, I could have sworn that it wasn't connected. Maybe my probe didn't touch the edge when testing the other pins.

Maybe it just wasn't designed that way in that cable, seems like a lot of manufacturers don't ground the casing.

It shouldn't be a problem though.

If there is shielding in your cable, that should be connected to the housing instead of the ground.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020