Baby-steps in OC - so far

I've been tinkering with some basic overclocking with an i7-7700k

So far its been a lazy process, just notching up the multiplier (43), cache ratio (43) and the bclk set at 100.0. 

So the multiplier has to be the same as the cache ratio?

I've only been running prime95 (v28.1) for stability tests, with my H80i, i've managed to reach 4.4 without throttling/freezing/overly high temps.

I haven't tinkered with the voltages yet, fearing that I might screw something up.

I've been under the impression that overclocking, by setting the multipliers and base clock up, by default it would constantly run at 4.2ghz? but it is not usually the case, as i sometimes dip to 3.8ghz

what am i doing wrong? 

If you are manually setting your clocks  you need to check your voltages because most likely the board is automatically setting them for you if left on Auto. This can be very bad because even minor manual overclocks usually cause the bios too push more volts then is needed to achieve those clocks if voltage is left on auto.

Also are you aware that the 7700k will auto  boost to 4.5ghz at stock ? Atm you are not necessarily overclocking anything considering stock speeds will boost to 4.5ghz when needed.

with Skylake and Kaby Lake there is NO real reason to screw with BCLK overclocking unless you are just trying to push every last single Megahertz you can, definitely DO NOT leave the voltage on Auto (heck stock speeds run at much higher voltage then needed) when doing ANY overclocking and use Aida64 not Prime 95 for testing, if your Windows "Power Profile" is set to balanced (like it most likely is unless you changed it) then you will see clock speed dips, to ensure full clock speed all the time use the Performance Power Profile or I think there is a setting in the BIOS you can use too (it's been a while)

8 hours ago, deepfriedcpus said:

Also are you aware that the 7700k will auto  boost to 4.5ghz at stock ? Atm you are not necessarily overclocking anything considering stock speeds will boost to 4.5ghz when needed.

kinda, i thought the boost is just temporary. i want to be running at 4.5ghz at all times.

i've set the multiplier to 45 and ran prime95 only to see it throttle/freeze after 20mins. the cooling system i have now isnt great, its a corsair h55 due to space constraints in a silverstone sg13 case. i'm looking to upgrade to a h80iv2 or nzxt x31/x42 

how do i ensure good voltages?

8 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

with Skylake and Kaby Lake there is NO real reason to screw with BCLK overclocking unless you are just trying to push every last single Megahertz you can, definitely DO NOT leave the voltage on Auto (heck stock speeds run at much higher voltage then needed) when doing ANY overclocking and use Aida64 not Prime 95 for testing, if your Windows "Power Profile" is set to balanced (like it most likely is unless you changed it) then you will see clock speed dips, to ensure full clock speed all the time use the Performance Power Profile or I think there is a setting in the BIOS you can use too (it's been a while)

all i want to do is for now, is take the cpu running at the max turboboost speed (i have poor cooling), at all times. how do i do that? thanks in advance

On 7/7/2017 at 11:26 PM, jonnyyyl said:

all i want to do is for now, is take the cpu running at the max turboboost speed (i have poor cooling), at all times. how do i do that? thanks in advance

start by using Aida 64 to make sure the core drop isn't from thermal throttling, if it's not I would start by going into the BIOS and restore default settings, then return to windows and adjust the power plan to run on High Performance (on Windows 10 this can be done by typing "power plan" into the Windows Search, the "best match" will be "choose a power plan" click on that and it will open the control panel window to the main Power Options page, there is a click down for "Show additional plans", typically the "HIgh Performance" plan is hidden under the additional plans so click to show additional plans and select that plan, that should lock your core clock all the way up unless you are thermally limited and throttling from heat (which Aida 64 will show you).

A quick follow up question

So I took fellow members' suggestions to set a fixed CPU voltage. When Prime95 runs and my computer freezes, how do I know if I should push up the voltages or lower the multiplier? 

Thanks

Don't use Prime95 (it's a known CPU-killer and not worth the risk).

And when in doubt start slowly and work your way up. So I would suggest lowering both until you're stable and then try gradually increasing things.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

14 hours ago, Amaranth said:

Don't use Prime95 (it's a known CPU-killer and not worth the risk).

And when in doubt start slowly and work your way up. So I would suggest lowering both until you're stable and then try gradually increasing things.

So just Aida 64 and cinebench then?

both? so i'll start low with the multiplier, leave the bclk to 100, and low voltages then? 

Just as a high voltage can fry the cpu, what will happen if I start with a too-low of a voltage?

1 hour ago, jonnyyyl said:

So just Aida 64 and cinebench then?

both? so i'll start low with the multiplier, leave the bclk to 100, and low voltages then? 

Just as a high voltage can fry the cpu, what will happen if I start with a too-low of a voltage?

aida is fine but i personally like to use cinebench R15 / asus realbench / OCCT

don't touch bclk leave that on 100. all you need to use really is the multiplier and voltages.

everyone has their own opinion on how high the voltages should be but i would stay below 1.4V on a 7700k, also with a H80i you're kinda limited on how far you can push your chip.

if your goal is 4.5GHz i would start on 1.250V(if your cooler allows it) if that turns out to be stable lower the voltages to 1.225V and keep going lower untill it crashes. it's just a matter of finding out what your cpu can do. not every cpu is the same. 

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

4 hours ago, jonnyyyl said:

You might Blue Screen or Freeze but you're not going to damage parts because you're using too little voltage (in fact, Undervolting is something that many people do to cut down on heat and power draw).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

15 hours ago, Amaranth said:

You might Blue Screen or Freeze but you're not going to damage parts because you're using too little voltage (in fact, Undervolting is something that many people do to cut down on heat and power draw).

17 hours ago, wildthing said:

aida is fine but i personally like to use cinebench R15 / asus realbench / OCCT

don't touch bclk leave that on 100. all you need to use really is the multiplier and voltages.

everyone has their own opinion on how high the voltages should be but i would stay below 1.4V on a 7700k, also with a H80i you're kinda limited on how far you can push your chip.

if your goal is 4.5GHz i would start on 1.250V(if your cooler allows it) if that turns out to be stable lower the voltages to 1.225V and keep going lower untill it crashes. it's just a matter of finding out what your cpu can do. not every cpu is the same. 

Thanks guys. Will give it a go this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate the tips. 

Thanks a lot! 

A side quest, I have an old i4-4771 laying around. I know it is not OC-able, but with turbo boost of up to (3.9ghz), and having read that it is possible to OC a little bit. I assume its the same that you just change the multiplier to 39, and tinker with the voltages? 

thanks