My precious...

Just under two months ago, my daily driver laptop was a Dell Inspiron 14 3452. This machine was equipped with a Celeron N3050, 4GB of RAM, 32GB eMMC storage, a 14" 768p screen, and an alright port selection. Definitely nothing serious, but I did like it, and I actually still have it because it's served me relatively well. The keyboard was clearly budget but surprisingly sturdy and tactile. I used it through a few of my online school courses, and day to day web browsing. This lightweight and low power machine was actually something I was happy to use. I ran Solus because it's my favorite operating system, and it performed admirably on such limited hardware. I use it now to do testing with different Linux powered operating systems, but not much else. Sooo, that brings me to one of the reasons I'm making this thread.

I've found a replacement.

Almost two months ago, I was walking around in Best Buy on my birthday. Strolling around the laptop section, inspecting the Dell hardware as I'd consider myself quite partial to their machines... A sale was afoot! $200 off on all Dell machines and if I didn't get Office, it was even cheaper! This was great for a few reasons. The first being that I don't use Office anyway. I don't use Windows, and even if I did, I typically just use LibreOffice because it's free, quick to set up and install without logins/credentials, and I've become accustomed to it over the last couple years. The machine that caught my eye was the very machine I'm typing this on, the Dell Inspiron 15 7579 laptop. A 15" laptop with an i5 7200U, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB M.2 SSD, a backlit keyboard, and some other cool things that really interested me. Now, I will admit, there were other options, but I really wasn't in need of an XPS, and I honestly really like the Inspiron machines. for ~$500, I was pretty satisfied with what I got. I've got this laptop running Solus, and I'm very pleased with my experience. Between the sleek, aluminium chassis and solid performance of the laptop, to the snappy, clean, and elegant operating system I'm running, I wouldn't ask for more. I expect this to last me a fairly decent amount of time. The keyboard is honestly one of my favorites so far on a laptop.

You're telling me this, why?

Well, I can't answer that question in any way that suggests my intent is to sell you a product or to rally for things that I like. I just wanted to share an experience of mine with the folks here. Also, it's been a long while since I've been active on this forum. I quite miss it. My first thread in a while!

*SCREENSHOT INTENSIFIES*

Untitled.png

Edited by Schyken
copy/pasted image fails to show

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

Hmm Solus looks interesting is it for the faint hearted?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

3 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Hmm Solus looks interesting is it for the faint hearted?

Personally, I'd say so. It's relatively simple. The team does a lot to ensure the terminal isn't always the first thing you end up popping open ;) The Budgie Desktop is moving over to Qt which brings a lot more flexibility to the desktop environment while also being just a normal upgrade. (there's a testing ISO out for Patreons, which looks nice). If you want some more information, https://solus-project.com has some links that might help, and they're very active on social media to inform the community of things being worked on. They have their own repos, and if there's something you need that you don't see there, you can request it, and though there are things that could prevent its inclusion, it's relatively straightforward. Anyway, I digress. I could go on for hours, but that wouldn't do much good :P

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

2 minutes ago, Schyken said:

Personally, I'd say so. It's relatively simple. The team does a lot to ensure the terminal isn't always the first thing you end up popping open ;) The Budgie Desktop is moving over to Qt which brings a lot more flexibility to the desktop environment while also being just a normal upgrade. (there's a testing ISO out for Patreons, which looks nice). If you want some more information, https://solus-project.com has some links that might help, and they're very active on social media to inform the community of things being worked on. They have their own repos, and if there's something you need that you don't see there, you can request it, and though there are things that could prevent its inclusion, it's relatively straightforward. Anyway, I digress. I could go on for hours, but that wouldn't do much good :P

Huh might try it if I find a AM3 CPU for cheap and a storage drive

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500